• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    In other news, OH poll now has Trump +4. If he can maintain that, then it won't be a landslide for HRC.

If he can build on it and get FL, then he's got a puncher's chance.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    T. Lex and the other regulars herein, I think this relates to EC. I heard McMullen interviewed on NPR today, and he was touting the throwing the election to the house scenario. He liked his chances to outright win Utah and said he was doing well in Idaho. He did not think it was likely that the results would be close enough to send the election to the house, but it sounded like he wanted to be in a position to make the play if it went down that way.

FiveThirtyEight seems to give the scenario a little bit of credibility How Evan McMullin Could Win Utah And The Presidency | FiveThirtyEight

A couple of questions. How do you view a dark horse's chances to win Utah outright (especially in light of the rumor that Romney might endorse his candidacy). He stated that in the event the election went to the house, that the house was required (constrained?) to choose from among the top three vote-getters in the EC. This is the first I have heard of this constraint, can anyone cofirm or deny? He was pretty confident that if he won Utah that he would have the third highest EC vote tally, as he did not think Johnson or Stein would win any states and would have no EC votes. Any opinions on whether he is likely to be correct?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    A couple of questions. How do you view a dark horse's chances to win Utah outright (especially in light of the rumor that Romney might endorse his candidacy). He stated that in the event the election went to the house, that the house was required (constrained?) to choose from among the top three vote-getters in the EC. This is the first I have heard of this constraint, can anyone cofirm or deny? He was pretty confident that if he won Utah that he would have the third highest EC vote tally, as he did not think Johnson or Stein would win any states and would have no EC votes. Any opinions on whether he is likely to be correct?

Fair questions; responses not in any particular order.

First, I know of no such constraint, but that may be the tradition. I vaguely recall there may have been 1 time where it didn't play out that way. Either way, I don't believe either the House or Senate are bound by anything along those lines. Now, there may be moral constraints, but these are politicians, so that is a dubious assumption. ;)

Second, based on my amateur EC mapping, it won't matter. Trump will need to carry OH, FL, NC, and all the other traditionally red states to keep it close. I think it is still more likely that HRC has a big enough margin that it won't matter.

Finally, I don't know how to predict how well a non-HRC/non-DJT candidate will do there. I don't really know anyone out there that I'd trust to give me a fair answer. Plus, there's no way at all to predict how many people out there will stay home out of disgust/disdain, even with a Romney endorsement.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Fox News moves Texas from 'Solid R' to 'Lean R'

CvDwR3nUEAAFc-f.jpg:large

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wow.

Tossups include NC, AZ, and UT. That's kinda crazy.

And GA as a "Lean GOP."

But IA as "Lean GOP" is a bit different. Give him credit for that. And credit for some places, like MN, that are "Lean Dem" instead of solid. So, there could be moral victories buried in there.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Overnight poll from NC has HRC +2 (within the MOE of course). Trump is campaigning there Friday. Pence is out west.

Looks like its been about a month since a poll had DJT ahead in NC. Now, most of them are within the MOE, but that's not the kind of momentum you want. If HRC takes NC, she could clear 300 EC delegates.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok. Honestly, that's a worst-case scenario for Trump.

I'd be surprised if it was that big of a blowout; but not surprised if she cleared 300.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Ok, now some new stuff.

First, important to me personally, Trump +6 in Indiana now. That's outside the MOE, I believe.
    Hoosier Survey: Trump leads in Indiana, Pence helps | WISH-TV

Then:
    ME - Clinton only up 6, which seems pretty close to me, and only up 1 in the 2d Congressional District there.
    GA - Trump only up 2, which is probably too close for comfort.

ETA:
    My own worst-day-for-HRC still has her at 279. :(

Top Bottom