• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I was out in the wind all day today, checked out of Crane around 3:00. Wanted to try and hang on until dark, but the wind was just crazy.

Only heard 1 shot all day and that was a guy I ran into during lunch, had a small doe.

Most folks I talked to didn't see anything all day, so a couple of small bucks and a few does when I went to check out.

I'll keep at it with the bow on base and shotgun on the farm, I'm getting warmer.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I won't hunt in the wind like that again. I let my quest for first buck cloud my judgement. There is still plenty of season left and I don't need to die trying. Saw too many branches flying around and breaking.

On a safety note, my Summit Climber became a hang on, as I had ratchet straps on both sections and the Gorilla harness tethered to the tree. ;)

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    386343_10150535837536521_828241520_11252554_461317352_n.jpg
    My first deer kill. Got it with a shotgun about 15 ft away dropped instantly. 15 pointer officially #160 after field dressing.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Well I went to church this morning, God first! This afternoon I was sitting in the fence row by 2 O'clock. I knew from last year during late mzldr that the wind is a beast in that spot. This year I put up a 4' long by 38" tall piece of plywood between myself and the wind. I had a nice sit today, very little wind hitting me. I sit in a gobbler lounger close to the ground. If you try to tell me that the deer don't move in the wind, I will tell you your crazy. I saw 25 deer this evening. They started coming out of the wood work at 4:45. Most were 150-200 yds from me. I did see 1 buck he was on the east side of the fence dead down wind from me, never knew I was there. I have plans to put a back and a top on my fence row condo. You know in case of rain and snow.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Got a good freezer buck today. Basket rack, about 120 lbs dressed. Now if I can get a nice doe, I'll be happy.

Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag.

Extremely windy today, as was yesterday. Sitting between 2 trees along a creek about 8:30 am, expecting to see something off to my left as I had seen a buck there previously. Squirrels were making a racket in the leaves all morning and heard them off to my right. I slowly turned my head to check and there was this young buck about 20 yards away, getting a drink of water. I slowly started to turn so I could take aim. He pulled up once and I froze. he went back to getting a drink. Got him sighted in and he turned to his left so the only shot I had was in his arse. He went another 5 yards and turned broadside. I let him have it. He ran off about 40-50 yards down the creek and then dropped.
    Small in size, but he'll make nice steaks and summer sausage.

Last edited:

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Saw nothing but squirrels and turkey in the stand yesterday. I kicked up 4 deer walking to and from the stand. The wind was howling this morning and none of us wanted to be out in that stuff. I stopped by Brown County Park on the way home and found a little something. If the wind and rain don't ruin it, I'll be there tomarrow and Tuesday. If it does, then just Tuesday. Good luck to all. And to those who scored, I don't like you any more:D. Congrats.

shaynster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 27, 2009
    Rochester
    I shot this one Satuday morning at 7:15 and sat until 9:00 and didn't see another deer. My brother in-law and nephew's hunted a wood a half mile away and only saw 1 deer all day, a very slow day.

100_8532.jpg

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    All these pics and stories are getting me anxious. I usually bow hunt here all year long, but with work and schedule change, and losing my private land to hunt on, I haven't had the opportunity to get out yet this year. I am however getting the chance go go back home to VA for opening week of rifle season. Plan on hunting next Saturday the 19th threw Wednesday the 23rd. Now I just hope my scope comes in this week and I get the chance to sight my .270 in before gun season. Good Luck to all those hunters that are still at it, and keep up the good work.

iufan2010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    southeast side of indy
    C'Mon man, you gotta tell the story for us noobs to learn!

It was about 6:50 when he first walked by, saw a glimpse of a rack not sure how big it was. Didn't have a shot though. He came back by 5 minutes later, passed behind a tree, I raised my gun, he came out the other side and I took the shot. Passed through the lower neck, nicked the right lung, and passed through the right shoulder. That's all she wrote. It was my first deer so not much advice :dunno: Good luck though!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    Hello all!!
    Its been a great season, I've been blessed with two does and two bucks (yes, totally legal). Thank the Lord for good, safe hunting.

This is an 8 point from the Nov 9 Big Oaks hunt, shot with .500 S&W.
    picture.php

Here is the buck I took this morning, Nov 14. Ends up being a 9 point with the brow tine 2 inch kicker, I guess it counts. 500 S&W Handi Rifle. The boys loved it, couple of hunters and shooters in the early years!

picture.php

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Knight Master Hunter 2000, Smith & Wesson 629 Classic with 8-5/8" barrel. I carry both. This morning before light I had a deer sneeze 10 yds in front of me. I could barely make out the outline of the deer. It then walked behind me out of sight, I thought she had left, wrong. I heard this awful fart, looked to my left and there she was. hahahaha lol. I did see a coyote coming from the west and behind him about 80 yds was a nice buck walking the outside edge of the woods. He went into the woodline and I watched him until he dissapeared at about 120 yds from me. He never presented a shot. About 10 O'clock a herd of 20 plus turkeys came walking and feeding into my line of sight. Here I thought the coyotes ate them all, as I haven't seen them this fall until now.

Top Bottom