• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    In the stand by 6am...didnt see anything. Got down at 1 and went walking. Found 2 large scrapes along with a tree that had been torn up by horns.

I am starting to buy into the moon phases stuff. Watching deer and deer hunting TV lastnight. They said worst day to hunt is the day after a full moon..best is 3-4 days pre/post.

newguyjosh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Saw nothing all morning and nothing so far tonight. Wind advisory for tomorrow with 45 mPh gusts. Might be a dissapointing opening weekend if no action soon

buckhunterbb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Kimmell
    Went out at 6am this morning. Had 1 deer(i think) take off while walking back to stand.
    Only seen 1 white tail moving thru about 5 minutes after gunshot nearby.
    Heard around 75 shots by 8am.
    Went back out this evening. Does were moving by 4:15pm,group of 3. Seen does about all evening afterwards. Had to yearlings pop up about 15 yards from me at 5:35pm.
    No bucks seen today.
    Wind will be a bummer tomorrow. Was wanting to hunt woods tomorrow. Was in a grown up weed area today. May have to hunt the same spot tomorrow.
    Congrats to those who scored today.

JDubb

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Frankfort IN
    I heard total of 10 shots 2 very close and rest were distant. did see 5 little ones today around 9am nothing else till dark.....
    choosing option "C" for tomorrow and that is call if you get one................LOL

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I saw quite a bit of activity today. This morning I shot at a doe with the muzzleloader and missed her. I came home and checked the scope to make sure it was dialed in at 100 yds and it was. Then tonight I had a big buck come out he was 50 yds and I had the crosshairs right on his chest. He was quartering to the right but facing me, I could see his whole left side. I let the power belt fly and he ran like a mad banshee. I could see him until he turned into the woods at 150 yds. I could not find blood. I looked for that deer for 2 hours. No deer. I had a problem last year when I shot my buck, the power belt platinum bullets dont seem to mushroom and it seems like the deer just doesn't bleed out. I think I'm done with the platinums. I had my muzzleloader on a bog pod tripod and I was holding the barrel down. I still think there is no way I missed that deer. I hate it when that happens.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I saw quite a bit of activity today. This morning I shot at a doe with the muzzleloader and missed her. I came home and checked the scope to make sure it was dialed in at 100 yds and it was. Then tonight I had a big buck come out he was 50 yds and I had the crosshairs right on his chest. He was quartering to the right but facing me, I could see his whole left side. I let the power belt fly and he ran like a mad banshee. I could see him until he turned into the woods at 150 yds. I could not find blood. I looked for that deer for 2 hours. No deer. I had a problem last year when I shot my buck, the power belt platinum bullets dont seem to mushroom and it seems like the deer just doesn't bleed out. I think I'm done with the platinums. I had my muzzleloader on a bog pod tripod and I was holding the barrel down. I still think there is no way I missed that deer. I hate it when that happens.

Although I have no experience with power belt platinum bullets or any of the latest greatest bullets/slugs, I would think that a properly placed shot in the vitals (lungs or heart) would take care of the deer in less than a 100 yards even if it didn't bleed out externally. The deer would loose blood internally instead, giving you the same results as if it bled out externally.
    BTW: I use plain old 2 3/4" (20ga.) Lightfield sabots that are plain jane lead and they mushroom/expand very well. I have never had a deer go more than 60 yards with these when a good shot was made to the vitals.

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    P.S.- went to Pigeon River at 11:00 to hunt the afternoon til 5:56pm. Checked in as hunter number 521! About six trucks were lined up at the check-in station with nice bucks on em.

Guy at the permit counter said it'd been a steady stream of deer getting checked in for about 90 minutes.

Settled into my spot near a funnel & feed lot. Saw another orange headed hunter about 150 yds on the other side of the funnel. Other than that and an older guy who passed me by 10 feet behind me without seeing me (maybe I need a brighter hat :dunno: or the full on blaze coat next time) didn't see any movement at all.

Not too many shots fired either (counted five).

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Although I have no experience with power belt platinum bullets or any of the latest greatest bullets/slugs, I would think that a properly placed shot in the vitals (lungs or heart) would take care of the deer in less than a 100 yards even if it didn't bleed out externally. The deer would loose blood internally instead, giving you the same results as if it bled out externally.
    BTW: I use plain old 2 3/4" (20ga.) Lightfield sabots that are plain jane lead and they mushroom/expand very well. I have never had a deer go more than 60 yards with these when a good shot was made to the vitals.

I agree that the deer would have bled internally. I think once he filled up he would have spilled some someplace. It just blows my mind that I could have missed that deer at 50 yds. I wish I would have had the S&W 629 for that shot. Or even the lever gun in .357. Neither have a scope. I think I will put the mzldr in the locker and use something else.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I agree that the deer would have bled internally. I think once he filled up he would have spilled some someplace. It just blows my mind that I could have missed that deer at 50 yds. I wish I would have had the S&W 629 for that shot. Or even the lever gun in .357. Neither have a scope. I think I will put the mzldr in the locker and use something else.

I feel for you with missing two deer today. I would put the muzzle loader up until I could get out to the range and find out what is going on with it and for no other reason, for the fact that you probably have lost confidence in it. There is still a lot of time left, so get out there and hunt hard.
    Good Luck! :yesway:

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    You guys wont believe me but I ll tell the story anyway. Did not see one deer the whole day but I had my sAMSUNG galaxy tab with me and the 3g internet works in the woods so I hopped on ingo to check out this thread to see what you guys killed since I didnt see anything and boooom heard the woods errupt with cracking branches, hammered a nice 7pt at 4pm lol will post pics tomorrow still in the woods at my camping spot

Last edited:

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I feel for you with missing two deer today. I would put the muzzle loader up until I could get out to the range and find out what is going on with it and for no other reason, for the fact that you probably have lost confidence in it. There is still a lot of time left, so get out there and hunt hard.
    Good Luck! :yesway:

Good point! Off all this week too, so back at it...

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    You guys wont believe me but I ll tell the story anyway. Did not see one deer the whole day but I had my sAMSUNG galaxy tab with me and the 3g internet works in the woods so I hopped on ingo to check out this thread to see what you guys killed since I didnt see anything and boooom heard the woods errupt with cracking branches, hammered a nice 7pt at 4pm lol will post pics tomorrow still in the woods at my camping spot

lol :+1: for :ingo:

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    It's 2 O'clock today and I had just settled into my Gobbler Lounger waiting for the deer to start coming out of the woods. Thought I'd share this cool pic. I'm sitting in a fence row. A very productive spot.
    puss003.jpg

canamscott

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    LaGrange County
    320889_243976268989615_100001317307742_613945_382144847_n.jpg

I got him this morning at 9:15. Four does rushed by and I knew they must be followed. First shot a little high, but put him down. Later I found I broke a shoulder and grazed the spine. Second shot for a final. Used Mossberg 12 gauge and Remington slugs at 40 yards.

He is my first!

Top Bottom