• ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I got lucky with a Kimber

my 1911 are very rarely cleaned. They do get lubed, though.

f12d01f97d13207582d6962651aee4e5.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, it never fails. A nice thread to talk about the 1911 world and someone has to bring up the Glock. Same thing happens in Sig threads, CZ threads...
    I have always said, I have nothing against Glocks and even own several. But the fanbois are annoying.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Yeah, it never fails. A nice thread to talk about the 1911 world and someone has to bring up the Glock. Same thing happens in Sig threads, CZ threads...
    I have always said, I have nothing against Glocks and even own several. But the fanbois are annoying.

I'm a fanboi of what works. IME, that's been my Glocks. I have even tried an M&P, and it wasn't very reliable. I'm not interested in trying an XD. But, I am interested in trying out the 1911. Just haven't been able to afford to get started yet.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Just saying any gun can fail, take my Wilson Professional took it to the range and was running it everything just fine then all the sudden the hammer falls and no bang. I assumed it was a ammo issue as they were reloads so I checked the round and no primer strike at all on the primer. Tried it with another round and the same result.

I am fortunate enough one of the best 1911 gunsmiths in the state lives about 3 miles from my house so I drove over to Ray Saltzmans house and he took it apart. Turns out that the firing pin was too short allowing contaminates to get into the channel and bind it up. Took about 30 minutes for him to fix. Even a $4,000 Wilson Combat can fail despite what Larry Vickers says lol. That being said I still run and carry 1911's primarily

TSwdCSlh.jpg

The gun in question

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    I am smiling huge right now.

They are all machines. Machines fail.

Ive had 4 factory brand new glocks. 1 has worked out of the box.

you can see my adventure when I started using them in a thread here, with problems starting on post 52:
    "Glock Perfection" my ass. So far 3 ejection failures in <1k rounds. Fanboys, defend yourselves!
    -rvb
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/shooting-sports/183441-new-production-gun-6.html#post2605467

Fair and balanced: I've since put a good 25-30k rounds through the G34 and about 5k through the G35 I use in matches since I got the bugs ironed out without a single failure. Same with the G19 with about 3k on it.

i made that video above after the 1st time I'd sent it to glock for repairs. I sent it to their customer service folks. The second time they returned it it failed to extract on the first round I fired. I returned it and said it needed replaced and if they sent me the same gun back I'd drive it down to GA and shove it up their $$$. They sent me a replacement, and it didn't work.

Hows that relate to 1911s? Well, the first one I owned was one I built from parts. All hand files and stones. It worked from day one from a shade-tree gunsmith's efforts...

-rvb

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My experience with Glocks is similar. I've only had a couple that could truly claim 'perfection'. My G19 was the worst 'out of box' experience I've had with any gun, period! When bought, I could not get through 3 consecutive rounds without an FTF. It was an EXO finished gun, which contributed to the issue though. I replaced the recoil spring assy with a guide rod/spring that was much lighter and eventually, it wore in and was reliable afterwords. I've had issues with a G29, G20 and my G30sf seems to think that my face is the best place to send brass to. The G29 and G20 are gone now as are both of the G19s. My G23 has not had an issue that I can remember since new and my G27 was the same if I recall.

Top Bottom