• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No. Never.

You know you want to do it. Just do it. You'll feel better!

When you use the MIM parts and trim everything square to the axis of the pins (believe it when I say so many are not) you take away some of the hardened surface. Tjis shortens the life of the parts considerably. It is much better than original but it is still Mooshy compared to the tooled steel pieces.
    I will consider doing an MIM clean up for some friends but do not recommend it.

It would be possible for the MIM parts used by some makers to be very high quality, but that would cost more. MIM isn't necessarily lesser quality or utility than machined tool steels, but what we see in most commercial 1911s isn't very good as you noted.

I got lucky with a Kimber that had a very nice trigger with the original MIM parts for about 25K rounds. Then the hammer followed. On the other hand, other guns have not yielded the same success.

You need a really good heat treatment for MIM parts to be just good parts and that doesn't always happen.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know you want to do it. Just do it. You'll feel better!

It would be possible for the MIM parts used by some makers to be very high quality, but that would cost more. MIM isn't necessarily lesser quality or utility than machined tool steels, but what we see in most commercial 1911s isn't very good as you noted.

I got lucky with a Kimber that had a very nice trigger with the original MIM parts for about 25K rounds. Then the hammer followed. On the other hand, other guns have not yielded the same success.

You need a really good heat treatment for MIM parts to be just good parts and that doesn't always happen.

25K is a really good number.

As mentioned when I cut everything square to the pin axis some of the hardening is removed. This shortens the round count

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    No. Never.

25K is a really good number.

As mentioned when I cut everything square to the pin axis some of the hardening is removed. This shortens the round count

Yep, same thing happens with stock AR hammers. I don't know about now, but in the 90s the surface hardening on most was very shallow. It didn't take too many swipes on the stone to get to soft metal in some cases.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    They really do put a nice 1911 together. The one I was referring to above is a CZ 1911A1 built by Dan Wesson. The build quality is the same as my DW CCO except for a minor cosmetic bit on the extractor finish. I'm hoping to add a full size stainless Valor to the family next spring.

I figured, but I never say anything about the CZ 1911's as they have been discontinued for a while now. That and supposedly getting warranty work done on them is not easy since CZ cannot really use stock DW parts considering that DW does not make a 1911 A1 model. I think spending the extra couple hundred on the DW Heritage is a better route than the CZ is allot less to upgrade.

It was probably already said in this thread. But I'm asking anyway. What's the beef with MIM parts?

I cannot pass up another opportunity to use this again

E04iivQh.jpg

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Darn people figured it out!! The United States issued a 100% unreliable pistol to our Armed Forces for 70 years?!?!!? Where was Gaston with his magical Tupperware when we needed him???
    Agree with this. So many mention unreliability despite 70 plus years of service. Granted, part is because is takes the military forever to change and adapt anything new, i.e. look at the M16\M4. But, actually if well maintained, they run like a top. Delta Force used them forever, despite the rest of the military going to the M9. And they could pick their own. Other special units as well have them too. Granted last unit just stopped issuing in favor of the Glock, but 105 years of service, seriously think about that and how much everything else in the military has changed. Must absolutely be a reason why they were using them, even recently in the sandbox.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agree with this. So many mention unreliability despite 70 plus years of service. Granted, part is because is takes the military forever to change and adapt anything new, i.e. look at the M16\M4. But, actually if well maintained, they run like a top. Delta Force used them forever, despite the rest of the military going to the M9. And they could pick their own. Other special units as well have them too. Granted last unit just stopped issuing in favor of the Glock, but 105 years of service, seriously think about that and how much everything else in the military has changed. Must absolutely be a reason why they were using them, even recently in the sandbox.

:)

I have no issues with any choice someone makes in a handgun. I might snicker from knowledge gathered over the years as to a certain marque but no issues.
    I have a polymer CZ and 2 steel CZ's nestled in the safe with a group of 1911's. Last I looked they were all getting along nicely.

No G*)%#@'s

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana

Delta Force Larry Vickers, who carried the 1911 in the service, and is a die hard 1911 guy, only recommends the Wilson Combat if you want to carry a 1911. If not a Wilson, he recommends a Glock 19.

He also says the 1911 is more for an experienced gunsmith. If you don't have the money, or even the time, to maintain the 1911, then it's not for you.

If a die hard 1911 guy says that, you can't help but pay attention.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Delta Force Larry Vickers, who carried the 1911 in the service, and is a die hard 1911 guy, only recommends the Wilson Combat if you want to carry a 1911. If not a Wilson, he recommends a Glock 19.

He also says the 1911 is more for an experienced gunsmith. If you don't have the money, or even the time, to maintain the 1911, then it's not for you.

If a die hard 1911 guy says that, you can't help but pay attention.

Well.....he runs the living hell out of his so there is that.

I used to shoot a heck of a lot more than I do now and did not have a 4th of the skills I now have to modify my guns.
    Never seemed to have an issue beyond 12K rounds spring swaps. MIM guts, stock triggers.........the whole 9 yards.

He might have a tie with Wilson.....:):

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    He might have a tie with Wilson.....:):

Maybe. I did see him sitting in the Wilson booth at the NRA show. :@ya:

I do think Wilson makes a nice gun. Only failures I have had with mine was ammo related. Not the guns fault that I seated a primer backwards or Federal didn't put enough powder in a cartridge. I did have some issues with it not wanting to lock back on an empty magazine. Not an uncommon problem with other guns as well. Wilson tweaked something and had the gun back to me quick.

Edit: I would entertain even taking a bet on one of those high profile classes where the instructor will refund your money if your 1911 makes it without a "failure". I do think the gun would make it and I think I could get through it with no user induced flub ups like not disengaging the safety. I am not sure the magazines would take 2-3 days of dropping them in the dirt though. Also not sure I wouldn't fail to seat a magazine properly or the gun wouldn't lock up on empty, but I wouldn't take that bet with any handgun. I can tell you that I spent 3 days in a high round count pistol class with another shooter who would recommend Glocks as the definitive fighting pistol and we both had exactly one malfunction.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Maybe. I did see him sitting in the Wilson booth at the NRA show. :@ya:

I do think Wilson makes a nice gun. Only failures I have had with mine was ammo related. Not the guns fault that I seated a primer backwards or Federal didn't put enough powder in a cartridge. I did have some issues with it not wanting to lock back on an empty magazine. Not an uncommon problem with other guns as well. Wilson tweaked something and had the gun back to me quick.

The slide lock might have been just an "RCH" to tight.

Top Bottom