• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka

I realize that there are various G10 grip patterns like what you linked for the EMP 3. I am more interested in that Walkure Pattern which was previously posted.

I wasn't aware the Commander and Government were both the same size so thank you for that. I'll just hang loose and see if that Walkure pattern becomes available in the near future. Maybe a call to VZ is in order.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Ar6rRc1h.jpg

2d0vFRUh.jpg

Found a good picture of my operator while it was still "virgin" , not a whole lot I think I have left to do to the gun at this point

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Nice stuff Dean. What all has been done in the second photo. Externally, it looks like front strap checkering, a magwell and grips. I'll bet there's a lot more going on inside too.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Nice stuff Dean. What all has been done in the second photo. Externally, it looks like front strap checkering, a magwell and grips. I'll bet there's a lot more going on inside too.

I had the front strap hand checkered at 25 LPI, an Ed Brown two piece mainspring housing and magazine well installed as well (the mainspring checkering matches the front strap and also eliminated Springfields ILS locking system. Then I threw on a pair of VZ carbon fiber grips and a Wilson Combat extra wide "gas pedal" single sided safety. Now sown is the Surefire X300 I put on it as well. Internally most stuff was replaced with Wilson Internals and a Wolf I believe 20# recoil spring. Pretty sweet shooter overall and I am quite happy with how it turned out. Only thing I might do to it in the future is if the Hearing Protection Act is passed I will have it fit with a threaded barrel as well.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    TLfytwOh.jpg

About two years worth of carry and between 4,000-4,500 rounds down the pipe. I am convinced the Duty Treat is the toughest finish on the market and dollar for dollar Dan Wesson makes the best 1911's around.

Just purchased one today. It'll be my first 1911 since carrying one in the service a few decades ago. Of course those were a bit beat up at the time. The one I choose to get is a 9mm which should be easier on my older hands. Anything you can think of in regards to things I should be consider before taking it out to the range? Or anything else that you care to share with regards to this gun. I choose to pay more specifically for the black just because I understand the finish is supposed to be very durable. How are you finding the standard grips? What have you discovered with regards to ammo choices and how long does it generally take to break these in. What magazines have you found to work best?

Thankfull for whatever help you might be willing to share.

Cheers,

Dan

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just purchased one today. It'll be my first 1911 since carrying one in the service a few decades ago. Of course those were a bit beat up at the time. The one I choose to get is a 9mm which should be easier on my older hands. Anything you can think of in regards to things I should be consider before taking it out to the range? Or anything else that you care to share with regards to this gun. I choose to pay more specifically for the black just because I understand the finish is supposed to be very durable. How are you finding the standard grips? What have you discovered with regards to ammo choices and how long does it generally take to break these in. What magazines have you found to work best?

Thankfull for whatever help you might be willing to share.

Cheers,

Dan

Congrats on the new 1911. The best thing to do before shooting is to give it a really good cleaning to clean out the shipping preservative oil and then lube it properly. I've got a couple of DW 1911s and none of them needed a break in period. They just work right out of the box. I'm not saying that you don't need to shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it to get comfortable, but just that the gun is good to go from the start. The Duty Treat finish just does not seem to wear.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Congrats on the new 1911. The best thing to do before shooting is to give it a really good cleaning to clean out the shipping preservative oil and then lube it properly. I've got a couple of DW 1911s and none of them needed a break in period. They just work right out of the box. I'm not saying that you don't need to shoot a couple of hundred rounds through it to get comfortable, but just that the gun is good to go from the start. The Duty Treat finish just does not seem to wear.

Thank you sir. I do kind of want some SS eye candy, but really luv the fact that the duty treat wears so well.

Dddrees

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Central
    Just watch what you clean the gun with. I used some gun scrubber cleaner on my CCO and ended up with a ruined finish on the slide :eek:

That's what a lot of people have said. Currently I plan on using Balistol but I'm keeping an open mind and plan on doing some more research before doing anything. I did also see that using tape on this weapons which I never planned on doing is a bad idea as well. Something about tape being able to attract oil from and this ruining the finish.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That's what a lot of people have said. Currently I plan on using Balistol but I'm keeping an open mind and plan on doing some more research before doing anything. I did also see that using tape on this weapons which I never planned on doing is a bad idea as well. Something about tape being able to attract oil from and this ruining the finish.

Yep. Not saying the finish is poor in any way, just know what not to do ;)

Top Bottom