• ...and so much more!
  • Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I have an innate, instinctive, and learned wary of "affordable" 1911s. I just don't think you go looking into the 1911 market with inexpensive as your starting point. Just too many little things that can go wrong with that particular platform, and "affordable" often means that corners are cut either in quality of parts or time spent on fitting parts.

The 1911 requires skill and know how and time to make reliable. It also requires quality parts to allow that reliability to last for thousands of rounds.

If you want affordable and reliability, get a GLOCK or something in that genre. When you've saved up some money, get a 1911.

Just some sage advice based upon the experiences of thousands of owners of "affordable" 1911s whose woes are documented on many forums on the "interwebs".

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The 1911 requires skill and know how and time to make reliable. It also requires quality parts to allow that reliability to last for thousands of rounds.

If you want affordable and reliability, get a GLOCK or something in that genre. When you've saved up some money, get a 1911.

False. The original 1911 was designed so that you could have 10 parts kits in a bucket and assemble 10 fully operational and reliable handguns without any hand fitting. The notion that everything needs hand fit on a 1911 came when people started demanding tighter tolerancing and nicer fit and finish.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    False. The original 1911 was designed so that you could have 10 parts kits in a bucket and assemble 10 fully operational and reliable handguns without any hand fitting. The notion that everything needs hand fit on a 1911 came when people started demanding tighter tolerancing and nicer fit and finish.

Yeah the 1911 is a workhorse gun. My experience has been that the really expensive 1911's have the most reliability problems. That is one of the reasons I never invested in anything above a Sig or Springfield 1911. I want a 1911 that is reliable and I don't have to tune. I want a 1911 that I don't need tools to take down. I want a 1911 that will feed what I want in it, not what it likes.

I shot a lot of WWII issue 1911's in the USMC and although they were not nail drivers they were reliable as hell. In the reliability department I will take my RIA just as soon as any of the other major manufactures 1911's. I am not trying to ping gongs at 100 yards with my 1911's.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    I have had really good luck with all the high end 1911's. I've owned Browns, Baers, Wilsons as well as currently Sig STX(top shelf sig), STI and a few SA's with my PRO being the top choice I currently have. Colts all rattled, but were reliable and fairly accurate. I've had three Mimbers and with the exception of one, Yonkers can keep the rest of them. I've also owned several less expensive ones with a $375 nib RIA milspec having one of the best frame/slide fit for a production gun... would love to still have that one for my Harrison custom. I love how people say expensive 1911's don't run...

johnb62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Oct 15, 2008
    Evansville Area
    Gentlemen please stop discussing 1911 in 9mm. I am starting to feel ill. I already washed my eyes out thinking that was not what I actually read. I believe cambering 1911's in 9mm was started by the Sciencetology cult. It really has no place in polite society and you know children do read INGO, we wouldn't want to corrupt young minds now would we? :dunno:

Loving my STI Trojan and Ranger II in 9mm:patriot:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Not sure that my opinion matters. Regarding "high end" 1911s and reliability, I invested in a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite this spring. Great gun, shoots awesome. Even has the bushingless cone barrel. I have about 800 rounds through it so far with zero malfunctions. The exception being the slide sometimes does not lock back on an empty mag. So far I have shot Aquila, RWS, Rem UMC, WWB, federal AE, Blazer and even some lswc handloads. The gun is stupid accurate and well built. I am very happy with the purchase and feel that the Les Baers and Wilson Combats are worth the price. Yes I carry this gun.

I also have a 9mm Smith & Wesson SW1911. Mid grade gun that I would put on par with Sigs and Springfield. Also zero malfunctions. For a first 1911 look at the SW1911, Springfield and Sigs. Maybe a Ruger? (I have not shot one.)

RIA good value but I have seen more then one choke on the range. Kimbers and Colt are over hyped.

Last edited:

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    Not sure that my opinion matters. Regarding "high end" 1911s and reliability, I invested in a Wilson Combat Tactical Elite this spring. Great gun, shoots awesome. Even has the bushingless cone barrel. I have about 800 rounds through it so far with zero malfunctions. The exception being the slide sometimes does not lock back on an empty mag. So far I have shot Aquila, RWS, Rem UMC, WWB, federal AE, Blazer and even some lswc handloads. The gun is stupid accurate and well built. I am very happy with the purchase and feel that the Les Baers and Wilson Combats are worth the price. Yes I carry this gun.

I also have a 9mm Smith & Wesson SW1911. Mid grade gun that I would put on par with Sigs and Springfield. Also zero malfunctions. For a first 1911 look at the SW1911, Springfield and Sigs. Maybe a Ruger? (I have not shot one.)

RIA good value but I have seen more then one choke on the range. Kimbers and Colt are over hyped.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to this man... I've had a chance to shoot his WC & he knows of what he speaks... :+1:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but listen to this man... I've had a chance to shoot his WC & he knows of what he speaks... :+1:

The only problem is that you out shot me with my own gun. :laugh: But I will admit that you experienced the only failure that I have ever seen that gun have. Second round and failure to feed. I did not examine the gun since you cleared it and kept shooting but I suspect that you did not seat the magazine completely. Stuff like that will happen, especially with somebody else's gun that a person has never fired. Since it didn't happen to me it doesn't count.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    The only problem is that you out shot me with my own gun. :laugh: ... I suspect that you did not seat the magazine completely.

True, I did well having never held it before & I believe that my baseplate hit the magwell & didn't seat properly, causing the FTF... Not the gun's fault, but the fault of my not knowing the firearm. LoL

copperhead-1911

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    New Castle
    I too once got bit by the 1911 bug. My first was an ati 1911 commander ( great gun) and the second was a colt 1911 commander ( both were commander atually)

First off don't discount a used gun as they have a break in period and you can save some dough with used guns. I have occasionally seen colts for $500 that are perfectly functioning.

An ati or rock island armony might be a good start. If you get into taurus you could almost get a springfield for just a little more and I would save up in that case.

JLL101

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    As an alternative to a straight 1911 and the 4 weapons you listed, there are several 1911 like high quality guns out there that can oftentimes be found at well under $500 you might want to consider. For example, I have seen the Sig 226 and the Beretta 92FS in very good condition sell at very reasonable prices at local central Indiana gun shows. There are other similar good used guns around. I picked up a Beretta in SS last fall for a little over $400. It belonged to an LEO but he had not used it as a carry weapon and had only put about 500 or so rounds through it. To me it looked like it had barely been shot. The gun will accept 10, 15 and 17 round magazines in 9mm.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As an alternative to a straight 1911 and the 4 weapons you listed, there are several 1911 like high quality guns out there that can oftentimes be found at well under $500 you might want to consider. For example, I have seen the Sig 226 and the Beretta 92FS in very good condition sell at very reasonable prices at local central Indiana gun shows. There are other similar good used guns around. I picked up a Beretta in SS last fall for a little over $400. It belonged to an LEO but he had not used it as a carry weapon and had only put about 500 or so rounds through it. To me it looked like it had barely been shot. The gun will accept 10, 15 and 17 round magazines in 9mm.

I'd take my Beretta commercial M9 (or a 92FS) over any 1911 (or clone thereof) I've ever seen. Then, again, I'm just one of the "odd balls" who has never been bitten by the 1911 bug.

Top Bottom