• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Every area of interest has loyalists who insist their opinion is the only legitimate one. Ford/Chevy, Honda/Toyota, Honda/Harley, open bow/closed bow, Synthetic/dino, # 7-1/2 or # 8. And we have 1911/others. Take the top 5 shooters from IPSC, IHMSA, IDPA, BULLSEYE and USPSA. MAKE them shoot something different for a month. They will still be the top 5 in each of their disciplines. The winning man has winning ways.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    For me there is only love for the 1911. :rockwoot:

My hand fits the slim single stack grip of the 1911 better than the fat double stack grips on so many plastic guns, (I also have an XD) The SA trigger of the 1911 also allows me to shoot better.

Plus the 1911 is what I cut my teeth on in basic way back when I was 17. :patriot:

No hate for the Glock or most anything else here, I just prefer the 1911.

Small's

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    south of Indy
    I love 1911 guns. When i was a teenager my grandpa had a colt gold cup national match and two 50cal cans full of reloads. He would tell to shoot it all i want and i did. One of the best feeling guns out there. I dont think there is that much hate for them. I understand why alot of guys dont like them for self defense or shtf compared to a glock, m&p etc. Most of them are no where near as reliable and i dont say that from hate. Ive heard from many trainers and guys who have taken multiple handgun classes and even had 1911's before that when they get hot and start getting dirty they will start jamming up.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I must have one reliable as hell 1911...the last IDPA match I went to I saw more malfunctions with the polymer pistols (glock,xd,m&p) than my 1911 which had none. Then again my 1911 is 21 years old, had the internals rebuilt by Springfield Armory, and it is a little loose which is why it runs dry and dirty when others wont.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    A 1991 that is tightly fitted will run for days if it is kept lubed. Even if it's filthy. Heat doesn't have any effect on reliability. Neither does looseness. I have run 1911s for 1000 rounds straight many times and they never choked. I would be willing to bet that 90% of the time you see a 1911 choke - the cause is a faulty magazine, faulty ammo and an out of spec extractor. The most common problem I have seen over the years were magazines and ammo - not the guns (assuming the gun was built by someone who knew what they were doing). But the 1911 is a gun that more people mess with than almost any other design and try to drop in parts in that don't fit. The War Dept. would not have accepted the 1911 if there was any problem with the design. None of the other guns in the original trial made it through the test. The 1911 did and kept going.

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Its a sickness. There is nor cure, but it can be put into submission with a regular purchase of a an additional 1911!

Man, ain't that the truth. I really wish those regular doses of the medicine would last longer. Or, it would be nice to see Igottohavemore1911s syndrome covered by my health insurance. My doctor could write me a prescription for a Les Baer 1911 and it would still cost less than a years worth of high blood pressure medicine and would do a better job of lowering my blood pressure to boot.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    People hate 1911's because the top competitors and best shooters use them. They are jealous that their precious overpriced Glocks aren't at the top.

glockhound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2015
    Columbus
    IMHO, the best gun to carry is the one you intend to practice with and are able to reliably hit the target with when it matters. Caliber isn't really a factor to me. Ive seen plenty of folks that couldn't run a 9mm but were able to fit with a 40 or 45 pretty well and vice versa. It all comes down to practice.

Top Bottom