• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I kinda wanna disagree, but I really just feel privileged that Harley replied to my post. You're like Batman, Harley. I don't see you for a while, open a thread after you've already left, wonder where you've been, then BAM! There you are! Nice to get to talk to ya.

Sumtimez....my WiFi's fer shizzola...:rolleyes:....but I do whut I can.....:):

hps

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    I've got thousands of rds through my 1911's and the only one I've had any issues with is the Sig stainless carry. And,And THEY ARE ALL FACTORY!!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    This'd be the Holy Grail fer me......:):
    Wilson-combat-classic-supergrade-1.jpg

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'm here to stir ****. Honestly though, I have seen more 1911's fail at matches then any other.

I didn't know anybody in the cool kid squad ran guns for adults. :stickpoke: All of us old guys have pistols that run just fine. Only issue that I have encountered with any of my 1911s is the top round not feeding in the 9mm and my accidently flipping the safety back up during magazine changes. I did have some trigger freeze issues but I think I got that worked out now by adjusting the grip safety a bit. Truth be told it is more an issue with my girly grip then the gun itself.

My Wilson Combat and Smith PC1911 have been flawless so long as they are fed good ammo. Can't blame the gun for a high primer, long OAL or low powder charge.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So what are the failure modes and which modes do each pistol have the most?

FTEject, FTFeed, DFeed, FTLockOpen, Light strike,... what else?

I have a Springfield 1911 & plastic guns (no Glocks). I haven't had any failures with the 1911 but I also shoot it much less. The failures with the plasti-guns have mostly been ammo related. I used to buy a lot of Corbon but my newer guns HATE it and have a lot of FTF using it. Even the Powe-R-ball stuff has caused trouble. My Steyr pistols have been near perfect with the newer designed extractors.

I'm curious what exact 1911 failures people see and is it something a good 1911 tuner like CM can resolve.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

I have a Springfield 1911 & plastic guns (no Glocks). I haven't had any failures with the 1911 but I also shoot it much less. The failures with the plasti-guns have mostly been ammo related. I used to buy a lot of Corbon but my newer guns HATE it and have a lot of FTF using it. Even the Powe-R-ball stuff has caused trouble. My Steyr pistols have been near perfect with the newer designed extractors.

I'm curious what exact 1911 failures people see and is it something a good 1911 tuner like CM can resolve.

Most common 1911 issues for me. Failure to feed or extract as it relates to extractor. I am not a 1911 mechanic but figuring out how the internal extractor is supposed to work is not that hard. Magazines. Not all guns run with all magazines and ammo combinations because of differences in feedlip design or the body not being long enough to hold 8 rounds properly.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm here to stir ****. Honestly though, I have seen more 1911's fail at matches then any other.

Let me ask you this.........What is the majority of the competitors running in your series.

I do not compete but I do shoot. We run the snot out of our guns. Maybe not at the level of a serious competition but way more than the average guy does. Just have to think very hard to remember any failures. Had a mechanical failure on a Para my son put in excess of 10 K through. That gun had ate a load of +p in its service life.

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Bone stock 1911's have never given me any problems with good magazines loaded up with ANY ammo. They are pure joy to shoot. When you step up to semi and full custom 1911's... Your shooting experience becomes exceptionable. Haters are just gonna keep on hate'in.

Professional Operator, John Harrison full custom Champion and SACS EMP.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Let me ask you this.........What is the majority of the competitors running in your series.

Production - Glock, M&P, CZs & XDs catch most of them. You will see the occasional Sig or misc whatever.
    Single Stack - 1911s
    Limited - 2011s
    Open - 2011s

see a trend here?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yup.......Round count seems to rule.

Put a lot of high round count guns with custom parts, light reloads, people fiddling with springs and who knows what other modifications in one place. Something is going to break.

I have also also seen the plastic guns fail. Machines break. Fact of life.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Most issues I've seen have been ammo related. I built a bunch of .45 that was too short to run well and I was getting failure to feed in both my Glock 21 and 1911s. That was my failure and I don't count it against any of the guns. When I went back to 1.270 OAL, they all ran fine again. Before I started to use a full length sizing die, I would run into bulged cases that would not chamber in any platform. Again, ammo, not the gun. I now use a full length die and spot check with a chamber gauge and don't have those issues again.

With Glocks, I had a G19 that needed broken in before it would run target ammo. It was a gen 3 that would not cycle with the stock G23 recoil assy. I put a Wolf reduced power spring in it after fighting it for 50 rounds and it worked fine. After about 150, I put the stock on back in and it was good to go.

Early on, my G20 had a few stove pipe cases and I've seen a couple on 1911s too.

Overall though, when I eliminate my reloading screw ups, the 1911s have been rock solid. Once broken in, most of the Glocks have been too. The G29 never was though.

Top Bottom