• wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I've gotten bitten by the 1911 bug and I can't shake it :(

I spent a couple hours at USDS yesterday drooling over the ones they had on display and the two I seem to have stuck in my mind at the Ruger SR1911 and the Sig Sauer Scorpion 1911. When I first got bit by the bug, I researched and thought I'd get an SA RO. I've since decided I don't really like the RO as much as I'd hoped I would. The Ruger SR1911 seems like one heck of a deal. Great price and a solid gun. I'm tempted to go with the Sig Scorpion though. I'm really drawn to the looks and the coloring. Problem is it's quite a bit more than the SR1911. I've read a lot of 1911 threads here and it seems the Ruger SR1911 and the SA RO are really good entry level 1911's, which has me leaning towards the Ruger, especially since it's lower in price. Decisions, decisions... :cool:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    That's pretty nice, but a few things with it I'm not sure I'd like. I'm not much on the parkerized / blued / black look. The stainless of the SR1911 appeals to me, as does the FDE finish on the Scorpion. I've also found the SR1911 in stock for $100 less than that STI, which I think is a steal.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The beautiful part is, you're not limited to one, single buy. Once you acquire one, you can move on to your next favorite...and so on and so on.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Yeah, I know. My finances are such that this might be my last handgun purchase for a while, so I want to be happy with it :)

Also, just found out I had accidentally added the gun to my cart twice, which is why it wouldn't work. Dropped the dupe and now it's showing as the last one in stock... :nailbite:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I know. My finances are such that this might be my last handgun purchase for a while, so I want to be happy with it :)

Also, just found out I had accidentally added the gun to my cart twice, which is why it wouldn't work. Dropped the dupe and now it's showing as the last one in stock... :nailbite:

I hear you. I don't buy as many as some folks do and so far, I haven't sold any yet, so I tend to shop around. In fact, that's a big part of the fun of it for me. Every one I've bought so far was my favorite until I bought my next one. Now, they're all like my kids--they're all my favorites.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I hear you. I don't buy as many as some folks do and so far, I haven't sold any yet, so I tend to shop around. In fact, that's a big part of the fun of it for me. Every one I've bought so far was my favorite until I bought my next one. Now, they're all like my kids--they're all my favorites.

I've only been into guns for about 18 months and only for the last year have I actually been going to the range and enjoying them. Bought a Glock 19 for home defense and didn't fire it for 6 months. Once I did I was hooked. Immediately bought a G26 and G17 out of the classifieds here, plus a G34 at the Indy 1500 back in January. Found the G34 fit my needs better than the G17, so I sold it and the G26 as well. Have bought a few more since that time, but have only sold one other, my M&P VTAC 9mm that I loved, but just couldn't shoot worth a damn. Now that I have the 1911 itch, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I have more than one of those too... :):

What is your dislike about the SA RO ????

Not the prettiest offering but darn sure one of the most accurate for the money.

Dislike is a bit too harsh, I just didn't like it as much as some other models. I really like the look and feel of the SR1911, more than the RO. The RO may be and probably is better, but the Ruger just appeals to me more. I really, really liked the Sig Scorpion, but the price was a good $200+ more than the Ruger, so the Sig will have to be my next 1911 :ingo:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't know a lot about Sig 1911's but they make some nice looking ones. I'm usually a fan of understated stuff. I like the parkerzied w/ wooden grip look; I also like the two tone with wood grip look; but there's something about that Spartan model I really like.

2032SIG1911Spartan.jpg

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well, I have too little willpower when it comes to these things. The Ruger SR1911 is due to hit USDS on Wednesday. $629.99 was hard to pass up. Price includes shipping and FFL fee. I just got back from USDS where I was handling the Commander version they had. I have to say I think I'm going to be pretty happy with this purchase :)

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have had both and the fit up and accuracy is slightly better on the Sig's Plus there has been a lot of incidents where the SR1911's stainless tends to develop rust. I have seen people here complain and also on other forums as well. But the Sig is a much more solid feeling gun to me. Accuracy is excellent.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have had both and the fit up and accuracy is slightly better on the Sig's Plus there has been a lot of incidents where the SR1911's stainless tends to develop rust. I have seen people here complain and also on other forums as well. But the Sig is a much more solid feeling gun to me. Accuracy is excellent.

Thanks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I've only been into guns for about 18 months and only for the last year have I actually been going to the range and enjoying them. Bought a Glock 19 for home defense and didn't fire it for 6 months. Once I did I was hooked. Immediately bought a G26 and G17 out of the classifieds here, plus a G34 at the Indy 1500 back in January. Found the G34 fit my needs better than the G17, so I sold it and the G26 as well. Have bought a few more since that time, but have only sold one other, my M&P VTAC 9mm that I loved, but just couldn't shoot worth a damn. Now that I have the 1911 itch, I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I have more than one of those too... :):

Dislike is a bit too harsh, I just didn't like it as much as some other models. I really like the look and feel of the SR1911, more than the RO. The RO may be and probably is better, but the Ruger just appeals to me more. I really, really liked the Sig Scorpion, but the price was a good $200+ more than the Ruger, so the Sig will have to be my next 1911 :ingo:

Appearance wise yes, the Ruger is a handsome gun where the RO is more utilitarian in appearance. Fit up on the RO is better and it will shoot tighter groups. For the price point I am a huge fan of the RO.
    No knock on the Sig as they make very well turned out pieces I am just not a fan.

Last edited:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm hoping this turns out to be a good entry point for a 1911. I may find out this was not as good of a deal as I'd hoped. Either way it'll be a learning experience.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm hoping this turns out to be a good entry point for a 1911. I may find out this was not as good of a deal as I'd hoped. Either way it'll be a learning experience.

I recently relieved AllenM of a commander framed SR1911. It has decent fit and the finish is good. I have seen/handled a few Rugers that were not fit up very well. The Sig is much nicer.
    There is more to a 1911 than just appearances.

Top Bottom