• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Id definitly be in. Seems a bit far for us nwi guys though. anyone know how to do checkered front grips? also for the sagia guys anyone know where i could get an untouched stripped 12gauge receiver?:dunno:

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello Gents,

Is there still interest in this?

I will be going back into sub teaching and getting my paramedic stuff while teaching so I can do something in the health field a bit better than CNA, and then my brother is getting married either in May or March (keep forgetting as I get those months switched around!)

However, I could make time for it.

I just need to know if the interest is still here, and if those who previously pledged support in teaching are still interested.

Did everyone get what they wanted for their 1911 pistols for Christmas? :D

Josh

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I may be interested, how far do you plan on going with the build. I have a couple of 1911's that could use a little trigger work but, do not feel comfortable filing the hammer or the sear. Would there be an opportunity to get into that or, are you looking to keep it a little more basic?

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I may be interested, how far do you plan on going with the build. I have a couple of 1911's that could use a little trigger work but, do not feel comfortable filing the hammer or the sear. Would there be an opportunity to get into that or, are you looking to keep it a little more basic?

YOU would be filing the hammer for liability's sake ;)

Actually, this is an idea we were kicking around. It largely depends on who makes it back to the thread and says "yes! I know 1911 pistols and will help instruct!"

I'd like to keep it simple at first. A basic tear down, inspection, and reassembly with a new spring kit installation -- see Wolff Springs ( Wolff Gunsprings - Firearm Springs for Semi-Auto Pistols, Revolvers, Rifles, & Shotguns )

However, a quick trigger job could be done. In fact, you might not even need it.

1. Ensure the pistol is empty.

2. Cock it.

3. Push forward on the hammer.

4. Pull the trigger to dryfire it.

Repeat no more than 10 times, preferably with a snap cap.

Lay it down, come back when your finger is rested, and try the trigger.

Should be much better.

It's called booting the trigger. It's somewhat controversial and I expect OD* to come along and decry it (I like him as a person because he's polite, but I like him as a technician because he's yin for my yang or whatever).

What you're doing is accelerating parts wear-in. You are pulling the trigger 1000 times (that's an arbitrary number; don't really know what it would be equal to) without pulling the trigger that many times.

It slicks things up nice and good :rockwoot:

Filing of the hammer hooks should be done only under supervision the first time or two, and only after having taken measurements with a feeler gauge -- milspec is .030", and while some go to .020" or even lower, I do not personally feel comfortable taking one below .025", and many come from the factory already there.

Josh

JohnE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    This sounds interesting. My son and I are looking to get a1911 around March sometime (when taxes come back) and this looks like it could be a way to learn more about what we are getting into. I'd like to make it as long as it didn't conflict with work schedule and if we didn't need to have one at the time. We're not sure what we'd like to get yet (looking at Colt, Kimber maybe Sig) but will know within the next month.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    It's called booting the trigger. It's somewhat controversial and I expect OD* to come along and decry it (I like him as a person because he's polite, but I like him as a technician because he's yin for my yang or whatever).
    Nope, it's a very old trick, first used on SAAs. ;)

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd still be interested in this. The trigger on a couple of my 1911s could be cleaned up a bit. I installed an extended safety on my RIA Compact and would love to learn more about trigger work. The safety was pretty simple, with only a bit of fitting required. I'm planning on doing that to my Springfield as well and would love to do a beavertail grip safety. That's beyond what you are talking about for this, but I'd still love to attend just to improve my understanding of custom 1911 work.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    I am interested also. I have a SS enhanced colt officers that needs some work.

1: Basic reliability issues, polish the ramp, replace the springs, check all the basics, etc.

2: Replace the cheap, flat plastic mainspring housing with an arches SS one.

3: Replace the cheap, plastic trigger with an adjustable aluminum one (this may beyond the scope of the class though)

4: love to install a nice beavertail, colt could have done better, thats for sure (this seems to be beyond the scope of the class also)

5: Show off my Tussey custom 7" longslide :D

Does anyone have the feeler gauges and know how to check the timing on a 1911?

Johnny C

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I am interested also. I have a SS enhanced colt officers that needs some work.

1: Basic reliability issues, polish the ramp, replace the springs, check all the basics, etc.

2: Replace the cheap, flat plastic mainspring housing with an arches SS one.

3: Replace the cheap, plastic trigger with an adjustable aluminum one (this may beyond the scope of the class though)

4: love to install a nice beavertail, colt could have done better, thats for sure (this seems to be beyond the scope of the class also)

5: Show off my Tussey custom 7" longslide :D

Does anyone have the feeler gauges and know how to check the timing on a 1911?

Johnny C

All of those, except the fitting of the beavertail, can be done. We'll tear down the 1911 all the way and you can drop in and adjust the trigger at that point.

If the frame has a radius already, the beavertail would be a semi-drop in. Can you take a pic, and I'll tell you?

Cutting the frame for a beavertail would be too much for the class, unless there's someone here with a portable CNC. Then it could be done pretty danged fast. I personally took eight hours to fit mine just because I'm OCD like that.

By timing, what do you mean? In other words, why do you believe your timing is off?

The breech should optimally stay closed until the bullet exits the barrel. Different weight springs and different length links will affect this, but unless the springs have been changed or the link is not the right one, it should be good to go. You could have badly cut lugs causing it to unlock too soon, but I wouldn't expect that on a good production gun.

Are you experiencing firing pin wipe?

comma.JPG

Do your spent shells look like this?

If not, you're probably OK, esp with a long slide.

Josh

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    With Sarco pricing their "kits" cheap and frames pretty nicely, a build party would be pretty rockin'! :) Could pick up a cheap Armscorp frame, some components, off to the races?

BTW: Josh, you are forgetting your (and Stephen Camp's) traditional "Hello" before posts! FOR SHAME! :D

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Wow, Josh Smith and OD*, sounds like you guys really know your stuff. I have been through an armorers course and taken it a few steps further on my own, leaving me with just enough knowledge to be extremely dangerous. LOL.

It sounds like it would be a little bit of a drive from Crown Point but, if you guys get a date set, and I could get the night before and after off work, I will be there!

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Yup. It's the tinkerers who tend to blow ourselves up. What was that they were doing in the '70s that made them prefer the Pachmayr grip panels for their metal inserts? ;)

I was soooo born too late!

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Im still up for the party. I just actually did my first spring kit in a shot like hell used para LTA. I was hopeing it would fix my thumb safety going past th poiunt of off then poping back up to the normal position. It didnt so i now have a thumb safty to fit. Never done it im handy with stuff like that. I want to recoat this gun as well. Im in cedar lake so a bit of a drive for me to but doible if i know the date ahead of time. Any info on the said safety issue would be much liked. :)

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Guys, be very careful in "meddling with" your 1911's. I attended Cylinder & Slides Pistolsmithing class in 1992. I now have a fantastic 1911 that I built, have all the tools ect. It only cost me with the class, tools, hotel, food and last but not least the gun about $6000.00. You need to be very good with many types of files because thats how you hand fit many components. A set of stones is a must for hammer and sear work along with the proper fixture. If you want to get a great trigger buy a kit made by C&S. They drop right in. Jerry Kunhunsens books on the 1911 are a must. Because of the training I can install a beaver tail (cutting the tangs with a saw and then using a file to finish). I just installed a 10-8 flat trigger on my STI, took me 45 min total. If you need help with any questions just drop me a PM.

Top Bottom