• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I need to qualify this first: I love the 1911 platform and am currently saving to get one. But...

I do not understand the logic of "if I need more than 8 then...(I'm in over my head, I'm screwed anyway, I should be Darwin'ed out, etc.) If you're carrying a gun to protect yourself, to protect your family, or in any other why be prepared for an emergency then why place a limit? That's like saying, "No need for the fire department, if I can't put it out with the fire extinguisher then I'm screwed anyway." I don't understand "preparedness to a limit." And to those who say that statistically you'll never fire more than a few shots: statistically you'll never need it in the first place, so you shouldn't carry in the first place, right?

You make some good points. First, the presence of extra magazines negates the appearance of a capacity shortfall. As I sit here typing I have 9 rounds in my 1911, an 8 and a 10 round magazine on my belt. So, I suppose I should say that if I ever need more then 27 rounds I'm in over my head anayway. Plus, it is just plain true that if a civilian is in a gunfight that can't be handled in a few rounds it isn't going to be handled.

Secondly, if we weren't comfortable with "preparedness to a limit" would would all be carrying around long guns. Handguns are limited firearms. As such I want the most power I can handle. For me, I feel more limited by smaller calibers then smaller magazines. That is a choice we all have to make. When capacity goes up caliber goes down. When caliber goes up capacity goes down. We all have to priorities and rationalize. As far as my personal choice of the 1911 platform: the trigger can not be beat, I like the weight and balance, I like the slim profile, they are rugged and dependable, they're inherently more accurate then their competitors, they have the most widely available and varied aftermarket, They have a hundred years of service and tradition, they are aesthetically pleasing, you can pay whatever you want for them, I have the most experience with them and I was raised with an affection for them.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yet another of my bulleted lists:

• Nothing you can hold in your hands and fire is guaranteed to stop a human who is intent on hurting you.
    • Pistol projectiles are puny, ineffective tools, regardless of caliber. The difference in terminal ballistics between modern 9mm JHP and .45ACP JHP ammunition in negligible.
    • Shot placement is very important, but still not a guarantee.
    • It takes at about a minute or more for someone to bleed enough to lose consciousness. If you stop them before that, it's because you've either damaged their central nervous system or you have "discouraged" them enough to stop.
    • Regardless of how many rounds are fired in case files on average, no one can predict how many rounds it will take to solve any given problem. Furthermore, you may be faced with more than one assailant. Your risk assessment has to include not only how many rounds you'll probably need, but also the consequences if the problem you face requires more than your plan included. It's not about the odds; it's about the stakes (thanks Kirk Freeman!).
    • Most malfunctions that occur with an otherwise reliable firearm will be magazine related. If you only have the one in your gun and it chokes, it doesn't matter how many rounds you have in it if they won't feed through the gun and go bangity-bangity. If you don't carry more than one gun, you should at least carry one spare magazine, whether you're packing a 7+1 1911 or a 19+1 XD/M. You're better off carrying more than one gun AND spares for each.
    • Reiterating the importance of accuracy (both in terms of shot placement and in NOT MISSING completely), the 1911-pattern pistol is probably the easiest to shoot well for most people. In addition, it is particularly well-suited for those of us with smaller hands and/or short fingers (I'm in the freakishly stubby fingers club) with some minor modifications that are not possible with many other types of pistols.
    And if you feel the need to have a .45 and lots of bullets at the same time, there are options for that as well. A known-to-be-reliable Para-Ordnance or an STI/S-VI will make a great carry gun, as will one of the no longer manufactured Kimber wide bodies. Even Taurus is listing a higher capacity 1911-ish gun in their catalog (haven't seen one yet). Then you also have the XD and M&P plastic guns in .45.

Top Bottom