• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I used to carry a Beretta 92G some years ago, the grip was like gripping a 4"x4" post. The pistol is oversized for the round that it shoots. For those of us with medium to smaller hands, a single stack pistol makes sense.

I, like others carry two spare magazines, but besides that, how many times do you want to miss? (Hint: the answer is NONE)

The .45ACP or .40 S&W for that matter, is controllable in the full sized 1911 format. The 5" barrel is conducive to a longer sight radius and is a full sized pistol. With that said, you may have to make some choices as to "proper attire" when toting it around. That is your choice.

The pistol is a tool, and nothing more. It does not have magical powers. You are the one that guides the "mythical flight of the bullet."

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    You've only just opened the pandoras box. Once you buy your first 1911 the 2nd isn't too far behind. Its a disease that's even more addicting than EBR disease :D I think I've decided on my 3rd, and maybe even 4th. Just gotta find one for the right price when I've got the money ;)

I've got 1911s, BRD, and I work on cars. I'm doomed. :D

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Recently I've been considering swapping my Beretta 92 for a 1911 for my CCW. I really would like to stay w/ a full size since thats where my comfort and confidence lies. How do you justify the 8+1 capacity of the 1911 for the 15+1 of the Beretta or if you carry a Glock the 17+1 capacity? Is it merely the .45 ACP vs 9mm difference or is there more underlying your decision?

How often or likely do think it is that you need 16 rds for cc? Well I think that answers part of your question. And there is always the 2nd mag option

Personally I think carrying a weapon you're comfortable with and can handle is more important. I carry a full size 1911 on occasion and I like it because due to it being single stack it's less noticable than my G19 depending on clothing

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    if ur like me carry 11 rnds....buy a chip mcormick 10rnd mag.......thats what i use and carry so i dont have to mess with another mag......like the other said of 11 cant get me outta trouble....well im a deep poop.

Carrying a handgun is about preparation. Honestly, our odds of ever needing our carry-weapons are very very low. Our odds of actually firing a shot are even lower. Our odds of firing multiple shots are even lower still. Our odds of emptying our mags & needing more are yet lower.

So, drawing the line at a particular number of rounds, statistically speaking, is comparable to deciding not to practice or to carry without a mag inserted.

My philosophy is if I'm going to carry, I'm not going to half-arse it.

I'm currently armed with 16+1 40SW in my XDm, with another 2 mags on me. That's a total of 49 rounds of 165gr 40SW JHP. I'm also carrying my Benchmade Griptillian & a 90 lumen flashlight. The only reason I'm not carrying a backup gun is because I can't yet afford one. If I could conceal my SKS folder & carry it without needing a spine realignment, it would be carried too.

So, I ask, if you're going to carry, why only carry 10+1 rounds?

Please don't think that I'm advocating spray-n-pray. I finally hit a 350rd count in my XDm last week & received compliments at the range for my speed & accuracy (using 180gr FMJ). This is my first handgun experience & I'm already shooting on par with my "life-long gun-nut" buddies.

Last edited:

GetA2J

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Terre Haute,Indiana
    My reason for carrying my 1911 is because of its single stack layout it is actually thinner than my XD's. I shoot it on a regular basis and am proficient with both. Most of the time my 1911 is covered under a shirt and the thinner form factor makes it much more concealable. As for the times when it is not covered in my opinion the wood side panels are less scary. It has the appearance of class and not something from the movies that the bad guys carry. (at least to me... and to me I am the only one who matters)

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    I'm willing to give ya rep for a week, some bubble gum and a kick in the nads for that Beretta but I am sure one of the many SKS owners will give you a better deal in the classifieds. :rolleyes:

:popcorn:

If you have a 1911 and the 92 you have the option of carrying both as well. Which is almost like having two guns. :noob:

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Ive never been able to understand why so many gun owners need to "justify" these sort of things.

They are both fine firearms: you should be relying on training for your confidence, not magazine capacity.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    You know, I've been an NRA life member for about 18 years... and been receiving American Rifleman all that time and reading the section "Armed Citizen". As I think about it I don't think I've ever read an account of any incident where a citizen shot more than 2 or 3 shots from their weapon.

Can anyone think of any incidents (other than Virginia Tech, mass murder type scenarios)where an individual emptied a 15 round clip and needed more ammo? There may be, I just can't think of any.

Todd

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I also carry a 1911 because of it's great ergonomics and it's THIN--I don't have to leave at home in the safe!
    One question that hasn't been asked here is the pros vs cons of SA/cocked&locked instead of other trigger types, but I guess that falls under 'train for what you carry'.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    It's only a good option if you practice with it enough such that flipping off the safety as part of the draw is engrained in your muscle memory.

Interesting point. I actually feel more comfortable with the manual safety on a 1911. You definitely do need to practice with it a bit though. On the other end, I have read a few random opinions over the years that a 1911 is the best choice if you happen to get in a situation where someone takes your gun from you and trys to use it against you. I guess the line of thinking is that with all the plastic pistols today with nothing but a trigger safety, alot of the BG's are somewhat ignorant to the 1911 platform and it may take them a minute to figure your pistol out. Just enough time for you to react and attempt to regain control or escape. Don't know if there is any real validity to this, but it seems like it makes a bit of sense. Very few criminals are well trained firearm handlers......Anyhow, 1911, cocked and locked is my #1 choice for carry.

ddenny5

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    Some where in the USA
    The .45 is going to give you more stopping power that an 9mm. I hated it when the army switched. You must decide if you want stoping power or capacity. I would not trade your 92FS. I would just buy a 1911 outright. This way if you feel you need stoping power then carry your 1911. I sometimes carry my XDm .40 and get the best of both worlds.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I need to qualify this first: I love the 1911 platform and am currently saving to get one. But...

I do not understand the logic of "if I need more than 8 then...(I'm in over my head, I'm screwed anyway, I should be Darwin'ed out, etc.) If you're carrying a gun to protect yourself, to protect your family, or in any other why be prepared for an emergency then why place a limit? That's like saying, "No need for the fire department, if I can't put it out with the fire extinguisher then I'm screwed anyway." I don't understand "preparedness to a limit." And to those who say that statistically you'll never fire more than a few shots: statistically you'll never need it in the first place, so you shouldn't carry in the first place, right?

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    Recently I've been considering swapping my Beretta 92 for a 1911 for my CCW. I really would like to stay w/ a full size since thats where my comfort and confidence lies. How do you justify the 8+1 capacity of the 1911 for the 15+1 of the Beretta or if you carry a Glock the 17+1 capacity? Is it merely the .45 ACP vs 9mm difference or is there more underlying your decision?

I chose the 1911 for several reasons, cosmetic and practical.

How do you justify the 8+1 capacity of the 1911 for the 15+1 of the Beretta....?

Someone on here once had the motto that If you carry the lord's caliber, you don't need 17 rounds. Besides, I also carry an extra magazine.

I am also left-handed. The ambi-safety are perfect for my needs and much easier to manipulate than a standard left-side only safety.

1911s are well-known for their accuracy. The design of the gun tends to make them as accurate as its lower recoil, smaller caliber counterparts.

The 1911 is a very beautiful and esthetically pleasing weapon. The ability to modify the grips to fit your own personality really makes it a conversation starter.

Finally, I am 6'0 tall, and 140 lbs. The narrow profile of the 1911 allow it to fit comfortably under my clothes without printing or making it obvious that I am CCing a pistol.

Those are some of my justifications, I can probably think of more, but I have to get some coffee. I just ran out!!!!!

Top Bottom