• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Well I broke down and got my first one today from PSS. I am happy with it and cannot wait to start making my own changes. So I am now in need of extra magazines.

Are there any I need to stay away from?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    promags are by all accounts horrible. I like butler creek personally the plastic feed lip ones can sometimes be finnicky with the feeding and the feed lips will wear down but they are cheap and decent, even better is the butler creek steel feed lip model. same as the plastic only with steel feed lips.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Yup, what Tyler34 said.

Steel lips on the butler creeks. Or if the price doesn't scare you Tactical Innovations makes some nice mags. TI-25s

They are fully adjustable and easily taken apart for cleaning. I have a couple and they are the best mags I've ran.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    The best out of the box mags for the 1022 is the original Ruger 10 round mag hands down. If you want more rounds, then your best chances would be with the Butler Creek Steel lip mags. I have a MGW 50 round teardrop mag that worked fine for quite a while, but has recently started giving me issues feeding properly. The Mad dog 25 and 50 round 1022 mags have had really good reports but I don't have any experience with them as of yet... The Promag, eagle, and shooters choice are really bad mags to use if you want to enjoy your day out at the range... One of the other little tricks to the 1022 is the magazine fit to the gun for function. After doing a 1022fungun conversion I noticed that this loose hanging condition of the magazine in the 1022 allows the mag feed lips to line up better to the bolt and will allow many different mags to function very well. This may also be a sign of a issue if your stock ruger mags don't feed reliably, just remove some of the side wall area and allow it too hang more loosely from the reciever...

Now see that is where it all starts with the Ruger 1022, I just broke down and bought my first..... They start multiplying around the house while your gone to work... and in many different looks... it's spooky...

kungfupipe

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Greencastle
    10/22 mags

shooters ridge makes a decent mag in 25,30 and 50 round. the 50 roun are double stack and the same size as most 25 rounders. they have plastic feed lips, but they are designed with constant sping tension so loading and feeding have not bveen an issue so far. good luck! :rockwoot:

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Mags

Well I have 30 firearms that use that mag and even though I have a few of the Butler Creek steel lips I only depend on the factory mags. I have well over 100 factory mags and if I want higher capacity i use a product called Trimag that joins 3 of the factory mags together in a triangle shape. You use 10 rounds pull it out and rotate and so on.

I have a couple of the 50 round drums from Blackdog and can not get them to function more than a few rounds before they jam up.

I even have some of the clear mags that have been colored to match certain builds.

Bradis keeps the Tri-mag in stock at 9.95 each

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    Well I have 30 firearms that use that mag and even though I have a few of the Butler Creek steel lips I only depend on the factory mags. I have well over 100 factory mags and if I want higher capacity i use a product called Trimag that joins 3 of the factory mags together in a triangle shape. You use 10 rounds pull it out and rotate and so on.

I have a couple of the 50 round drums from Blackdog and can not get them to function more than a few rounds before they jam up.

I even have some of the clear mags that have been colored to match certain builds.

Bradis keeps the Tri-mag in stock at 9.95 each

PICS!!! :rockwoot:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    What about the Tactical Innovations mags? They are pricey at $75 each, but they are suppose to feed as well as the factory mags, are all aluminum, and disassemble for cleaning. :) I would like one, just not ready to drop that kinda cash on a 10/22 mag!

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I've got a couple of the TI plastic mags version they sale. They work great in one 1022 but not any of the other ones unless I refit them each time I change guns...

I prefer the stock Ruger 10 rounders and the Butler Creek steel lip ones.

That trimag holder is very cool and handy, Cabelas is now selling them...

Simon6101, I too would love to see some pics of your 1022 beauties...

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have BC steel lip and Shooters Ridge plastic lip 25rd....the steel lip feeds good but for some reason the Shooter feeds much better.....i get a few FTF with the BC and 0 with the Shooters and i have ran 1000's of rd's through it.....ruger 10rd feed good if you keep them clean....

Last edited:

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Factory mags

I am another fan of the factory magazines. After surfing rimfirecentral for years, consensus is there is nothing as reliable as the Ruger factory magazine. Due to the design of the gun, they can get dirty enough to cause feeding failures but they're easy to take apart and clean. I wash mine with liquid dish soap and don't lubricate them when reassembling.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    161   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Don't gennerally post pics

I usually don't post pics of my firearms. There was a thread on here some time back started by Hickman I think about .22 rifles and there are a few of my 10/22's in there.

Bradis Gun Shop keeps the Tri-mag in stock at all times 9.95 ea.

I will see what I can do about the pics I really need to post a picture of my wifes Purple Charger for Spasmo.

Here are a few
    1965.jpg

1966.jpg

Blue10-22.jpg

Wlamart2.jpg

Ruger96-22.jpg

Mags.jpg

I also added a pic of some mags that have been colored to match a build

Last edited:

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    Awesome pictures! I just got back from Bradis and I picked up 2 trimags. I think they are an awesome design and from everything Ive read the ruger mags are the best.

Now to break her in this weekend! Thanks for all the help!

Corky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N.W. Indiana
    Simon, is the 96-22 a magnum? How do you like it? The reason I ask is, my wife picked
    up a 96-22 in 22 mag last year but hasn't had it out to the range yet. I was wondering
    how it compared to a standard 10-22.

Top Bottom