• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Okay, here's another one. The background on this one is that it came in an email a few years ago with a password protected XL file. The password was the answer to the equation and you were to add your name to the file before forwarding it. The claim was that only those with an IQ over 120 could solve this. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWER. Quote this and add your name at the bottom then PM me with your answer. I don't know how to put an XL file on here or how to password protect anything here so this will have to do. Some of you will just see the solution and others may take a minute. When you see it, you'll be like...WTF, that was easy.
    If:
    2 + 3 = 10
    7 + 2 = 63
    6 + 5 = 66
    8 + 4 = 96

Then:
    9 + 7 = ?

That's a good one. Hadn't seen that before.
    By the same rule, I believe that makes 9 + 7 = 8 + 10.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Okay, here's another one. The background on this one is that it came in an email a few years ago with a password protected XL file. The password was the answer to the equation and you were to add your name to the file before forwarding it. The claim was that only those with an IQ over 120 could solve this. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWER. Quote this and add your name at the bottom then PM me with your answer. I don't know how to put an XL file on here or how to password protect anything here so this will have to do. Some of you will just see the solution and others may take a minute. When you see it, you'll be like...WTF, that was easy.
    If:
    2 + 3 = 10
    7 + 2 = 63
    6 + 5 = 66
    8 + 4 = 96

Then:
    9 + 7 = ?

The real question here is why it isn't written

f(2, 3) = 10
    f(7, 2) = 63
    f(6, 5) = 66
    f(8, 4) = 96

which would make sense mathematically.

Although the best solution is to simply assume that the answer is a small positive integer and just point John the Ripper or a similar program at the file. :D

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The real question here is why it isn't written

f(2, 3) = 10
    f(7, 2) = 63
    f(6, 5) = 66
    f(8, 4) = 96

which would make sense mathematically.

Although the best solution is to simply assume that the answer is a small positive integer and just point John the Ripper or a similar program at the file. :D
    Agreed on both. :)

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    If:
    2 + 3 = 10
    7 + 2 = 63
    6 + 5 = 66
    8 + 4 = 96

Then:
    9 + 7 = ?

REDACTED

Because this is a super-secret math problem that grants you access to the Illuminati database.

Last edited:

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    The equation is invalid as there is no order of operation.

PEMDAS is always the default order of operation, so the answer is 20.

The trick comes in when you have multiple operators of equal importance in the same eqation.

For instance some people believe that one should do all multiplication before doing all division but since they are of the same order, then left-to-right takes precedent.

ex:

A+B/C*D-E

should be solved

A + [(B/C) * D] - E

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The equation is invalid as there is no order of operation.
    It's assumed that you use the default order of operations in the absence of parenthesis. To be safe, simply redefine the problem and answer it appropriately.

10 + (10 * 0) + 10 = 20 (The correct answer if we are to use the original equation and standard order of operations.)

((10 + 10) * 0) + 10 = 10
    and
    10 + (10 * (0 + 10)) = 110
    are also both legitimate answers if parenthesis are used.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    I haven't read the whole thread, but when an equation isn't grouped, you do the multiplication or division (in this case multiplication) before addition and subtraction first (in this case the addition) .

10 + 10 X 0 + 10 = ?

10+(10 X 0)+10=?

10 + 0 + 10 = 20

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Yeah, I am very surprised at how long it went before someone slipped. It was a fun game though, I am very impressed with the intellect of INGOers. I present this problem to random people somewhat frequently and while I'm not convinced the IQ claim is quite accurate, more often than not the general public is dumbfounded. Of the ten people employed in my companies office only 1 was able to find the pattern while nearly everyone here got it correct. Now the 10+10x0+10 is a whole other story....at first glance I was wrong in my answer and it was only an hour or so later that I looked again. Something about it just bothered me and it kept nagging in the back of my mind....

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I tried the 9+7 one on a few relatives and friends. All were stumped.

Must suck being dumber than a guy with a GED.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I tried the 9+7 one on a few relatives and friends. All were stumped.

Must suck being dumber than a guy with a GED.
    I know huh! I dropped out and wound up getting my GED so I could join the Navy...97 on my ASVAB made them wonder why I wanted to enlist and caused them to incessantly harass me to attend power school. Yeah right, can you imagine the wrath I would unleash if I had that training? Just what are they going to do about us stupid high school drop out truck drivers...:dunno:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    It's a fact I use to irritate my brother and sister constantly. They both graduated and I've always had better jobs than them. :D

Top Bottom