• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Hum... Interesting thought process. Question for the sake of argument...

If one works the equation from left to right in the absence of any parenthesis they get an answer.

If one works the equation from the stance of a given rule the multiply first then left to right and get an equally correct answer.

So really, we battle not against numbers, rules and processes...our battle is against our own perceptions? Intriguing.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Because I enjoy controversy and watching people argue. Additionally, I have seen a claim that 92% of those posed with the question get it wrong.

It was probably before Google was around.
    I found 20 by myself (even though I couldn't do simple math to save my life) and checked with Mr.Google, he said 20 as well.
    I trust the guys that work at Google when it comes to math. :dunno:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I always taught it as "PEMDAS". I also taught that PEMDAS was a filthy lie of omission. It's more fully PERLMDASID: Parentheses, Exponentiation, Roots, Logarithms, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction, Incrementing, Decrementing.

That said, if I really wanted to screw with someone's mathematics understanding, I would say the answer is 110.

10 + 10 X 0 + 10
    10 + 10 X 10
    10 + 100

But only if you're dysnumeric (do math backwards).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Surprisingly my daughter doesn't struggle with the above type math problems. She's had a few like 10 x 7 x 0 x 6 = She'll do the math on her paper and I've tried explaining to her by simply looking at the problem that the answer is 0.

Moral of the story. Don't ever procreate with a cheerleader.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Okay, here's another one. The background on this one is that it came in an email a few years ago with a password protected XL file. The password was the answer to the equation and you were to add your name to the file before forwarding it. The claim was that only those with an IQ over 120 could solve this. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWER. Quote this and add your name at the bottom then PM me with your answer. I don't know how to put an XL file on here or how to password protect anything here so this will have to do. Some of you will just see the solution and others may take a minute. When you see it, you'll be like...WTF, that was easy.
    If:
    2 + 3 = 10
    7 + 2 = 63
    6 + 5 = 66
    8 + 4 = 96

Then:
    9 + 7 = ?

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I always taught it as "PEMDAS". I also taught that PEMDAS was a filthy lie of omission. It's more fully PERLMDASID: Parentheses, Exponentiation, Roots, Logarithms, Multiplication, Division, Addition, Subtraction, Incrementing, Decrementing.

That said, if I really wanted to screw with someone's mathematics understanding, I would say the answer is 110.

10 + 10 X 0 + 10
    10 + 10 X 10
    10 + 100

But only if you're dysnumeric (do math backwards).

You backwards math is wrong! lol....

10 + 10 * 0 + 10
    10 + 10 * 10
    20 * 10

But seriously, the answer is 20.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Okay, here's another one. The background on this one is that it came in an email a few years ago with a password protected XL file. The password was the answer to the equation and you were to add your name to the file before forwarding it. The claim was that only those with an IQ over 120 could solve this. DO NOT POST YOUR ANSWER. Quote this and add your name at the bottom then PM me with your answer. I don't know how to put an XL file on here or how to password protect anything here so this will have to do. Some of you will just see the solution and others may take a minute. When you see it, you'll be like...WTF, that was easy.
    If:
    2 + 3 = 10
    7 + 2 = 63
    6 + 5 = 66
    8 + 4 = 96

Then:
    9 + 7 = ?

Pm sent just to confirm :D

Top Bottom