• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Since you said, carrying the Kimber would bother you because of the price tag. I'd take go with the XDS and the G29. That way you also have a spare.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Buy 7 Hi Points and you will have one for each day of the week. :):

make sure you get an ambi holster so you can straighten your back out by wearing on opposite sides each day or you'll end up like this
    Fig2_000.gif

linc_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Been there done that OP. The two guns are fun, but I always end up "saving" money for the more expensive beauty. Personal choice IMHO.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    But what do you do if you have to send the kimber in to be fixed and have no backup? Do you go weeks without a gun to carry? Just curious.
    I have the luxury of having multiple carry guns, but I would also assume that when It came time to service the Kimber that the time would have been ample to get something else if you absolutely needed it. Though I am curious what you mean to be fixed ?
    I personally have 2 Kimbers (just got my 2nd) and my older one has ~1400 rds through it with a few bumps and scratches and my new one is at 450 rds with more ready to go when the backyard range isn't mud.

Am I a bit of a "fanboy" sure, though haven't been a "boy" for sometime now.

Ultimately Kimber or Glock or Sig or whatever, pick what you like and feel comfortable defending your life and your loved ones lives with. Make sure there is money left over for plenty of ammo, good holsters and training.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    Alot of times those expensive guns require expensive or picky ammo and when times are lean you might not get enjoy it much.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    biggest issue i've seen with kimbers as of late is the lack of quality control. Some of the nicest 1911's i've ever shot were Kimbers. With that said i would buy one made in the last 6-8 years.

Just to hit or miss for me and if i drop that kind of money on a gun it damn well better work. Plus i've seen lots of finish issues on brand new rifles of theirs which doesnt sit well with me.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I thought this was going to be another AR thread

Anyway, get what you want, don't think about quantity. If you've had your eye on a particular Kimber for a long time, get it.

Same thing goes for a lot of this gun world related. I could get 1 really nice amazing $2000 scope, or get 2 $1000s or 4 $500s. I could get 1 GDI scope mount, 2 LaRues, or 5 Dead Nutz.

If you have your eye set on something and save, get what you truly want and something you'll take pride in owning and knowing you made the decision that will make you happy

Personally speaking though, I like my Kimber. But bang for the buck, Sig makes a nice 1911 and Springfield has gone pretty far in their Loaded line, or the STI Spartan. Still though, if you want and desire a Kimber, get it. They do make some nice looking pieces.

As for getting a scratch. It happens, gun are tools. Do you want to shoot it or keep it in an air tight glass case?

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    IMO, you don't have to spend 1400 to get a quality gun. If it were me, I'd get a used Kimber, you can find them all day for 900-1000, and another gun, say a glock.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If it was me looking to spend $1400, I'd buy one pretty nice pistol, along with a holster, mag carrier, extra mags, maybe even a new belt.

And I'd probably end up with another HiPower, but that's just me.

But as far as what YOU should do goes, get the one you really want. I learned early on that if I settled for less than what I really want, I'll never really be happy with what I get. Money only enters into it insofar as how long it takes me to save what I need.

JMWetzel89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    My answer to every person that says they don't want spend a lot on a carry gun is "how much is you life worth"?

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    I really disagree with that one, mine are fed a steady diet of federal/winchester bulk and even tula steel cased (gasp!) whenever I find some on the shelves .
    I am glad for you but I have heard other Kimber owners complain of performance issues if they vary much from their set less than common types of ammo proven reliable in their guns. Congrats!

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    for that money depends what do you want to do with it? i go springfield or colt for 1911s myself in that price range you could probably get a springer TRP, a sphinx alpha, and a very high end cz75

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    My answer to every person that says they don't want spend a lot on a carry gun is "how much is you life worth"?
    That's a terrible argument. The single most important thing in a carry gun is reliability. Up to 600 or so, spending more doesn't get you more reliability. I've seen a lot of high dollar 1911s have serious feed problems.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    As someone who already owns one Kimber, if I could do it over again, I think I would have grabbed a Sig or Springfield.

Top Bottom