• ...and so much more!
  • Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Ask Churchmouse about kimbers. He's a huge 1911 guy, but would take a Springfield over a kimber in most instances.

I have become disillusioned with Kimbers. The one I do carry has been rebuilt with many Wilson Combat parts and is a great running 1911 now. Their use of plastic mainspring housings bothers me.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If you have saved up that much for your first gun, and you intend to carry it, why not buy ONE of the less expensive options that you mentioned, put the other cash back and start saving again to get back where you are now? The gets you one to get you started (and honestly, if you are getting started, its better to start with one, and not get yourself mixed up with two platforms before you have really learned the first). If, for some reason your first goes down, you still have reserve capitol to pick up another on your list, or possibly you will luck into a great deal on the Kimber you are wanting, and be able to get that instead at a later date.

I have found that keeping funds on hand for those "too good to pass up" deals is the better way to go, and not blow the entire wad one the most expensive gun I can find.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I am a quality over quantity person. OP will this be your only gun?

Lot of good 1911 choices out there. Look at other options besides Kimber

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Buy a carry gun like a Glock, CZ P-07, S&W M&P, or the like. And spend the rest on training.

THEN buy a nice BBQ gun. Like a Kimber (or better) 1911 down the road.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    I would go for two less expensive guns. You could carry either one (or both), depending on the circumstances. :twocents:

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    If you have saved up that much for your first gun, and you intend to carry it, why not buy ONE of the less expensive options that you mentioned, put the other cash back and start saving again to get back where you are now? The gets you one to get you started (and honestly, if you are getting started, its better to start with one, and not get yourself mixed up with two platforms before you have really learned the first). If, for some reason your first goes down, you still have reserve capitol to pick up another on your list, or possibly you will luck into a great deal on the Kimber you are wanting, and be able to get that instead at a later date.

I have found that keeping funds on hand for those "too good to pass up" deals is the better way to go, and not blow the entire wad one the most expensive gun I can find.

The best advice yet, (of course that's also my thinking)

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Are you a top 5% handgunner, because that Kimber is a top 5% gun. Most of us are average handgunners (not to be confused with average people in general) and are well served by average handguns like Glocks and XD's.

For that same $1400, you can get THREE different guns for different carry conditions or locations. I bought all three of my typical EDC's for less than $1400 - G26, CM9, and TCP. You could certainly buy a G23/19, a G26/27 and an LCP or TCP for $1400. I don't know the models well enough to list them, but I'm sure there are XD's that fill the same size/concealability niches for similar prices.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    for a Kimber? I would say buy two $700 guns HANDS DOWN. I can't think of anything that would be worth $1400. For an Example, you could buy an XDS, 1,000 rounds of ammo to practice with, and an M1 Garand for the hell of it. Is it REALLY worth $1400??

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Yes, Yes, Yes, only one, because for $1400 you can be the envy of all the average. I just sunk some change into a Sig MK25, and will carry the snot out of it. I had to save up. I would not be caught dead with a GLOCK. They explode in your hands.

Edit - Carry A S&W 500 Mag. That would be awesome.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I forgot to mention, I have a rule that applies to guns, cell phones, etc. I don't carry anything portable that I can't afford to replace easily. I have a $400 Nexus instead of an $800 iPhone because replacing the iPhone would be a hardship. Similarly, I wouldn't carry a $1400 pistol because it would be a struggle to replace if I had to surrender it to the police after a justified shooting.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I would never buy a kimber, so the two better guns for a lesser price would be the best option. IMO.

Now if it were a 1400$ ed brown, wilson combat, etc... vs two poly wonders, that would be a different story.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Take your favorite carry gun,hold it parallel to the ground at arms length and release.If this makes you cringe,you're carrying too nice of a gun.Many people don't realize that a carry gun,along with your SHTF rifle,has the greatest potential to get beat up because it's going to have holster wear and,ideally,be the one that's used the most out of all of your collection.JMHO

Top Bottom