• ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I agree mostly with Phylo's idea. Thought I would raise it to an associate's degree. Give felons a chance to make a decent living, not just toss them back out with a GED. Give them the tools to succeed if they are able with a useable degree, or even an apprenticeship/trades set of skills. Just a GED will likely guarantee they come back through because they wont have the skills they need to succeed and not re-offend.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one cm... Degrees aren't for everyone, and aren't the only answer to the education question. Having been in classrooms for 20 years, I can absolutely tell you that the folks who chose not to even try to get a HS diploma basically did so because they didn't see it as important enough to bother with. Those aren't the kinds of folks who suddenly turn their lives around by getting a free college degree of any kind. Learning a trade on top of or in place of other education? I could get behind that. Either way, the only thing that makes education help is a change of mindset. Phylo's whole idea of making incarceration time SUCK is absolutely on point. Make sure jail is a place folks do NOT want to end up, and that mindset just might change.

Consequences only ever work if people are afraid of suffering from them. No suffering = no fear = no consequence = it just plain doesn't matter.

:twocents:

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Hood Speak Warning !

[video=facebook_share;2845267535509127]http://www.facebook.com/emily.conwayperkins/videos/2845267535509127/[/video]

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one cm... Degrees aren't for everyone, and aren't the only answer to the education question. Having been in classrooms for 20 years, I can absolutely tell you that the folks who chose not to even try to get a HS diploma basically did so because they didn't see it as important enough to bother with. Those aren't the kinds of folks who suddenly turn their lives around by getting a free college degree of any kind. Learning a trade on top of or in place of other education? I could get behind that. Either way, the only thing that makes education help is a change of mindset. Phylo's whole idea of making incarceration time SUCK is absolutely on point. Make sure jail is a place folks do NOT want to end up, and that mindset just might change.
    Consequences only ever work if people are afraid of suffering from them. No suffering = no fear = no consequence = it just plain doesn't matter.

:twocents:

Some of us do not fit the common educational system. I am one. I have been considered very smart. When I was young I absorbed facts and procedures like a sponge. I was ready to move on and the stupid teacher would drone on and on. STOP IT ALREADY! I GOT IT! I made straight D's through grade school, mostly because I found it totally boring and never turned in any work. BUT, I Aced all of the tests.

In high school it was much the same. My guidance councillor, Mrs. Ribinowitz, would call me in and encourage me. She would point to my test scores and tell me how much potential I had. It didn't work. Our final meeting she told me that I was probably better suited to get a job. I dropped out at 17 and my parents signed for me to join the Army.

In the Army I excelled. My ASVAB scores were high enough to do anything. Of course they put me in the Infantry,but because of my bad knees that reclassified me. I was concidered the best in my field (Armorer #1 in mu class) and have many commendation letters in my 201 file. On my second tour I was an Intelligence Analyst, and again I did great.

On my first tour I got my GED. They told us if our scores were not high enough they would get us a Tennessee GED. My score was high enough to qualify for any state. I also got 18 credits of college through the CLEP program and was in the top of my class in every Army school I attended.

When I got out, a friend hired me as a carpentry laborer. In seven months I was leading a framing crew. I love framing, but I was a better trim carpenter so I got stuck inside instead of the fresh air, unless we had a complicated roof to cut.

My last boss here in NWI told me that in his opinion I was the best carpenter in NWI.

I realize this sounds like self aggrandizement, but my point is that some very smart people just don't fit well in the standard classroom environment.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Some of us do not fit the common educational system. I am one. I have been considered very smart. When I was young I absorbed facts and procedures like a sponge. I was ready to move on and the stupid teacher would drone on and on. STOP IT ALREADY! I GOT IT! I made straight D's through grade school, mostly because I found it totally boring and never turned in any work. BUT, I Aced all of the tests.

In high school it was much the same. My guidance councillor, Mrs. Ribinowitz, would call me in and encourage me. She would point to my test scores and tell me how much potential I had. It didn't work. Our final meeting she told me that I was probably better suited to get a job. I dropped out at 17 and my parents signed for me to join the Army.

In the Army I excelled. My ASVAB scores were high enough to do anything. Of course they put me in the Infantry,but because of my bad knees that reclassified me. I was concidered the best in my field (Armorer #1 in mu class) and have many commendation letters in my 201 file. On my second tour I was an Intelligence Analyst, and again I did great.

On my first tour I got my GED. They told us if our scores were not high enough they would get us a Tennessee GED. My score was high enough to qualify for any state. I also got 18 credits of college through the CLEP program and was in the top of my class in every Army school I attended.

When I got out, a friend hired me as a carpentry laborer. In seven months I was leading a framing crew. I love framing, but I was a better trim carpenter so I got stuck inside instead of the fresh air, unless we had a complicated roof to cut.

My last boss here in NWI told me that in his opinion I was the best carpenter in NWI.

I realize this sounds like self aggrandizement, but my point is that some very smart people just don't fit well in the standard classroom environment.

I too did not fit into that mold. Bored me beyond boredom. Industrial arts was still a big thing so I minored in it. Yes you could actually pick one of three levels of study. Knowing full well I was not going to college regardless of my SAT's being well passed high enough and the IQ tests I had said the same It was a good fit for me to be hands on. It has made a good life for me and my family.
    I was working at some kind of revenue generators from 12 years old. Worked 32 hrs a week my junior year plus other endeavors. School was an irritation to me but I was told to succeed in this life you absolutely had to have that High school diploma. :bs: as I have never been asked to see the damned thing.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Jail or prison and the revolving door of the courts is a money maker.
    Make not mistakes about it that they do what they do in our courts systems intentionally.
    Yes prison should be hell. If you go there it needs to be a place you regret and if you do not comply then get beat down and broke until you comply with the rules.
    We need harsh consequences for breaking the law.
    Not day camp.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Hood Speak Warning !

[video=facebook_share;2845267535509127]http://www.facebook.com/emily.conwayperkins/videos/2845267535509127/[/video]
    What's going on here? I dont understand. Is he stalking a cop? I hope whomevers house that is the department sends them some protection. If I was his neighbor I'd sit outside armed for him.
    ****ing thugs.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    What's going on here? I dont understand. Is he stalking a cop? I hope whomevers house that is the department sends them some protection. If I was his neighbor I'd sit outside armed for him.
    ****ing thugs.

Looks like it to me, and one of the cops in one of the officer-involved has shootings last week.. And the dumbass puts it out there for everyone to see. Good for him, now HE’S being watched too.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Hood Speak Warning !

At work I have to follow the rules. You show up at my house the rules go out the window. I don't consider myself a tough guy, but if you **** with my family you better pack your lunch.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That officer wasn't involved in either shooting.

Putting two into together didn’t add up to four in this case. My bad for assuming. Regardless, this punk is doing something really stupid.

Edit: The way things are these days if I had any place to park my patrol car where it wasn’t visible from the street I would certainly do so.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Putting two into together didn’t add up to four in this case. My bad for assuming. Regardless, this punk is doing something really stupid.

Edit: The way things are these days if I had any place to park my patrol car where it wasn’t visible from the street I would certainly do so.

Mine stays in the garage and I rarely drive it off-duty.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    At work I have to follow the rules. You show up at my house the rules go out the window. I don't consider myself a tough guy, but if you **** with my family you better pack your lunch.

Thanks for your service Frank.
    Having several family members that are current and retired IMPD. This kind of crap puts us all on the edge of an already stressful situation. This video came off of F/B posted by a reliable source and is being investigated. I just thought I would share.

Top Bottom