• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I’m happy to hear you guys don’t take any **** from the mayor. Does he have any other way of shutting down a protest on short order? And why do you allow protesters to block traffic? I blocked traffic with fireworks once when I was a kid and got a ride home in a patrol car.

Never understood allowing protesters to block traffic. If you let the protesters break the law, doesn't that encourage more of such?

Pick your battles. Arresting 50-100 protesters is a HUGE investment in manpower and resources with a high likelihood of it going sideways.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I understand the RIGHT to protest, and agree with it.

My problem is it seems that many of the groups that are less conservative do not get the peacably part.

I do not get how a group can be allowed to hinder the movement of other people.

I was taught in Catholic grade school that picketers could not block sidewalks or traffic.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Pretty easy to tell if it's a demonstration of support or a protest proclaiming hatred: do they pick up their trash when they leave.
    Cleaning up shows a positive support rather than a negative attack.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    The TEA party rallies were protests, as was the Virginia anti 2A Infringement rally.

There was no litter left behind.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Never understood allowing protesters to block traffic. If you let the protesters break the law, doesn't that encourage more of such?

If you look back at the history of how much of this country dealt with protests, many within living memory of a lot of folks, there is a lot to be said for municipalities and law-enforcement showing restraint rather than adopting a “respect my authority” point of view.

Large portions of this country denied certain groups the right to assemble for a long time, and then behaved pretty brutally when they did. Just because that’s not the case today, doesn’t mean that wound just magically went away.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    On my phone, can’t do a link. Fox59 has a video of their in focus show today, Senator Greg “Obtuse” Taylor was talking Police shootings. Couldn’t get it to play here, I can bet on what the content is though.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

It's not worth stirring the hive.

Pick your battles. Arresting 50-100 protesters is a HUGE investment in manpower and resources with a high likelihood of it going sideways.

If you look back at the history of how much of this country dealt with protests, many within living memory of a lot of folks, there is a lot to be said for municipalities and law-enforcement showing restraint rather than adopting a “respect my authority” point of view.

Large portions of this country denied certain groups the right to assemble for a long time, and then behaved pretty brutally when they did. Just because that’s not the case today, doesn’t mean that wound just magically went away.

While I understand these arguments, where does that leave the poor bastards stuck in their cars, fearing for their lives?

Are the people stuck in traffic, left to the mercy of law breaking rioters, less entitled to protection of law enforcement?

What about vehicles damaged by the rioters? Who pays for that? The law enforcement agency that determined the protesters were OK blocking the roadways?

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    While I understand these arguments, where does that leave the poor bastards stuck in their cars, fearing for their lives?

Are the people stuck in traffic, left to the mercy of law breaking rioters, less entitled to protection of law enforcement?

What about vehicles damaged by the rioters? Who pays for that? The law enforcement agency that determined the protesters were OK blocking the roadways?

Riots and blocking traffic are different things and allowing some blocking of traffic can prevent riots.

Most of the blocking traffic is orchestrated ahead of time. It's theater. Some volunteer to be arrested. The protesters get their message out and get the media attention they want with minimal impact and a reason to continue to orchestrate and cooperate. The alternative is pop up protests that have to be responded to as we find out about them, making longer traffic jams, etc. I've been on protests where I've been told "we're going to let them block this intersection for 10 minutes, then arrest x and y and the rest will leave." I'm fine with that.

You ever wonder why Indy doesn't have riots? Why most of the poo-birds are from out of state? Because everybody wins with a little flexibility in enforcement of a misdemeanor.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

A protest impeding traffic and a riot are not the same thing. The damn marathon blocks traffic, the parades block traffic, road construction blocks traffic, freaking Canadian geese crossing the road block traffic...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The chiefs could be witnesses. And the prosecutor knows the chiefs.

and has to work with the chief and has to work out policy/procedure with the chief, etc.

It's pretty reasonable to have an outside prosecutor look at it. The officers are in the right. It doesn't hurt them in the slightest to have a more neutral prosecutor say that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Marion County Prosecutor made that decision
    Ah ok. Well that's not surprising then. Stupid imo.
    Stand by your department. The facts are pretty clear even to ray Charles.
    All I had seen was an interview (by laptop) that the chief did and he said he wouldnt be against it and said maybe it would be good or something to that effect. Dont quote me on that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    The chiefs could be witnesses. And the prosecutor knows the chiefs.
    I mean if thats a real conflict of interests then ok maybe I can see a point.
    But they arent a judge. Its almost like saying, ah I dont trust myself to be honest and fair so will you do my job for me?
    They think it will keep the zombies from burning the city down I guess

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I mean if thats a real conflict of interests then ok maybe I can see a point.
    But they arent a judge. Its almost like saying, ah I dont trust myself to be honest and fair so will you do my job for me?
    They think it will keep the zombies from burning the city down I guess

BBI said it better. Optics.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Be still my beating heart...

I would pay good money to see that.

I think I've told the story before. Probably 11-12 years ago I got dispatched to a "mass casualty hit and run" in a subdivision up off E 96th St. While en route I started picking up on some oddities in the dispatch and had the 911 dispatcher ask if the "victims" were geese. They were. Sumdood in a bro-dozer had mowed down at least half a dozen of them. It was comically absurd.

Top Bottom