• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kwalls

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Bargersville
    Has anyone heard anything about indiana making a 30-30 rifle a legal deer gun this year? I just bought one and was hoping to use it this year if possible.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Sorry, this is a terrible cut and paste job.

The Indiana NRC Advisory Council will hold a public meeting concerning: Hunting, Trapping, Taking Mammals/Deer, Administrative Cause 09-088D.

The meeting will take place on July 14, 2009 at 6:00 p.m., EDT, in the Garrison, Ballroom, Fort Harrison State Park.

Advisory Council Rule Suggestion Review:
    Seasons/MuzzleloaderSeasons/Extend ArcherySeasons/Move Firearms Out of the RutSeasons/Doe Only SeasonSeasons/Reduce Firearms SeasonNon-Resident LicensesHunter OrangeBuck & Doe Tags1 License for All Deer SeasonsYouth SeasonAllowing Youth to Take BuckMuzzleloader & Primitive FirearmsIncrease Rifle CalibersCarry & Load Time RegulationsCrossbow during Archery SeasonAntler RestrictionsBan on SpotlightingDepredationOver-Population/Under-PopulationOne Buck Rule“Earn-A-Buck”Buck Identification2 Buck (1 Archery & 1 Firearm)

kwalls

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Bargersville
    rifle hunting

I couldnt agree more. I just bought a 30-30 lever action marlin, and I would love to use it to deer hunt with. Looks like we will find out in july sometime whether or not we will be able to use them.

XD357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    NW Indiana
    I would love to take the big bruiser I've seen around with my M1A.
    308 is a little large but with the right load would make for a great stalk/hunt.

Either way my muzzle loader will be ready.

Matt

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    I have never understood why a rifle wasn't allowed anyway. I live in the Southern, more hilly part of the state, and it never made sense to me. I also just read that you could use an AR15 to hunt coyote, so why not a 30-30 or something of that sort for deer. I got a Marlin336 in 32 Special that I would LOVE to try!!!

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    what i dont get is for deperdation you cant use a rifle smaller than .243 but when deer season comes you can only use pistol caliber rifles. WTF!!!!!!!!

WHAT HAPPENED

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    Largo, FL
    This is Fing retarded i think the people that made up this Sh!t needs to get a colon cleaning with this.....
    chimney+brush.jpg

And then rethink again if it is a good idea....

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    heres to a bigger bang in the woods this fall. I would love to use a rifle with a rifle caliber for deer. Just in case the smoke pole can do the job just fine. And for Mr. kwalls its not the size of the bullet but the size of the target huh?
    South Dakota proves that point!:ar15:

jtmarine1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lexington, IN
    I'd rather not!

I honestly hope they don't!:noway: I don't have any issue with rifle calibers, and yes there are some instances where I would have liked to and would like to but the simple fact is SAFETY!! I know that the SAFE and RESPONSIBLE hunters in Indiana way out number the UNSAFE ones, but it only takes a few to ruin someones life! And with the addition of centerfire rifle cartridges especially the higher power ones, the lethality distance just got increased.

I will be the first to admit that some of the IDNR's pistol calibers on the exclusion list puzzle me and that I have serious doubt to some of the Hunter's shooting abilities in this state, but I just see this as a recipe for disaster.

And come on and admit it people, you know as well as I do that it they allow rifle calibers there are going to be plenty of idiots out there that go buy the fastest, flatest shooting cartridge they can get by with and some that use some that they're not supposed to.:dunno:

I use a 12ga normally and have taken deer out to 200yds and last year I started using a Win.94AE in 45Colt with a hot handload and am comfortable now at shots out to 250yds. Why should I need more? I now enjoy getting them closer so I can interact with them, watch them, hear them.

I did have the oppritunity the past 2yrs to take deer on depradation pwermits and took a total of 17 deer with a Mod.70 in 308Win with shots ranging from a little under a 100yds to out past 600yds. Yes it was doping the shot and the satisfaction of a perfect hit at those ranges, but in the hunting aspect there was no excitement.:tantrum:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I think .30-30, .32 Rem., .35 Rem., and 7.62x39mm (possibly a few others if I had time to think about it) would be great additions to the "pistol caliber" rules. I think of these as "150 yard guns" and don't increase the effective range over anything currently being used.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Not to **** anyone off but id rather use my Bowtech Guardian Compound Bow anytime. I didnt even take the shotugn out last year. Got enough meat to pass out to a few people and homeless shelters. Using a bow makes it more of a hunt i think.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    And come on and admit it people, you know as well as I do that it they allow rifle calibers there are going to be plenty of idiots out there that go buy the fastest, flatest shooting cartridge they can get by with ...

My PCR business is based on the folks you are calling idiots.

It has been my experience thus far, that anyone with the interest and dedication to pay the price of admission on top of making their own ammunition have exclusively been dedicated, more than experienced hunters.

Will that change with common off the shelf chamberings that anyone can buy? Time will tell if the regulations get changed.

......took a total of 17 deer with a Mod.70 in 308Win with shots ranging from a little under a 100yds to out past 600yds. Yes it was doping the shot....

Hmm.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I have been deer hunting for almost 20 yrs. I hunt all seasons with archery, shotgun, muzzleloader. I have often thought it would be fun hunting with a 30/30 but I wouldn't loose any sleep if it didn't pass. In fact, I don't even use a shotgun anymore. I prefer bow hunting and using muzzleloader. A buddie of mine took a deer with a muzzleloader, paced off at 230yrds. Thats better than a 30/30. The farthest I've have ever taken a deer was 80 yards. No need for a rifle at that distance and I really like the challenge of 1 shot. I think the current rules are fine. A rifle in pistol caliber is just fine for our whitetails.....

Top Bottom