• Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Final Instructions

We will meet at the main office at the Morgan-Monroe State Forest, 6220 Forest Rd., Martinsville, IN. We will then proceed to the Low Gap Trail.

We should meet at 7:30 AM and depart from the main office to the starting point at 8:00 AM.

RUCKWORK: A one-day class built around a ruck march through rolling, Southern Indiana terrain. We will be on the move for the entire class, stopping along the way to conduct classes in various survival topics, to include: survival planning and priorities, wilderness 1st aid and trauma care, shelter building, making fire, procuring and treating water, finding food, basic land navigation and signals/comms. You will learn by doing, hands on. This class will test your gear, your loadout and you.

This is not a Spartan race, but students should be able to cover 5-8 miles with their bug out bag, over hilly trails. Sturdy, broken-in boots and layers are recomended. If you have a bug out bag, bring it. You will have a great opportunity to try it out and see what works and what doesn't. Everyone will be asked to share their thoughts on their loadouts from time to time, depending on what we are doing in the class room sessions.

DATE: Saturday, May 4, 2013
    LOCATION: Morgan-Monroe State Forest, 6220 Forest Rd., Martinsville, IN
    PRICE: $100 ($50 reservation) - If you utilize PayPal, the deposit (or entire fee of $100) can be sent directly to WETSU at rbkolkman@comcast.net. If you do not use PayPal, your payment can be sent to me (Que) or I can arrange to meet you. If you are not paying in full, the remaining $50 can be paid on the day of the class.
    CLASS SIZE: We are looking at a class of 8-10 participants

Please feel free to post any questions you may have.

This is an introductory video by WETSU, who will be the instructor for this class. He has years of experience in this area and will convey a great deal of his knowledge during this class.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBo0-pRtqkY"]WETSU[/ame]

This is a James Yeager video and I only include it to give some an idea what COULD be included in their ruck.

CONFIRMED PARTICIPANTS: (black=reserved space; green=deposit paid)
    Que
    Glock
    indychad
    Mark S.

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Depending on the location, shootin' irons are encouraged. If you CCW, absolutely bring your roscoe.

My rule is however, if you bring a rifle or shotgun, its stays on your or in reach the whole time. When you are building your shelter, taking a wizz, getting water, or making a fire your rifle is on you. Thats how it would be post SHTF. You would live with your rifle like your life depends on it.

So yes, if the area we are operating in is permissive, bring 'em!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Any others interested in this? It will definitely be a great workout and a good time for personal assessment.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Is this single day or an overnighter? I'm not a stranger to a ruck and have been to SERE, but think this would be a fun getaway.

No, it's not an overnighter. I would like to see what kind of response we can get for this and then possibly set up an overnight event in the fall.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    This is a deal at $100, I took his two day winter survival course. I am sure he will be jamming a lot of info into this.

I would put this thread in the training forum.

indychad

Marksman
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    May 6, 2009
    Brown Co.
    I am interested. I'll have to get permission from the boss and will be good to go. When I get the green light, I'll contact Que and arange payment. Give me a day.

I'm in.

Last edited:

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    I may have some guys from the deep south (Louisville, KY area) interested. Anyone considered the Clark State Forest near Henryville for this? Vast acreage, rough terrain, and firearms-friendly.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Any idea what part of southern indiana this will be held at?

Not sure at this point, but definitely south of Bloomington and north of Kentucky.

I may have some guys from the deep south (Louisville, KY area) interested. Anyone considered the Clark State Forest near Henryville for this? Vast acreage, rough terrain, and firearms-friendly.

That could be a possibility. I'm gathering information on various sites to consider.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I'd love to join one of these but will be turkey hunting that weekend. But count me in as someone who is interested in future events.

Something for you guys to keep in mind if you're on public land is that the woods will likely have a good number of turkey hunters that Saturday. Don't wear anything red, white, or blue.....too many unsafe people.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I've talked to a couple of guys about prospective areas, but I want to be upfront and let everyone know that the priority is the ruckwork and classes. If we can't find a location that can accommodate shooting, then we will no longer consider that option. I'll keep everyone updated and hopefully, we can assemble an awesome group of participants for this event.

Also, ladies, do not hesitate to take part in this!

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    This sounds just dumb enough to be a good time...and by dumb, I mean good idea.

My schedule says I have to be at ILEA on the 6th. If I play my cards right, It may be possible to go down early and do this (I may be dreaming at this point with a newborn and three year old at home).

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    I'm interested whether we can tote guns or not. What's the scenario we're using for the load out? Are we reacting to a localized disaster and have to hoof it to a safer locale? Or is it just a basic " bring what you'd carry if you needed to spend an as yet undetermined amount of time in the woods" deal?

Just looking for some clarification.

Top Bottom