• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I guess I'll start by saying this is my bag that stays in my truck at all times. I keep a lot of stuff in the back of my Explorer that supplements some of this bag which I will list later. I will also post a link to what my first aid kit consists of instead of completely breaking down my entire setup (sorry I'm lazy). This is my current winter load which changes with the seasons. I work 15 miles from my house which is mostly residential, and cross one small river. Total weight with water is 34lbs. I'd appreciate any input/feedback good or bad, because after all knowledge is power.
    Items kept in my truck not photographed:
    -Columbia system jacket
    -4 Gallons water
    -Canned food (beans, vienna sausages,spam, etc.)
    -Gortex boots
    -Wool blankets
    -Sleeping mat
    -75 Rounds 9mm
    -Backup Kel-tec 9mm w/2 mags (I EDC my Glock 19)

My FAK is based off my BOB's kit, but scaled down appropriatly.

Zombie Squad • View topic - Indy's FAK

This is my complete bag:
    pictures294Small.jpg

pictures295Small.jpg

pictures297Small.jpg

pictures296Small.jpg

External contents:
    -MOLLE II Patrol pack
    -2 quart insulated canteen with purification tabs on the side
    -SAW ammo pouch with most of my food (list to follow)
    -Insulated Nalgene carrier with wide mouth Nalgene, and fitted stainless cup
    -5'x8' tarp
    -2 liter hydration system
    -MSS intermediate bag w/ Gortex Bivy
    -Coast V2 powerchip flashlight
    -2 Baby biners
    -Columbia compass with thermometer
    -Pealess whistle with lanyard

Food break down:
    -2 Jack Links beef n cheese
    -2 Jack links strips
    -2 Cliff bars
    -3 Tuna pouches
    -2 Instant soup
    -2 Hot choclate mix
    -1 Bag o' trail mix
    -1 LMF Spork
    -3 Jiff "To go" cups of peanut butter
    -10 Tortillas (shelf stable till 10/08 in main pouch)
    -6 Mayo packets (rotated by season)
    -6 Grape jelly packets (rotated by season)
    Front pouch contents:

pictures298Small.jpg

-Leather work gloves
    -FAK (see above for contents)
    -Leather belt
    -2 pair smart wool socks
    -1 pair "40 Below" socks with polypro liners
    -2 pair boxers
    -4 spare flashlight batteries
    -Notepad with 2 pens
    -Maps
    -GI extreme wet weather rain suit
    -Approx. 60' duct tape
    -2 Ameriglo chem lights

Main pack items:
    pictures300Small.jpg

Personal hygene:
    -2 packs of 8 "Comabt Bath"
    -Ziploc with:
    Deodorant
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrush
    Hankercheif
    Toilet paper
    Small bar of soap

pictures299Small.jpg

Clothing:
    -1 Polypro long underwear set
    -2 Moisture wicking t-shirts
    -1 Winter hat
    -1 Pair of gloves
    -1 Fleece jacket
    -1 Pair tan BDU pants
    Tools, and other stuff:

pictures301Small.jpg

-100' Paracord
    -4 Hand warmers
    -6 Thick aluminum tent stakes
    -Grundig AM/FM radio with weather channels, and extra batteries in case
    -Winchester multi-tool
    -Cheap head lamp
    -Coke can stove (fuel in container taped shut, in ziploc, inside empty nalgene on outside of pack)
    -Ontario knife company knife with sharpening stone
    -Fire making bag including:
    4 ziptied lighters
    MFS
    Pill bottle (no label) with 8 or so vasolined cotton balls
    Small bag of cotton dryer lint
    Tube of waterproof matches with strikers

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    looks pretty complete. how long do you expect it to take you to get home? i submit that you may be trying to carry an awful lot of gear for a quick dash to the house. not faulting you, i like the bob, just saying.

IndianasFinest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Salem
    I guess it just depends on whats goin on...... Things could be taken out or added as neccessary. If for some reason I can't take the easiest route home, and have to be descrete my 15 mile trip may double or triple. I like the old saying it's better to have it, and not need it then to need it, and not have it. I could survive with this bag for 72 hours if need be. Also this bag is in the truck all the time, and I have found it handy in a bunch of different situations that didn't include humpin it on my back home. Another thing I should mention.... the carry weight of this bag is 34lbs with about 7lbs of that being water. This time of year I really wouldn't need all my water storage containers filled which would help lighten the load.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    This time of year I really wouldn't need all my water storage containers filled which would help lighten the load.

actually, you'll need it as much or more than in summer.

as to your load, i agree with your reasoning. i think that your 72 hour estimate is way low. you might need another pound or two of food, but you should be able to go as long as you need to go with that gear.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    You can Google a "walking map". It will show you the accepted walking route and list milage and time it would take from one point to another.

From my job to home is a little farther because I use the interstate when driving. The "walking" takes me through town. (6.9 mi, 2hr 17 minutes) (for a "fit" person)

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Good setup to keep in the veh, but it seems to big to me for 15 miles. I would re-arrange it, so you could easily dump most of the weight and keep essentials.

If you had to get home fast and on foot, how long would it take you? Best thing to do is do a dry run.

My GHB is a messenger bag, for my 15 mile hike. My BOB is the size of yours above.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Good setup to keep in the veh, but it seems to big to me for 15 miles. I would re-arrange it, so you could easily dump most of the weight and keep essentials.

If you had to get home fast and on foot, how long would it take you? Best thing to do is do a dry run.

My GHB is a messenger bag, for my 15 mile hike. My BOB is the size of yours above.

35 pound pack and 15 miles to travel right at maybe 4 hours.

My pack is similar to his plus I carry 100' of 3/8 kermantile cause its handy, an M1 carbine with 100 rounds cause its just big enough, and my sidearm. Oh and carharts in this time of year.

Oh and Its 32 miles from my driveway to the parkinglot at work. I can cover that distance in about 14 hours, little longer than that in the winter.
    :twocents:

fg12351

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Fishers
    Thanks for sharing guys. I'm constructing a kit for my oft traveling fiancee and you gave me some good ideas.

rafterman191

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Nice set up. I have several bags. 3 alice w/ frames, an internal framed (caribee maybe) and an external framed (Kelty) regular back pack. I need to start setting them up.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    good list and kudos for the organization:yesway: off hand the only thing I would change is the knife selection, not saying yours is bad but I would at least add a good "7-"9 fixed blade like a becker bk9. as a rule for me in a survival pack I carry at least 3 knives, a large fixed blade for heavy tasks, a smaller fixed blade for more detailed work and a folder for back-up.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I'm not sure you can have "too much" stuff in your emergency kit as long as you have all of it prioritized. If you find yourself in a situation where you can't carry it all, just leave what you can't carry in ascending level of priority to your own well being. That can happen at your starting point, along the way, or both as your needs and situation change.

If I have to walk, I'm not taking much more than what I have on me and some water. I can get about two miles at a time that way from experience, but I'd need to rest for a while before I went farther. With rough terrain, that decreases substantially, so I wouldn't even try to carry more.

Which pretty much means that if my truck isn't mobile, neither am I. :D

Top Bottom