• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    God, I really hate for THAT to be the reason I buy a gun, but nevertheless, I'm leaning toward an LCR .357. I found one at a mom and pop gun shop for $479 new, and I'd rather buy from a local shop than save $10 at a big box store.

Edited to add: Just checked--$549 at Gander Mountain. Woohoo!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    The ladies getting those must not be shooting one first. I would think the amount of recoil on .357 LCR would be unpleasant at best. Which means you won't practice much. Or I could be wrong. I'd think a 38 would do the trick.

on the other hand you can shoot 38 out of a 357 so maybe it's the better choice anyway since you can't shoot a 357 out if a 38.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    The ladies getting those must not be shooting one first. I would think the amount of recoil on .357 LCR would be unpleasant at best. Which means you won't practice much. Or I could be wrong.

There u go thinking.:ugh: Have "you" shot one to be able to give that advise?

Anyway, having shot both the .38 and the .357, the felt recoil of an LCR is IMO somewhat lighter than many other guns with a similar size and weight frame. The full load .357's are a handful, but not painful to shoot, while .38 practice rounds are actually quite pleasant for a small frame revolver.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Actually, the extra weight of an LCR in 357 (steel frame as opposed to aluminum used in the other models of the line) coupled with the Hogue tamer grips that come on them from the factory makes for a pretty mild shooting experience with 38. I've heard the 38 version is a little handful, but my experience (and that of my recoil-sensitive wife) with the 357 was a pretty easy to shoot snubby. Full power 357 will get your attention, but anything less than full-power loads are pretty easy to shoot in the thing...

In fact, I was one of those (with her input, mind you) who bought one for the wife. It was her favorite gun to shoot, but she felt it too bulky to carry with her preferred method, so she's running a G26 now.

MUCH less felt recoil than the Airweight Smiths firing +P 38...

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    There u go thinking.:ugh: Have "you" shot one to be able to give that advise?

Anyway, having shot both the .38 and the .357, the felt recoil of an LCR is IMO somewhat lighter than many other guns with a similar size and weight frame. The full load .357's are a handful, but not painful to shoot, while .38 practice rounds are actually quite pleasant for a small frame revolver.

See, slow on the draw again! ^^^^^^^ THIS!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd rather shoot an LCR in .38 Special than My airweight J-frame with the same ammo.

I've shot a small .357 COP pistol before - wasn't much fun. I don't think I want to shoot a small revolver in .357 polymer frame or not.

If you've got a good deal on the .357 - by all means, buy it. You can always keep the stoutest .38 Special +p in it you can find and get along OK.

OP: Do you have experience with small revolvers? They're not "beginner" or "first" guns. They're not all that easy to shoot and to shoot well. And they certainly can be unpleasant.

A gun that's unpleasant to shoot won't be shot much for practice. And small guns need more practice to develop proficiency....

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Actually, the extra weight of an LCR in 357 (steel frame as opposed to aluminum used in the other models of the line) coupled with the Hogue tamer grips that come on them from the factory makes for a pretty mild shooting experience with 38. I've heard the 38 version is a little handful, but my experience (and that of my recoil-sensitive wife) with the 357 was a pretty easy to shoot snubby. Full power 357 will get your attention, but anything less than full-power loads are pretty easy to shoot in the thing...

In fact, I was one of those (with her input, mind you) who bought one for the wife. It was her favorite gun to shoot, but she felt it too bulky to carry with her preferred method, so she's running a G26 now.

MUCH less felt recoil than the Airweight Smiths firing +P 38...
    ^^^this I owned one too. Not bad I just didn't want it
    anymore

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    The LCRs must be better than the S&W Bodyguard .38 then, since that thing was unpleasant to shoot with an awful trigger. I sold it pretty quickly and went back to a small semi-auto as my carry piece (currently a Kahr CM9).

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Maybe the light weight and easy conceal ability out weighs the little discomfort of the recoil. My sister in law loves her LCR mainly because she carries in her purse, and she doesn't notice the extra weight. Besides anyone who can push a 7 pound 5 ounce human out, can handle a little recoil!

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    OP: Do you have experience with small revolvers? They're not "beginner" or "first" guns. They're not all that easy to shoot and to shoot well. And they certainly can be unpleasant.

A gun that's unpleasant to shoot won't be shot much for practice. And small guns need more practice to develop proficiency....
    As a XDs owner and operator, AMEND to this!!

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I haven't shot that one but I have shot a Ruger security 6 in 357. I still do, periodically. Most of the time I use 38s. Because of the recoil. I'm assuming a smaller gun will be less pleasant. As a rule, though certainly not 100%, ladies seem to prefer less recoil than that in their carry guns. ( from many conversations ) Thus, I'm passing along advice to try some 357s. But like I said, since you can just drop down to 38 if the 357 is too much then it probably doesn't matter.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I haven't shot that one but I have shot a Ruger security 6 in 357. I still do, periodically. Most of the time I use 38s. Because of the recoil. I'm assuming a smaller gun will be less pleasant. As a rule, though certainly not 100%, ladies seem to prefer less recoil than that in their carry guns. ( from many conversations ) Thus, I'm passing along advice to try some 357s. But like I said, since you can just drop down to 38 if the 357 is too much then it probably doesn't matter.

Without going into a lot of detail, the design of the LCR is quite different from all of Rugers other offerings, and most other revolvers in the same size frame. The barrel has been lowered in relation to the grip, and is now more in line with the web of your hand, thus transferring the energy straighter back into the mass of your hand and arm, reducing muzzle flip and the associated wrist torque.

Jarhead77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Noblesville
    My wife also carries and fires an LCR .357. She is 5'2" and 105 dripping wet. She loves it!!!! We go to the range monthly and she won't fire anything else...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The LCRs must be better than the S&W Bodyguard .38 then, since that thing was unpleasant to shoot with an awful trigger. I sold it pretty quickly and went back to a small semi-auto as my carry piece (currently a Kahr CM9).

I think the LCR in .38 spl is the best pocket revolver on the market. The difference in perceived recoil with an LCR and a S&W j-frame airweight or its equivalent is dramatic. That's not hyperbole, it's dramatic. It hurt my hand to shoot my S&W 440. My LCR is almost pleasurable to shoot. Part is that the polymer frame absorbs some of the vibration, but I think the wider backstrap and overall a better grip makes the biggest difference.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    If the LCR is steel framed, then there really isn't any point in comparing it to the light weight models. I have one of the latter as a BUG. I hope I never have to use it. It hurts. The ability to maintain a good grip can be problematic for those with larger hands, but that is probably why it is well-suited to women.

Besides anyone who can push a 7 pound 5 ounce human out, can handle a little recoil!
    Pfft. Amateur. 9lb10oz VBAC. And I can tell you that the two have nothing to do with each other. :)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    If the LCR is steel framed, then there really isn't any point in comparing it to the light weight models. I have one of the latter as a BUG. I hope I never have to use it. It hurts. The ability to maintain a good grip can be problematic for those with larger hands, but that is probably why it is well-suited to women.

I don't have experience with the .357 version, but the .38 spl LCR has a polymer frame. There is also some aluminum alloy, and the steel parts are only inside the barrel and some of the moving parts.

Top Bottom