• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I see there are AR build parties and AK build parties.

How about a 1911 build party?

I like to think I'm fairly decent at understanding the ins and outs of the design. OD* is an awesome counterbalance for me though - both of our ideas are sound, but he's more conservative while I like to push designs.

Spending the time with Matt (HFB) yesterday made me realize that this could be fun. I'm usually much better at explaining what I'm doing while I'm doing it than I was with Matt, but I had been up for 24hrs+ at that time because of some life issues, and was only able to put my full concentration on one or the other, not both.

Regardless, we got an acceptable trigger pull on his milspec with judicious application of stones, and a couple spring changes. Also got it fitting his hand better with a spare MSH I had. Also traded him a trigger I had already smoothed the bow on. It shoots very much nicer now.

Also got to looking at the Springfield V12. It had trouble feeding hollowpoints. It had been back to Springfield, and they installed a new extractor (too tight) and hadn't smoothed the breech face. We did both, and it ran my cast "won't feed unless everything's 100% perfect" TC loads, as well as his hollowpoints, flawlessly.

I'd like to get my FFL license so I can just work on these in a shop, but those cost money. Meantime, build parties sound very much awesome to me.

Anybody else interested in this type of thing before I go getting serious with this, and start asking around about buildings in which to host it?

Thanks,

Josh

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    It doesn't have to be an all out "build" party, perhaps there's been a modification you've wanted to do or some little problem to be worked on etc.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This sounds great!

A couple of selfish suggestions;

- Plan on more than one of these with the initial party being about complete disassembly/reassembly. Tips, tricks, hows, whys and all the function checks included.

- Schedule these Dec.- Feb. to encourage participation. This would avoid scheduling conflicts with those who are shooting matches or training every weekend the other months.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I'd be interested in this too. I have a couple of 1911s that I'd like to do a little work on and would love to do it as part of a build party.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Probably complete disassembly and working out glitches would be more realistic.. As most of you know a complete build from parts that aren't already fitted is going to take some serious time, tools and experience. Unlike ARs and Glocks there's very little part interchangeability in 1911s. It's been my experience that some that own a 1911 would like to know how to take it completely apart but I would say that a great percentage could care less as long as it functions. (I've also run into a few that thought locking the slide back and running a brush and patch in from the muzzle side was cleaning):rolleyes: Personally I enjoy taking one completely apart but I've found that many people are intimidated by it. Keep me informed..

cornfused

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    out east
    I can do Bobtailed frames :) and fit beaver tails

Hmmm, I've been thinking about doing this to one of mine...

Probably complete disassembly and working out glitches would be more realistic.. As most of you know a complete build from parts that aren't already fitted is going to take some serious time, tools and experience. Unlike ARs and Glocks there's very little part interchangeability in 1911s. It's been my experience that some that own a 1911 would like to know how to take it completely apart but I would say that a great percentage could care less as long as it functions. (I've also run into a few that thought locking the slide back and running a brush and patch in from the muzzle side was cleaning):rolleyes: Personally I enjoy taking one completely apart but I've found that many people are intimidated by it. Keep me informed..

Definately, About the last thing I am still uncomfortable with removing as of yet is the sear and disconnector. Still learning it though.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Could be a real good time. Are you meaning actually "building" a 1911 as in from the receiver up, or changing parts on an existing pistol?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    seems like I always have a 1911 half way done, but I finished all my project pistols so I could work on some AR's the last couple months. I would be glad to offer up some help though

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    I can do Bobtailed frames :) and fit beaver tails

Hello Allen,

I'd like to see both. I fit beavertails and can bring a jig to the party - maybe some spare beavertails too now that I think about it, we'll see - and I'd like to see others' techniques on this.

The way I do it is this: I put the jig on, use a cutoff wheel on a Dremel to get close (the ONLY time I use a Dremel on guns is fitting a beavertail), grind down as needed to get the rough shape, and then do the rest with files and sandpaper.

Never have done a bobtail, but wouldn't mind a bobtail Commander as a backup.

I'd like to see you work.

Josh

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It just so happens :)

This is my most recent "from Scratch" Build. It's a 10mm BTW

picture.php

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Could be a real good time. Are you meaning actually "building" a 1911 as in from the receiver up, or changing parts on an existing pistol?

Hi OD,

I'm thinking, on my part, doing simple stuff. Feeding problems, trigger jobs, etc. Or rather, letting folks learn how to do this themselves.

I'm not thinking major alterations here.

Let's say a complete tear down, clean, and inspect. Anything that can be replaced during this time should be - I think folks should probably show up with spring kits and, if they want say, new hammers, sears, triggers, whatever can be dropped in with minimal fitting save a bit of stoning, should be replaced during this time.

If folks want to alter the frame, well, I really have no problem with that, but it takes me eight hours to fit a beavertail because I do take it slowly. I'm sure others could go much faster.

Now, on the other hand, I can fit thumb safeties as fast as most and faster than a few, just because I have tried just about all of them out there, on my dime. Ambis take about half an hour for me, but I could whip out a single side in way less than 15 minutes.

So I'm sorta' thinking this:

Bring the following:

Complete spring kit

Any internals you want to add (hammer, sear, trigger, etc)

We'll just break the pistols down, everyone can learn how they work, then putting them back together we'll all just replace the springs and whatever other parts we want.

I think the stuff that takes major fitting like barrels, slides, beavertails, etc should wait - unless there's someone who wants to dedicate the day to this while the rest do the basic tear down and rebuild.

Sound like a plan?

Thanks,

Josh

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    If I wasn't going to school, I'd love to use one of you guys' sear jigs for a few of my pistols.

Top Bottom