• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Helping Homeless: Homeowner puts up tent city in his own backyard for homeless - WXIN

VIDEO

This is in a neighborhood where two of my good friends live, and just a mile from me. The whole neighborhood is pissed off, and seems there is nothing they can do about it.

One of them is on full alert and is afraid to sleep at night for fear of what they may do around the neighborhood.

Anybody have any legal suggestions?

I would say he is disturbing the peace, and likely should have a permit to allow camping. I'm very surprised the city hasn't shut him down. They shut everything down.

Man puts up tents in backyard to house homeless
    A Monroe County man is tired of waiting for the city of Bloomington to help the homeless so he put up tents in his backyard. The tent city is not a welcome addition to the neighborhood.
    12:35 AM EDT, April 24, 2010

Monroe County, Ind. - A Monroe County man is tired of waiting for the city of Bloomington to help the homeless so he put up tents in his backyard. The tent city is not a welcome addition to the neighborhood.

Dr. Harold Taylor, 91, has made it his life mission to help the homeless who he says are being kicked out by the city of Bloomington. The makeshift camp and Taylor's home are just outside city limits.

"It never occurred to me that this would happen putting up tents in my own backyard," Dr. Taylor told FOX59 News.

He says he has tried for a year to get Bloomington leaders to help find a safe place for homeless to go this time of year when temporary, winter shelters close.

Taylor spent several nights this month outside with the homeless in area parks but they were always kicked out. One Friday night he was taken to jail for trespassing.

"If not me then who? Someone has to do something. They are human beings," said Taylor.

Neighbors on West Fairway Lane who spoke with FOX59 don't disagree with helping the homeless but they can't agree with bringing people onto their street they don't know. Melody Dennis says she counted 25 people leaving the tent city one morning this week.

"What if they hop the fence? What are they doing at night? We don't know. We have everything locked up and it's changing the dynamics of this neighborhood," Dennis said.

Taylor says he has a long list of volunteers who help him by providing a van, food, and toiletries. Those volunteers pick up a group of homeless every night in Bloomington at the 3rd Street Park. They are dropped off again the next morning.

So far the backyard tent city has been given approval to continue by the Monroe County Sheriff's Department and the Monroe County Health Department.

Neighbors are pushing to find a way to check if any of the men who sleep in their neighborhood now are convicted sex offenders.

Last edited:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I take it this isn't a HOA neighborhood.:D

This old codger will feel sorry for them until one of them beats and robs him.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Wonder if there are any zoning violations? I'm not really well versed in that stuff, but it sounds like maybe there could be a way to say he's doing more than just your normal residential stuff there. :dunno:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I see both sides of this issue. Yes, it's great that he's willing to help. But he should also be prepared to accept some level of responsibility if things go wrong. If I set up a shooting range, I have a responsibility to my neighbors that my bullets are contained on my property and pose no threat to my neighbors. I have no proof that any of the guys living in his backyard are thieves, rapists, etc. I don't think the fact that they are there can give the homeowner any legal responsibility but I think there should be a moral one to his neighbors.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Because lending a hand to those who literally have nothing and no choices in that area is moronic? He has a cause, and he's fighting for it. Far more than you can claim.

Most of the people that are homeless and dont live in shelters, live where they do by choice. Usually its because they dont want to follow the rules of the shelter....mainly the non use of Alcohol.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    His land, his business. And I for one think he's doing a great thing.

It's not land. It's a lot, and quite a small one at that. This neighborhood backs up against the Bloomington Country Club too. Wait till they catch wind of it.

I called the city to ask about hosting a live band for a neighborhood block party this summer, and was told I had to apply for a permit, with fees. Not real sure why they allow vagrants to take up residency in a homeowners backyard without a necessary permit, or fees.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I wasn't aware that property rights required a minimum size.

Fletch, as an advocate of property rights, I agree with you here. I've posted pics of the trash heap across the road from me and only started complaining to the county after the trash was blowing in my yard. It makes me nervous about trying to sell my place but ultimately it is the owners property.

I as a property owner wouldn't house homeless in my backyard out of respect for my neighbors.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I wasn't aware that property rights required a minimum size.
    Enforcing a maximum occupancy limit is likely to be related to lot size. This neighborhood is zoned single family, not multi-family.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Enforcing a maximum occupancy limit is likely to be related to lot size. This neighborhood is zoned single family, not multi-family.

That is kinda where my head is at on this one.

I have no problem with proper homeless shelters helping those who need a hand up and not a hand out. But resorting to a tent city in a neighborhood is not really good for anyone involved. Sure, it may be marginally better than being a vagrant and living on a park bench, but does nothing to address the other needs of sanitation, etc.

That is, unless he's opening his home to them for that part too...

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    His land, his business. And I for one think he's doing a great thing.

Yup. We always say that instead of people trying to get the government to help, instead of taking money from us to give to others, that they do so themselves if they feel so strongly about it.

Well, that's what this guy is doing, on his dime and on his land. Putting his money where his mouth is. And now, in liberal Bloomington, people are trying to control his land, tell him what he can do with it, and get rid of those people the libs say we are supposed to be so willing to help. Reckon they are only committed to helping others so long as it doesn't make them uncomfortable, or disturb their country club.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Hearts are bleeding all over this thread. :laugh: Kinda funny to see a few of you taking up for his cause, then turn around and become ecstatic in talking about shooting someone who wronged you.

Guaranteed if it was next door you to, you would be singing a different tune.

Top Bottom