• ...and so much more!
  • INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Hello all INGOers,

From day one, my wife and I have taught our children to say no to drugs. There are programs like D.A.R.E. that teach kids that drugs are bad. We tell them that if they see people doing drugs to say no. Schools have taught children to say no to drugs.

Well on Tuesday 02/23/2010 my 13 year old daughter was in gym locker room getting ready for gym class, when a fellow student came up to her told her look what so-and-so brought to me. She then handed my daughter a pill that was later determined to be an adderall pill. She looked at it, and put it back in the girls bag, and said no she didnt want it.

WAY TO GO RACHAEL!!!!!

She went to gym class, and finished gym, went to her next class, and about halfway thru the class, the principal of the school came and took her to the office. He proceeded to question her about the incident, she told him what happened, and she remained in his office until the end of school which was about 30 minutes. The next day when she went to school, she was again brought down to the principals office this time to be questioned by the assistant principal. She explained what happened and was asked to fill out a "witness statement" which she did voluntarily. At that point, she was asked to wait in the counseling office. My wife was then called and told to come pick our daughter up because she was being suspended for 5 days because she was "in possession" of drugs on school property. My wife proceeded to the school, and talked with the assistant principal, and was basically told that because our daughter hand handled the pill she was technically "in possession" of drugs, and the policy was to suspend out daughter and require her to go to drug counseling before she would be allowed back into school.

I myself as a father, as well as EVERYONE else who has heard our story agree, that the message that this sends is absolutely incorrect, the message that this sends is that if you do drugs you will get into trouble, and if you say no to drugs, you will get into trouble, so if you are going to get in trouble whether you do drugs or say no, then you might as well do the drugs since you are going to get in trouble anyway....

My wife and I were told in no uncertain terms that this was school policy, and this zero-tolerance policy would be enforced.

Well I figured since they wanted to be very matter-of-fact, I called the school superintendents office, asked to speak with the superintendent, was told I would have to leave a message. I then received a call from the assistant superintendent, asking about my concerns. I told him that I was only going to speak with the superintendent, and said thank you very much, and goodbye, and hung up the phone. Not receiving a callback from the superintendent by about 1630 I called his office back, and was again directed to leave a message which I did. I then call my wife who I tell to contact the news media outlets. She contacted whas11 and wlky32 in Louisville, KY just across the river from us here in Jeffersonville. I then sent e-mails to the national coordinator for D.A.R.E. and the local coordinator for Indiana. I also e-mailed every reporter at wave3 in Louisville. Our story was picked up by wave3 and whas11 news and my wife and daughter were interviewed and was lead story on the 6PM news on 02/25/2010 on both stations. Unbelievable I think wow, our story is something that the news thinks people ought to know about.

Well I ask that you all watch to videos, they were also the front page of both the news websites.

WAVE3 Video

WHAS11 Video

I myself have contacted the Indiana superindendent of schools Tony Bennett, and was told by his office that this would be handled only by the local school district. I contacted the school board president, who was very helpful, and I thank him for his assistance. The national director for D.A.R.E. e-mailed me back to tell me that they are a prevention organization and not an enforcement organization, which made no sense to me. How about a call to the school principal, asking how come a student is being suspended for saying no to drugs? How about a call from the local chapter of D.A.R.E. to say:

WAY TO GO RACHAEL!!!!!

So I dont really understand why I would get back the response I got, but I did e-mail back asking for clarification and have not yet received a response. -1 to D.A.R.E.

I received a call back from the school board president, who said that he could get a phone conference with myself and the school superintendent, Stephen Daschner. Well yesterday, Friday, I had that phone conference, and along with Stephen Daeschner, the assistant superintendent, we talked at length about my daughters situation, and quite honestly I can sum it up in just a couple of words, "She handled the pill, she was in possession, she will serve her suspension, period, explanation point, the end!" Oh but we will accept a letter from her pastor saying that she doesnt do drugs, he has talked to her and they will accept that instead of the drug counseling.

Well -1 to the Greater Clark County Schools My wife and I have talked at great length about taking our children out of the school system andhome schooling them. At least they would loose the federal bucks for 2 more children. But that is another story, and this post is already too long. I plan to pursue other avenues of opportunity, like my local city council person, mayor, other politicos in the chain. Just to put pressure on the schools that this kind of stuff is WRONG.

My daughter should have been awarded some kind of a D.A.R.E. award for saying no, but she is being punished for doing what the system asked her to do. The ONLY thing, and I mean the ONLY thing that I could even find any fault in her was why she didnt report the incident to the principal, and teacher immediately, well it didnt make any difference if she would have or not, because during the news interview of Marty Bell the COO of the school system, he said, that even if she would have reported it immediately she would have been suspended, because "she handled the drugs, so she was in possession". Well again, good job in making the school district look like fools.

Well I will post follow-ups as things progress, I hope that this story gets out as this is BS to the highest degree.

Thanks for listening...

INGunGuy and PROUD daddy to RACHAEL who by the way is dead on with her Remington 597!

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    It's amazing how poor the quality of public education has become at the expense of political correctness and broad, sweeping, generalized rules set forth for the masses.

A HUGE :+1: to both you and your wife. If only more parents were as involved and concerned as the two of you obviously are.

Please don't let this story get swept under the rug, and hopefully it's an election year for many members of your school board.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Way to go Rachael!! I agree she should have got a DARE award. What happened to the girl that had the pill originally and the so and so that brought it in?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    This crap breaks my heart. She obviously learned all of the lessons from you and the Say No programs. She did the right things and deserves to be upheld as a model student, not ostracized as a drug user.
    School Corporations get so tied up following the letter of the law, they fail to use common sense and good reasoning. Of course she is going to look at it. "So and so gave me..." she would have to handle it to look at it. It's what you do after that is a true measure of character and she passed with flying colors. :+1:Rachel!

I'll be watching this thread to see how this plays out. Good luck and my prayers will be with you and your family.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Your daughter handled herself well. :patriot:

These zero tolerance policies are politically correctness run amok. This type of behavior exhibited by every authority figure you have talked to simple reinforces a negative message. Just hide it or don't get caught.

The response from D.A.R.E was very lame.

Hearing about a 13 year old girl that stands up for herself and does the proper thing is something that should be celebrated! Good job on your part too.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    INGunGuy and PROUD daddy to RACHAEL who by the way is dead on with her Remington 597!

First off, WAY TO GO RACHAEL.

Secondly, my wife is a PUBLIC school teacher. She gave up a 6 figure job as a commercial banker to "give back" to the community and has been a teacher in our local school system for the past 7 or 8 years. What you wrote about your school system does not surprise me based on the stories that I hear almost every week from my wife.

Finally, our daughter is in a PRIVATE school. Why? Simple. We don't want to put up with the public school crap that you just encountered. I would encourage you to check out your local private schools, even the various Catholic or Christian schools as many of them will accept students of any (or no) faith. But the education is so vastly superior to that received at MOST of the public schools, despite the major advantages that most public schools have in terms of money, equipment, and offerings. My daughter is now a freshman at a Catholic high school that had over 1200 applicants for just 400 openings. Many of her classmates are not Catholic but simply want a good education. There is a reason that people try to get their kids in that school, THE EDUCATION IS BETTER and the EDUCATORS ARE RATIONAL.

If I were you, I would seriously look into moving your child into the best school you can find and I'd be willing to bet that she ends up in a private school. Sadly you just can't reason with petty bureaucrats in the public school system.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Was she suspected of doing drugs before this incident happened?

How did anyone beyond her and the other girl find out about this?

This also proves the point, don' help the police or any of authority because it will always come back to bite you.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Congratulations, Rachel.

I just sent this email:
    Dear Principal Denny and Superintendent Daeschner -
    I have just heard about Rachel Greer's story. I do not know the family nor do I even live in southern Indiana. However, I am moved to speak out against your school's drug policy. I would simply like to point out that it's already difficult for kids to say no, hence why the D.A.R.E. and similar programs even exist; why would your school have a policy that punishes students for doing exactly what they were taught? Rachel said no, and now she loses out on five days of valuable class instruction. Rachel's actions should be positively reinforced, not negatively. I'm disappointed by your choice to punish her. At least you have taught her valuable lesson in all of this, although a pessimistic one at that: the good guy doesn't always get ahead. Thank you for at least introducing her to our often backwards and tumultuous world. I pray that Rachel has the strength to learn from this experience and continues on her straight and narrow path despite your school's unwillingness to support them in such a journey.
    Sincerely,
    Amy Pfaff
    Concerned Citizen in Northwest Indiana

And here's a link to a local private high school for you to look into for Rachel's sake when she hits high school. It's a fabulous school and one that I've had nothing but positive interactions with, both from students and staff. Good luck.

http://www.providencehigh.net/

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    In alot of cases ..those who can do ....the rest become teachers ..and if they screw up teaching well enuff they become principals ..

:noway::noway:
    Big -1000 for the school system for the treatment of a child they should be using as a model of honesty and saying no to drugs ...

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    Did that guy seriously say she shouldn't have been near the situation? SERIOUSLY?! She was in CLASS. I've seen some asinine **** in my day, but this takes the cake. Man, tell your kid she did good and some times bad things happen to good people. This REALLY upsets me. I'm no where near your district, but I'll be sending a letter along. Tell your kid to keep her head up!

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Of course this makes all public schools rotten, right? I love the blanket responses like that. That kind of thing uses as much common sense as the morons on the school board who adopted zero tolerance.

This is why zero tolerance is a dumb idea. It makes it so school officials are not allowed to use their brains.

Before everyone starts bashing public schools, remember several things: First, this school district deserves to be bashed, not every public school. Most of them don't have these stupid zero tolerance policies. She would have never been suspended in my school, if the story is true as written. Second, the community elected this school board which publicly adopted the policy. Where were people when they had the chance to speak up and criticize this decision? How about going after these board members during the election campaign? Sounds like the community was asleep at this one. Of course, this is the same board that appointed Tony Bennett to superintendent. This is the same guy that, according to an administrator in the district, told his administrators there that he knew nothing about curriculum and that kind of "stuff", but would handle the "PR" while they took care of that.

I'm disapoiinted that they made this decision with this girl, for doing exactly the right thing. I would have absolutely given her great praise for doing what she did. I would have been happy if she kept it and gave it to a teacher or administrator. We've had kids do that before, and they certainly did not get punished for it.

Zero tolerance is soon followed by bad things. It does not allow anyone to use common sense. I am very glad I don't work in a school district that has it, and I would never do so, even if it meant I had to leave the field.

Let us know how things work out. Another thing you can do is approach a neighboring school district about your daughter attending one of their schools. Schools now have the ability to accept transfer tuition. If they agree, you would have to provide transportation, but you would not have to pay tuition. We do that all the time for students in good standing. I've considered it for my kids, myself, to send them to the district where I am employed. (Not for any reason against my local district, but more because I believe in some of the strong programs in my district)

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    In alot of cases ..those who can do ....the rest become teachers ..and if they screw up teaching well enuff they become principals ..

:noway::noway:
    Big -1000 for the school system for the treatment of a child they should be using as a model of honesty and saying no to drugs ...

Nice. Why don't you tell me what you do, so that I can take a personal shot back by making a dumb blanket statement like that.

There are morons in every profession. In this case, if the district had zero tolerance, the principal's hands are tied by board policy. Chances are, the community supported this, and there are all kinds of professions in that community and on the board. Let's hear your thoughts on how everyone in those professions got their jobs.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Jeez, and we complain about cops being JBT's. It sounds like this school has has a bunch of JBT's at the helm. One thing is for sure, if the school board doesn't intervene in this matter, and immediately, they should all be thrown out on their a**es when they come up for election.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    One more thing: Everyone here whose child is in a public school needs to go and request a look at the board policy manual. In it, you will find if there is a zero tolerance policy. (Or, you can just ask, but I'd see for myself.) If there is, then you need to go to a school board meeting and make comment on it. Let them know of situations like this, and ask them what there expectations would be of administrators if this situation occured in the district, or one such as a student bringing a nail file or toe-nail clippers to school.

Zero tolerance is usually supported by board members and communities because it looks like a get-tough measure.

You might be surprised to know this, but conservatives are usually the ones in the community who support the idea of zero tolerance. For those of us conservatives that think we are always right, here is a prime example of something to challenge that notion.

Don't wait for this to happen to your child. Go check, and challenge it publicly. It is ultimately bad for kids.

CombatVet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bartholomew County
    One more thing: Everyone here whose child is in a public school needs to go and request a look at the board policy manual. In it, you will find if there is a zero tolerance policy. (Or, you can just ask, but I'd see for myself.) If there is, then you need to go to a school board meeting and make comment on it. Let them know of situations like this, and ask them what there expectations would be of administrators if this situation occured in the district, or one such as a student bringing a nail file or toe-nail clippers to school.

Zero tolerance is usually supported by board members and communities because it looks like a get-tough measure.

You might be surprised to know this, but conservatives are usually the ones in the community who support the idea of zero tolerance. For those of us conservatives that think we are always right, here is a prime example of something to challenge that notion.

Don't wait for this to happen to your child. Go check, and challenge it publicly. It is ultimately bad for kids.

That's good advice. I know from working at a Federal school that black and white policies never work. I was reprimanded several times for not following the policies to the letter. It's not a black and white world. There are several gray areas. Letting those who make the policy know what we want is the only way to change it.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    This is another glaring example of the failure of common sense. It's easier for a weak mind to fall back on a rule book than to be forced to use some intellect and judgment. Note in the WHAS11 video (at the -0.45 sec mark), the administrator is leafing through his regulation book -- as if the answer is in there rather than between his ears.

The administrator reveals the absurdity of his argument (at the -0.35 sec mark), where he says, "The act of saying 'NO' is not to be there." Excuse me? He's putting the responsibility onto the child to be absent from a situation where a risk might possibly exist? So the child should have refused gym class, I'm guessing?

This administrator does highlight a truth, however (though he probably doesn't realize it). If the solution is to "not to be there," I think the next two words to follow might be "school choice."

Tip of the hat to INGunGuy and his missus, who are obviously parenting well and raising a daughter who has good judgment and values. And to the young lady for doing the right thing.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    "This administrator does highlight a truth, however (though he probably doesn't realize it). If the solution is to "not be there," I offer "school choice." "

Indiana law now allows school choice, if the new school agrees. It is called transfer tuition. We accept kids or deny them in our district based mainly on their attendance and behavior record. (And no, we would not hold one incident, such as the one in this thread, as the basis for denial. I've accepted good kids who have had discipline issues. The ones we would deny are the ones with a pattern of bad behavior.)

The only catch is that you would have to provide transportation. I can't afford to send a school bus outside the district to pick up one or two kids. It would not be fair to my local tax payers to spend money that way.

Top Bottom