• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Anytime you see an opening line of "I am a strong second amendment supporter" you can be certain that they will go on to explain how they are not.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    had a long talk with Executive secretary Natalia Bethea Phone: 260-461-8439 about these paragraphs...

Instead one of the parents contacted school transportation security who in turn contacted the police. When a request was made for an officer to be at the bus stop the next day to check out the man with the gun, the school official got a surprise. A police officer could go to the bus stop, but the officer could not by law require the man to present his identification nor his gun permit.
    Keep in mind that aside from the Newtown killings, just last January an individual in Alabama shot to death a school bus driver before kidnapping a young girl. With schools and school buses becoming potential targets of those with violent
    intents including gang bangers, estranged parents, foreign and domestic terrorists or those deranged persons simply seeking to get noticed, it seems odd that an officer of the law is prevented from simply checking an individual's identification, especially when that person is within an immediate area of school children.
    As it now stands, an officer can only demand identification if the person in question acts out in a suspicious manner. What does that potentially mean? A police officer can't approach until that person has already started shooting?

I explained how the writer confused the LTC with "identification" and that he got the understanding of the law wrong. She defended it by stating it came from the community. I told her the paper was responsible for everything published in it. She said she would pass it on the "right" people.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Thats what I thought. And thats why I still don't understand what this reporters point is.

If I had to take a guess, I would say that the sheep were skeered, the reporter has no idea in the universe what the law is with or without consultation with a FWPD officer who likely doesn't know himself, and any 'reasonable' person can see that the only way to be 'safe' is when the police can approach anyone at will and demand, "Papier, bitte!"

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The author is not a reporter. He is Supervisor of Safety and Student Management in Fort Wayne Community Schools. It seems he write editorials on the side.

There's not a single bit of journalism in this piece and the NS should have done due diligence in their fact checking before running such an errant piece of pablum.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Please tell me of the ".9mm handgun".

And the idiot probably got mixed up where you cannot be asked to identify yourself unless suspected of basically committing a crime, do not have to inform police of gun when stopped, and the real one he forgot about... and you guys already stated... that the gun owner has to prove he has a LTCH (present it, recite the number, let them identify him, etc.)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When the general public, or guys at the gun store, talk about guns and the law, just remember that it is like 8th graders talking about sex: No one has the slightest idea about the subject but everyone is very enthused about the whole endeavor.

How are those "layers of editorial oversight" working out for the Media?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I drive a school bus part time. If I approach a pick-up point or drop-off point and I see some person packing a gun on his hip openly, I will be driving on and getting on the radio. This is serious stuff. It wouldn't be the first time a domestic dispute happened at a bus stop.

If I am at a bus stop with my grandkids and some person is standing there packing a gun on his hip openly, he will be confronted by this CC'er. He better not try to tell me about his "rights".

Who thinks it is smart to stand near a bus stop openly showing a handgun? Put yourself in the drivers seat of the bus before you start spouting about how its legal, blah, blah.

Display some common sense please. Just cover it up.

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I drive a school bus part time. If I approach a pick-up point or drop-off point and I see some person packing a gun on his hip openly, I will be driving on and getting on the radio. This is serious stuff. It wouldn't be the first time a domestic dispute happened at a bus stop.

If I am at a bus stop with my grandkids and some person is standing there packing a gun on his hip openly, he will be confronted by this CC'er. He better not try to tell me about his "rights".

Who thinks it is smart to stand near a bus stop openly showing a handgun? Put yourself in the drivers seat of the bus before you start spouting about how its legal, blah, blah.

I do every morning and every afternoon. So I don't see your point. Only outlaws hide their guns.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012

So cc at the bus stop??

Seriously everyone should just put their dresses on and give it up.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Did you catch the part about Domestic Disputes happening frequently at school bus stops? Think people. It isn't as simple as you make it out to be.
    I still don't get what you are saying. What's the diffrence if a person CC, OC or sets in there car? Does it make you feel safer there just cause you can't see it just before it happens? I feel me OC will stop a Domestic Disputes from happening in the first place.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I still don't get what you are saying. What's the diffrence if a person CC, OC or sets in there car? Does it make you feel safer there just cause you can't see it just before it happens? I feel me OC will stop a Domestic Disputes from happening in the first place.

I can't do anything about it if I can't see it. If I see it, I have to do something to protect the kids on the bus.

Your openly carried handgun won't stop any domestic dispute. Cops open carry and they frequently respond to domestic disputes. They are frequently attacked by both parties and are especially trained to minimize that danger. You lack that training and experience.

I have lots of experience dealing with domestic disputes. Way too many people going through a divorce are totally irrational and do lots of crazy things. Go on a ride-a-long on a evening or night shift to get your eyes opened to what people will do during a combative divorce.

Again, all I ask is that you think it through before you OC at a school bus stop. There are things going on that most people living in their cocoons of peace and tranquility have no clue about. Its not their fault, they just don't know. Ask any Police Officer....

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I can't do anything about it if I can't see it. If I see it, I have to do something to protect the kids on the bus.

Your openly carried handgun won't stop any domestic dispute. Cops open carry and they frequently respond to domestic disputes. They are frequently attacked by both parties and are especially trained to minimize that danger. You lack that training and experience.

I have lots of experience dealing with domestic disputes. Way too many people going through a divorce are totally irrational and do lots of crazy things.

Again, all I ask is that you think it through before you OC at a school bus stop. There are things going on that most people living in their cocoons of peace and tranquility have no clue about.
    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this subject.

Top Bottom