• Status
    Not open for further replies.

cyprant

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    North Georgia
    Often i see threads where a member here with less than 50 posts gets criticized for "making a run for it". These are not one liner posts or emoticons or +1 posts. These are well thought out posts that some veteran INGOer points out and replys with "only 17 more to go" or lately "going for gold!" These people make INGO suck for newbies. I LOVE INGO and have invited a dozen friends to join and they have, but they hall have complained of INGO members being crappy to them...

I though INGO has a 50 post rule to use the classifieds to show newbies that this is a good place and that we treat each other well. It seems counter intuitive at this point.

Thoughts?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I agree with what you're saying about being nice to new members, and I've seen a few get jumped on that didn't give me the impression they were running for the classifieds. When you open a forum and see the top 10 or 12 threads with the same new member posting in it, it's pretty obvious they've spotted that "must have" item in the classifieds. It's been rampant lately.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Yes! More infractions! Less freedom of speech! More rules!

The internets are serious business, let's keep them safe.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    :popcorn:

Obviously everyone starts with zero posts, but it's usually pretty clear who's just running for 50. If I notice it, I report it and let the mods decide what they think.

And yes, if I go to check unread posts and have to go to the second or third page to find anything relevant because someone has come along and necro-posted bumping 30+ dead threads to the top and buried current conversation, I AM likely to leave a snarky remark. I'm not ashamed nor to I believe I or anyone else should be sent to the corner for such behavior. :flamethrower: :soapbox:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    images

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    There's a few zombie threads running around thanks to new guys who don't read dates. Not that I mind people posting updates to their threads, but just some random person posting in a long dead thread does little good. Start a new one.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Often i see threads where a member here with less than 50 posts gets criticized for "making a run for it". These are not one liner posts or emoticons or +1 posts. These are well thought out posts that some veteran INGOer points out and replys with "only 17 more to go" or lately "going for gold!" These people make INGO suck for newbies. I LOVE INGO and have invited a dozen friends to join and they have, but they hall have complained of INGO members being crappy to them...

I though INGO has a 50 post rule to use the classifieds to show newbies that this is a good place and that we treat each other well. It seems counter intuitive at this point.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure how the infractions work, so I won't comment on that, but I do think that the comments about people racing to the classifies are out of control. People can't wait to show everyone how smart they are for figuring out the poster's intentions. I really don't think it serves any purpose calling people out. There are lots of reasons people post one-liners. Some have never used a forum like this before and might be unsure; other people just may not be very talkative. If someone is new to firearms, they may not have a lot to contribute at first but they still want to be a part of the conversation.

Am I giving some noobs too much credit? Maybe. But so what? They are members too, and they have the right to contribute however they see fit without getting a bunch of crap for it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There's a few zombie threads running around thanks to new guys who don't read dates. Not that I mind people posting updates to their threads, but just some random person posting in a long dead thread does little good. Start a new one.

That's a no-win situation. Start a new thread asking an old question, and someone will scream "dupe" and say you should have done a search and kept your mouth shut.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    That's a no-win situation. Start a new thread asking an old question, and someone will scream "dupe" and say you should have done a search and kept your mouth shut.

Exactly. However, I thunk we're going to have to accept the fact that there is A WHOLE lot of SUCK here. It's strange that this thread just popped up. I was just thinking that I will take a break from INGO for a while. Had to recently ignore my first member due to a high SUCK level.

I enjoy the good reads here and like to shoot the crap. Because honestly. I can get all the knife/gun info I need on the interwebs. So, I think I'm going to cut myself off after this evening. See if it makes me a happier camper.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Really stop and use your thinking cap. You restrict a new member from full participation based on posts OF COURSE they're going to try to get their post level up. Why not have the 50 post rule and a rule that a person must be a member for 30 days prior to full participation. Or at least warn members that they will be assaulted by jerk wads if they post too much too soon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ZA Now
    Top Bottom