• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eagle_Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    First of all noone will change my mind on this. I tend to obey the laws of the land, however when I go to the communist state of Illinois, specifically chicago, I always take my gun. Iam not going to have me and my family die so that I can say I upheld the communits, anti-constitutional laws that were created by idiot polititions in chicago. I don't take my gun in a post office generally or a bank, but there are times when I have to weigh the risks of being caught with the gun against the risks to my life, (chicago at night). Thanks to all.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Just curious as to the purpose of this post...is there a question here?

It is not a wise move to post confessions to illegal actions on the internet, and even less wise to perform them. Obey the law and investigate other methods of self-defense.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    When I go to Chicago, I leave my handgun behind, but do bring my shotgun.
    I always carry in banks, OC most of the time, and do obey the law by not carrying in the post office. When I go to the mall or other places where firearms are not permitted by their policies, I simply CC.

Eagle_Al

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    update

I agree with the last poster. Also I shouln't promote, and dont promote doing anything illegal. It is just a simple fact that I carry when iam in chicago. I only go there about 1 time a year to visit the wifes family.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Who said anything about "illegal" when a PRIVATE BUSINESS doesn't want you to carry on their property???

There is nothing illegal about carrying in any business that does not allow it, save perhaps govt property such as a school or post office.

The worse most of them would do is ask you to leave.

If the mall does not allow firearms and you CC, so what? They cannot arrest you as #1) they don't have the authority to do so and; #2) you have broken no law!

As far as going someplace that does have laws like Chicago, then it comes down to a risk/reward question and nothing else. I would honestly believe that if you were driving to business meeting in a public area during daylight hours and then going straight home, lower risk. Night out on the town with family and or friends, higher risk as exposure is greater. To me this would come down to simple comfort level and nothing more. What amount of risk are you uncomfortable with?

Regards,

Doug

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    you have to prioritize.

On one hand, the management of such a buisness may get mad and ask you to leave. On the OTHER hand, my wife would be PO'ed for sure if I were to be killed.

I can always go to another auto parts/grocery store, gas station, or library. I cant get another life.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    you have to prioritize.

On one hand, the management of such a buisness may get mad and ask you to leave. On the OTHER hand, my wife would be PO'ed for sure if I were to be killed.

I can always go to another auto parts/grocery store, gas station, or library. I cant get another life.

:): Even if someone tells you to...

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    When I go to Chicago, I leave my handgun behind, but do bring my shotgun.
    I always carry in banks, OC most of the time, and do obey the law by not carrying in the post office. When I go to the mall or other places where firearms are not permitted by their policies, I simply CC.

Yes what he said. But I usually CC, not always but usually.
    Worst they can do is ask you to leave.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Who said anything about "illegal" when a PRIVATE BUSINESS doesn't want you to carry on their property???

There is nothing illegal about carrying in any business that does not allow it, save perhaps govt property such as a school or post office.

If the mall does not allow firearms and you CC, so what? They cannot arrest you as #1) they don't have the authority to do so and; #2) you have broken no law!

As far as going someplace that does have laws like Chicago, then it comes down to a risk/reward question and nothing else. I would honestly believe that if you were driving to business meeting in a public area during daylight hours and then going straight home, lower risk. Night out on the town with family and or friends, higher risk as exposure is greater. To me this would come down to simple comfort level and nothing more. What amount of risk are you uncomfortable with?

Regards,

Doug
    This is true, however there are many more variables that must be taken into effect. I had the same problem about a year ago when I was driving to illinois and wisconsin for overnight stays in places I've never been. I asked some LEOs about what an officer might do should they find out If I am carrying, and explain my situation to them. The answer was always the same...JAIL.
    Concealed is concealed, and you'll probably never get caught. However, what if you get in a car wreck in Illinois? When the medics put you up on a gurney they will find your gun, and the police will be present...then JAIL, and you lose your ability to lawfully carry a firearm forever most likely. Just not worth it. If you need to, put the gun in a case in the trunk and holster up when you enter back onto free soil. Just too many variables we can't control.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    On the border

I have to be careful as we are right on the border with Illinois and lots of the county roads cross back and forth. It sucks, but I have to agree with the above poster that said it isn't worth the felony conviction.

Greatestsin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Morgan Township, NWI
    I understand the concept of tried by 12 instead of carried by 6, but is it really necessary to start a thread that is just about you telling us you break the law? Generally speaking, the gun community is a law-abiding community. Do what you will, but perhaps keep it to yourself, its not wise to advertise that you break the law.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Holy c@#$ , batman, what neighborhoods in Chi. are you visiting? I work for a railroad in Chicago, and spent 12 years working nights without a problem. And as I am sure most of you are aware, rail yards are not in nice 'hoods.
    The key is to know the hotspots and stay away. ANY of the projects are simply a no-go, even then you probably wouldn't have any trouble unless you were acting like an a-hole.
    As far as getting robbed, it isn't like the movies where a guy steps out of the alley with a knife/gun and says "gimme," it would be a group and they would ambush you, cc wouldn't help much.

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Holy c@#$ , batman, what neighborhoods in Chi. are you visiting? I work for a railroad in Chicago, and spent 12 years working nights without a problem. And as I am sure most of you are aware, rail yards are not in nice 'hoods.
    The key is to know the hotspots and stay away. ANY of the projects are simply a no-go, even then you probably wouldn't have any trouble unless you were acting like an a-hole.
    As far as getting robbed, it isn't like the movies where a guy steps out of the alley with a knife/gun and says "gimme," it would be a group and they would ambush you, cc wouldn't help much.

I think of all places, people on this forum know that bad things can happen anywhere, even outside of the 'hoods. Not trying to flame your post Bill B, just saying.

CC, while it can't always help you, it certainly can pay to take simple steps to increase your chances. Getting ambushed, while initially can prevent you from drawing, does not mean you won't get a chance to get your firearm into play before you're down and out.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    the only way you're going to be ambushed by a bunch of guys is if you are not staying aware, or you completely ignore every good sense you have and let that mob get close to you. Stay aware, see trouble and get the hell out...doesn't matter if you're ccing or not.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    detroit is my main concern. never been to chi, i cc everywhere i go but if it is a school i will leave it in the car also i leave it behind if there are metal detectors where i am going.

Last edited:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

not necessarily true. as a scenario posted by gunlawyer showed, carrying a gun into a business with a very explicit policy forbidding firearms could make you subject to immediate arrest for trespassing. now whether or not a LEO would want to be bothered with a criminal trespass charge is something else entirely.

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    not necessarily true. as a scenario posted by gunlawyer showed, carrying a gun into a business with a very explicit policy forbidding firearms could make you subject to immediate arrest for trespassing. now whether or not a LEO would want to be bothered with a criminal trespass charge is something else entirely.
    That's very true - the issue is whether a sign posted at the entrance to a building or property has "denied entry" to a person carrying a fiream. If so, and you enter the building or property anyway, you are at risk for prosecution for criminal trespass under IC 35-43-2-2:

"Criminal trespass; denial of entry; permission to enter; exceptions
    Sec. 2. (a) A person who:
    (1) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally enters the real property of another person after having been denied entry by the other person or that person's agent;
    (2) not having a contractual interest in the property, knowingly or intentionally refuses to leave the real property of another person after having been asked to leave by the other person or that person's agent;

commits criminal trespass, a Class A misdemeanor.

(b) A person has been denied entry under subdivision (a)(1) of this section when the person has been denied entry by means of:
    (1) personal communication, oral or written;
    (2) posting or exhibiting a notice at the main entrance in a manner that is either prescribed by law or likely to come to the attention of the public"

As to taking a handgun into Illinois, I will only say that most Illinois firearms-related crimes are felonies - so you're risking a lot by violating Illinois law - including your LTCH.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    detroit is my main concern. never been to chi, i cc everywhere i go but if it is a school i will leave it in the car also i leave it behind if there are metal detectors where i am going.

Marc,

You're in luck. MI recognizes the IN LTCH. AND they are an open carry state. Although I wouldn't advise OC in Detroit:D

For the OP. C'mon.Find another way to feel safe there. It isn't worth a felony.....
    There have been some threads with discussion on legal or less feloniuos ways to be safer in Chicago.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom