• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cp009

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 75%
    6   2   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    NWI
    Let me start off by saying I am very educated on the firearms laws and codes in Indiana, and hold a degree of Criminal Justice/Minor in Pre-law at only 20 years young (I graduated high school a year early, and was taking college courses as a junior).

Yes I am "younger" than most that exercise their right to carry in Indiana, but I recently came across a post in the classified section as I was looking for a G19 (as I can only purchase a handgun through a private sale due to the Federal law which is complete blasphemy).

In this private sale add the individual states that the buyer must be 21. Although, I respect everyone's entitlement to sell their firearms to whomever they like I did not like this person's response to my question of why they require the buyer to be 21 years of age. I quote "Age 18-21 is a time when a lot of growing up happens."

Granted sometimes this is true, but yet people feel the need to not give a fair chance to those who are "younger". There are responsible young gun owners and I would like to consider myself one of them as I have been carrying since I was 18.

So why do I see so much discrimination against young people that choose to exercise their right to purchase and carry a handgun? I also wouldn't mind seeing some opinions too about why there is discrimination against young individuals trying to insert themselves into so called "adult life".

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    you may have knowledge but you do not have wisdom. wisdom is only gained through experience. At only 20 years old you have not had much life experience.

the seller of the firearm has the right to sell to any proper person they wish. They also have the right to not sell that item as well. Regardless if you like his reason or not.

Also the fact that you had to start your post by saying your are educated proves lack of wisdom.

And, I will end with saying there are stereotypes for a reason. While they do not apply to all. they apply to enough of that particular group to exist.

Now you can go back to crying and moaning that you didn't get your way.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Don't take it personally, it's a free market and those who have the item makes the rules. If they don't want your money that's their problem, also there are plenty of G19s out there. I'm 22, there are those who don't think younger people have the capability to carry a firearm at that age but those people are few and far between here on INGO. I have dealt with members here that are a lot older than me and have recieved nothing but mutual respect. Throwing a fit about the way someone has listed their item isn't a way to make a point. Move on, look for another gun and enjoy the site.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Let me start off by saying I am very educated on the firearms laws and codes in Indiana, and hold a degree of Criminal Justice/Minor in Pre-law at only 20 years young (I graduated high school a year early, and was taking college courses as a junior).

Yes I am "younger" than most that exercise their right to carry in Indiana, but I recently came across a post in the classified section as I was looking for a G19 (as I can only purchase a handgun through a private sale due to the Federal law which is complete blasphemy).

In this private sale add the individual states that the buyer must be 21. Although, I respect everyone's entitlement to sell their firearms to whomever they like I did not like this person's response to my question of why they require the buyer to be 21 years of age. I quote "Age 18-21 is a time when a lot of growing up happens."

Granted sometimes this is true, but yet people feel the need to not give a fair chance to those who are "younger". There are responsible young gun owners and I would like to consider myself one of them as I have been carrying since I was 18.

So why do I see so much discrimination against young people that choose to exercise their right to purchase and carry a handgun? I also wouldn't mind seeing some opinions too about why there is discrimination against young individuals trying to insert themselves into so called "adult life".
    If that's your granny in the avatar then you've got my respect.;)

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Some of it may just be ignorance of the law in regard to legal age for a private sale. I know many people far beyond your age whom I would consider too immature to carry. I also know a couple of under 21s who, in my opinion, would be fine with that responsibility. Only the person putting that requirement on their ad knows the reason. I wouldn't necessarily paint everyone with the same brush, even though some of those people are doing that very thing.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Not to pile on, but there are gonna be bigger issues in life to worry about. A wise old guy once told me, there will always be another sale.

In a private sale, the seller can cancel a sale for any reason. I could cancel on you for wearing shoes I don't like. Just the way it is.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    please explain how the "young man" is throwing a fit?

He is publicly addressing an instance where he did not get his way. Keep in mind I'm 22. I don't get a lot of things but, don't complain about it. If he would have worded it in a different way he might have received better reply's.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    please explain how the "young man" is throwing a fit?

Let's see...he's venting (in the wrong forum) about (the lack of) a sale from the Classifieds that he didn't qualify for. Big whoop. The pile on is coming from what Westside said. Someone who's been around the block a few times would see the caveat, shrug, and move on to the next deal. Someone who's still a little hot blooded might fire off a rant in hopes of, well in hopes of what I don't know.

Not to pile on, but there are gonna be bigger issues in life to worry about. A wise old guy once told me, there will always be another sale.

In a private sale, the seller can cancel a sale for any reason. I could cancel on you for wearing shoes I don't like. Just the way it is.

Sam, it's not even that big. He didn't get to the swap only to have the seller back out. The seller specified in his ad that the buyer had to be 21.

I see nothing wrong with this. The seller can put whatever qualifications he wants into an ad.... "Buyer must arrive wearing a pink LA Raiders baseball cap".

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    You are going to get those who look down on you because you are younger. I'm 34 years old, and still have people who look down on me for being young. It's nothing new, and it won't get any easier. If they don't want to sell to you, then they don't have to. You know, free market and all. Just move on and find another gun somewhere else.

The fact is that at 20 years old, you don't have as much life experience as many others. That's not a criticism, just a fact. Many see that as a flaw, and don't want to feel responsible if/when you do something irresponsible with the gun that they sold you. They forget that they were young once, too. Personally, I encourage every 18 year old to get their LTCH, and learn the law. I support anyone who can legally carry.

After all, the State of Indiana has deemed you old enough to own/carry, and the US Government has deemed you old enough to go to war.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    While it is true that wisdom often comes with age, it's not always the case (ex. old fools), and youth is not always deprived of it (although it's rare).

I grew up and got serious at a young age, but I couldn't expect anyone who didn't know me to know that.

Keep watching the classifieds and you'll find someone who's willing to sell to you.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    uLu8r.jpg

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Some of it may just be ignorance of the law in regard to legal age for a private sale. I know many people far beyond your age whom I would consider too immature to carry. I also know a couple of under 21s who, in my opinion, would be fine with that responsibility. Only the person putting that requirement on their ad knows the reason. I wouldn't necessarily paint everyone with the same brush, even though some of those people are doing that very thing.

^^^^
    This

I can understand some of the points mentioned here in this thread but as in the above post, age does not bring wisdom.

And least we forget that just as I did you can join the military at age 17. So the country will allow you to fight and kill and perhaps even die for the country at age 17 but not allow you to do so many other things that are far less significant. Like drink alcohol. I wonder if the person that placed the ad would have denied a sale to a member of the armed forces that had a couple of combat tours under his belt but yet had not reached the magic age of 21. Food for thought gentlemen.

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I understand your sentiment being that age does not determine maturity or wisdom necessarily. I started shooting at age 5 and by age 10 was competing, maintaining my own firearms collection with full access, saved my money to pay for most of what I used/wanted. I remember attending the 1500 once and I wanted to check out a nice custom SxS shotgun and the vendor had a snippy attitude when I asked to look at it. I can't remember his comment/actions exactly, but I remember how rude and stereotypical it was even though I was a young teenager. It POed my mother off so much that she was about to whip out the check book right there to prove the point that "just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't know firearms/responsibility or can't afford it." I quickly urged her not to because I didn't think it was a good idea to give him what he wanted with such an attitude. He was of the mindset that because I was young or appeared a certain way I couldn't afford his guns.

Anyway, just take it and run. Obviously that sale wasn't meant to be and he didn't need your money that bad. Likewise, you can be patient and find a better deal elsewhere. No worries, no need to get your feathers ruffled.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    ^^^^
    This

I can understand some of the points mentioned here but as in the above post, age does not bring wisdom.

And least we forget that just as I did you can join the military at age 17. So the country will allow you to fight and kill and perhaps even die for the country at age 17 but not allow you to do so many other things that are far less significant. Like drink alcohol. I wounder if the person that placed the ad would have denied a sale to a member of the armed forces that had a couple of combat tours under his belt but yet had not reached the magic age of 21. Food for thought gentlemen.

It is crazy that you can't buy alcohol at 18. I never understood that. You can vote & join the military, but can't pop a cold one??? Crazy.

(And I'm not complaining, I'm 50 and don't drink.)

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You are proving my point exactly.

I would like to thank you.

Awesome...what was your point? If you want to buy a gun from someone that is asking for the buyer to be 21, and you're not 21, you could always contact them and make your case. The guy will say yes or no. Maybe you are setting the good example, but the bad apples out there have screwed it up for you in the minds of certain sellers. You just have to move on and find a different seller.

Top Bottom