• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am relatively new to carrying concealed and looking for advice. I carry a Shield 9mm in a N82 Tactical holster at 4 o'clock on my right side.

When getting into my car, I pull my weapon and place it in a holster mounted under my steering column so that I do not have to sit on it while I drive. However, my problem is getting it re-holstered in my CC holster when exiting the vehicle. It is difficult to holster the weapon without standing outside next to my truck. However, then I am visible to other people and they can see me holstering my gun. Since the point of CC is for people not to know you are carrying, having people watch me holster my gun does not sit right for me. Plus, I do not want people to freak out and think that I am getting ready to rob the place or something.

Thoughts? Advice?

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I re holster whilst sitting in my car. It is not easy, but I've learned to do it pretty smoothly. I bet you will be able to figure it out. You might want to practice without one in the chamber...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    JMHO, but carrying at 3:00 lets the gun stay in your carry holster all the time. It's also much easier to draw and keeps the gun from being pinned if you are pushed against a wall.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have the same problem sometimes when wearing the N82 holster since it will collapse without the gun. Get a kydex or hybrid IWB holster if you know you will be unholstering or getting in and out of the car a lot.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have the same problem sometimes when wearing the N82 holster since it will collapse without the gun. Get a kydex or hybrid IWB holster if you know you will be unholstering or getting in and out of the car a lot.

Oh yeah. I didn't realize that they made a "tacticool" holster that collapsed. You need kydex and/or a nice stuff leather.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    There has to be a safe way for you to reholster before exiting the vehicle. On long trips I put my EDC in a mounted holster in my car and put it back on my person before exiting. On short car rides I leave it in the holster.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    how to holster/unholster/reholster your EDC whilst getting in/out of your vehicle.

[video=youtube;2PHcRK8wp6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PHcRK8wp6U[/video]

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    There is no shame in people knowing you are armed. Do what you need to do and do not worry about being seen. That being said, it took me a long time to be that confidence. Believe it or not few will even notice.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have a N82 Pro (plastic instead of fabric) and that makes it a lot easier to reholster although I never upholster when in public as a safety rule (can't have an ND if it stays holstered). If I do need to disarm, I just unclip the whole thing and put it in my center console that locks.

Then I'll set it on my seat and stand with my back to the truck and make it look like I'm just adjusting my pants. The N82 Pro is pretty easy to shove back in my pants and clip in quickly. Most people won't care to figure out what you are doing anyway.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    There is no shame in people knowing you are armed. Do what you need to do and do not worry about being seen. That being said, it took me a long time to be that confidence. Believe it or not few will even notice.

Yup, I do what I can to avoid freaking people out but if they see me re-arming then it's no big deal. If people were really paying attention then I'm sure that the 10rd 1911 mag in my front pocket would get noticed, maybe I should just carry that front and center so they'll notice my "package" instead of my actual handgun;-)

02roadster

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Foxcliff, Morgan Co.
    I carry concealed always. Colt New Agent holstered, one in the pipe. I am a bit large and carry OWB, just have to get used to it IMO. Sometimes conceal in console, then pack it when I get out of the car. My holster is belted as a opposed to paddle. I have a paddle but prefer belted. Just be discreet when holstering.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Since the point of CC is for people not to know you are carrying, having people watch me holster my gun does not sit right for me.

Thoughts? Advice?

Trust me, people don't notice. How often do you focus on someone getting out of their car ? People are too absorbed in their own little email / cellphone / texting / Facebook lives to notice you.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I am relatively new to carrying concealed and looking for advice. I carry a Shield 9mm in a N82 Tactical holster at 4 o'clock on my right side .....
    It is difficult to holster the weapon without standing outside next to my truck.

I have the same issue with my N82 IWB for my Shield. Until I find a better alternative, which will probably be something in Kydex, I don't unholster the gun while driving. I have a IWB coming from Hooch for my 1911 compact. May order one for the Shield as soon as the Christmas bills are paid.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Great feedback....thanks.

I agree that I probably need to get a kydex IWB holster to make holstering my EDC easier when exiting my vehicle (already outfitted with tinted windows). That will be my next move.

As for carrying at 3 o'clock instead, I wear pretty form fitting clothes and carrying at 3 o'clock makes me print pretty badly.

As for worrying too much about people knowing I am carrying, as I said, I am relatively new to this and getting more and more used to carrying myself. I am sure my worrying about who knows will subside once carrying becomes more routine.

Thanks again for your feedback.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have the same issue with my N82 IWB for my Shield. Until I find a better alternative, which will probably be something in Kydex, I don't unholster the gun while driving. I have a IWB coming from Hooch for my 1911 compact. May order one for the Shield as soon as the Christmas bills are paid.

I would be curious how you like one made by Hooch. I have several OWB holsters by him, but I wonder how comfortable a full Kydex IWB would be.

I am considering a Shield and have been looking at N82, and a few other Hybrid styles.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I to do not unholster in a vehicle. I carry a G27 or a Shield .40 in a Galco King Tuk IWB holster at 4:00 with no issues. It has to be just right not to cause discomfort, an inch forward or back makes a difference. I also move the adjustments one screw hole lower than stock which allows the gun to tuck a little deeper.

Top Bottom