• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    For non emergency vehicles, do you have to pullover when you see them coming? Such As, a volunteer fire fighter. He gets called, and he's breaking the speed limit to arrive on time. Some have the blue bubble on their personal vehicle, others just have strobe lights. So, legally, do you have to pull over? Or would this just be a courteous act?

And legally, are they even able to speed?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Legally you must yield right of way for authorized emergency vehicles. It DOESN'T mean be unsafe about it, and it doesn't mean the driver of the emergency vehicle is exempt from operating in a safe manner. Volunteer Fire blue light on a private vehicle is a different matter, see bottom section.

IC 9-21-8-35
    Emergency vehicles; yield of right-of-way
    Sec. 35. (a) Upon the immediate approach of an authorized emergency vehicle, when the person who drives the authorized emergency vehicle is giving audible signal by siren or displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a person who drives another vehicle shall do the following unless otherwise directed by a law enforcement officer:
    (1) Yield the right-of-way.
    (2) Immediately drive to a position parallel to and as close as possible to the right-hand edge or curb of the highway clear of any intersection.
    (3) Stop and remain in the position until the authorized emergency vehicle has passed.
    (b) Upon approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, when the authorized emergency vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing red, red and white, or red and blue lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:
    (1) proceeding with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the authorized emergency vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not less than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle; or
    (2) proceeding with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle to a speed at least ten (10) miles per hour less than the posted speed limit, maintaining a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.
    (c) Upon approaching a stationary recovery vehicle, a stationary utility service vehicle (as defined in IC 8-1-8.3-5), or a stationary road, street, or highway maintenance vehicle, when the vehicle is giving a signal by displaying alternately flashing amber lights, a person who drives an approaching vehicle shall:
    (1) proceeding with due caution, yield the right-of-way by making a lane change into a lane not adjacent to that of the recovery vehicle, utility service vehicle, or road, street, or highway maintenance vehicle, if possible with due regard to safety and traffic conditions, if on a highway having at least four (4) lanes with not less than two (2) lanes proceeding in the same direction as the approaching vehicle; or
    (2) proceeding with due caution, reduce the speed of the vehicle to a speed at least ten (10) miles per hour less than the posted speed limit, maintaining a safe speed for road conditions, if changing lanes would be impossible or unsafe.
    (d) This section does not operate to relieve the person who drives an authorized emergency vehicle, a recovery vehicle, a utility service vehicle, or a road, street, or highway maintenance vehicle from the duty to operate the vehicle with due regard for the safety of all persons using the highway.

IC 36-8-12-11
    Blue lights on private vehicles; authorization; violations
    (f) This section does not grant a vehicle displaying blue lights the right-of-way under IC 9-21-8-35 or exemption from traffic rules under IC 9-21-1-8. A driver of a vehicle displaying a blue light shall obey all traffic rules.
    (g) This section shall not be construed to include a vehicle displaying a blue light and driven by a member of a volunteer fire department as an authorized emergency vehicle (as defined in IC 9-13-2-6).
    As added by Acts 1981, P.L.309, SEC.64. Amended by P.L.88-1990, SEC.4; P.L.2-1991, SEC.108; P.L.99-1991, SEC.4; P.L.1-1999, SEC.96; P.L.6-2001, SEC.1; P.L.153-2002, SEC.2.
    <A name=IC36-8-12-12>IC 36-8-12-12

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    shibumiseeker I think he is talking about volunteer which is not deemed emergency vehicle to my knowledge. Correct me if Im wrong.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Add to the info. above your answer to this question...

Is where you are going more important than the situation the non-emergency volunteer may be responding to?

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Add to the info. above your answer to this question...

Is where you are going more important than the situation the non-emergency volunteer may be responding to?

Did I say that I wouldn't stop? NOPE
    Did I say that wherever I was going was more important than where they are going? Nope

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Don't believe you have to pull over for them.

I still do, though, for two reasons. One, if they are running it means they may well be trying to save someone's home. Two, more than a few of them turn on their little blue bubble, and seemingly go insane. I'm getting out of their way LOL.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Man...the other night... whopper...

It was about 12:20 Sunday AM this past weekend. Wife and I were on our way home (Greenwood) down US 31 S from 465.

Right around Southport Rd, I could kind of see some amber flashing lights in my rearview; still a ways back. All of a sudden, in the L lane (I'm in the middle) comes this flatbed tow-truck just FLYING. He's got some goofy faux siren playing from a PA system (barely audible over just the road noise and the engine of that truck)

Ol' boy has to SLAM on his brakes at Southport Rd.

He then proceeds to BLOW through the next light south (Walmart), after getting on the loud pedal, jack-rabbit style, from Southport Rd.

Guy is weaving all over the 3 lanes getting around folks who are only going 45mph...

All to get to a book & hook at Steak & Shake just a few more lights further south.

THAT guy is a farking idiot driving like that. Don't care if it was a 600lb motorcycle or a 10000lb flatbed tow truck.

It was my self-preservation factor that kept me out of his way...not any regard for "Oh, this is an emergency vehicle". It was a TOW TRUCK.

[/hijack]

-J-

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    no you dont have to pull over.
    no they cant speed

Edit: normally I would be courteous and let them through though

He is right. You would be surprised at how many times these guys get tickets for doing this....They know better than to speed and run the lights as it is part of their volunteer training.

But like everyone has already said. Might as well be courteous and assume they are on their way to help assist in saving lives.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I had some volunteer fireman, aka truck washer, pass a car on a blind double yellow corner and actually pushed me into the ditch. I saw his car at the firehouse later and thought about stopping, but figured I would end up in jail somehow.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    it might be their time and their gas their giving, but a lot of them would fail in every other aspect in life, so the chance to get a title and a siren, gets them hard. same thing with some cops. a CLOSE family member became a cop because he had tuff guy syndrom his whole life and wanted revenge on the world, then he started hitting a CLOSER family member of mine and made the mistake of doing it in front of me, so i busted some ass. he got fired eventualy, and rightly so.

point being, that as long as they are obeying the laws i will yeild. if they (blue lights) fly up on my ass going 60 in a 30, then i will make sure they dont get around me until another lane opens up. i get tired too of seeing police cars fly past me on the interstate going 80 in a 50. just last night i personaly witnessed 4 doing it. if you are on a run and need to speed, turn on your damn lights at least on the interstate.

edit: please dont think i dont have respect for the EMS community, because i have strong respect especialy since my wife worked on a ambulance. but I also knew a lot of the losers she worked with.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    it might be their time and their gas their giving, but a lot of them would fail in every other aspect in life, so the chance to get a title and a siren, gets them hard.

Where I am from we have roughly 16 Volunteer Firemen/EMS on our local Department. We are allotted 24 Members, plus most anyone on here makes more than what are annual budget is. We cover about 50 Square Miles of Terrain, and live all over the coverage area. I can guarantee for a fact that no one on my local Department joined for the Title or the Siren (which is not allowed for a volunteer to use on a private vehicle;)). We cover 2 Major State Roads that have moderate to Heavy traffic across them.

We speed, We try to be courteous. But time counts especially when everyone else on the Department is at their Job and you just have 2-3 People to get the Equipment to the Problem.

All for a couple hundred dollars a year...
    Sometimes it ain't about the Money or the Authority. Sometimes it is just because it is a job that needs done and there is no one else to do it...

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If one is so reckless to drive as such, then you and your automobile will likely only serve to cause such individuals to drive in a more reckless and desperate manner.

It would be better to allow them to pass, and take the appropriate action of reporting those committing such acts. Succumbing to such vindictive emotion, would also has the collateral effect of delaying help for such examples as a person trapped in a house fire, a child choking, or a bus of senior citizens flipped over in a water filled ditch.

Emergent displays are not always appropriate for LE.

i dont take to vindictive emotion. im just driving. they can figure it out. what are they gonna do? pit me?

now to the police:
    If an emergent display isnt appropriate then they dont need to speed. thats the law! even for them.
    dont try to BS me JBusch, you know as well as i do that its abused more than not. if it wasnt then there would be no way that i EVERY SINGLE TIME i EVER drive on the highway i have at least 2 cops fly past me with no lights on.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Where I am from we have roughly 16 Volunteer Firemen/EMS on our local Department. We are allotted 24 Members, plus most anyone on here makes more than what are annual budget is. We cover about 50 Square Miles of Terrain, and live all over the coverage area. I can guarantee for a fact that no one on my local Department joined for the Title or the Siren (which is not allowed for a volunteer to use on a private vehicle;)). We cover 2 Major State Roads that have moderate to Heavy traffic across them.

We speed, We try to be courteous. But time counts especially when everyone else on the Department is at their Job and you just have 2-3 People to get the Equipment to the Problem.

All for a couple hundred dollars a year...
    Sometimes it ain't about the Money or the Authority. Sometimes it is just because it is a job that needs done and there is no one else to do it...

i agree, that the majority probly dont abuse it or do it for the wrong reasons. i grew up in a rural community, and i knew a lot of the good ones. and seen some of the ass hats.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    :drama:

Yeah, that's exactly why. :rolleyes:

Such holding true, the same types of characterization could be said of every individual involved in every altruistic act, duty, position, or responsibility. After all, Mother Theresa got into her profession for just the prestige...not.

the same could be said of some in the military too. i know i know. we all knew "those guys".

mother theresa :laugh:

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    Wow...I'm a little disturbed towards some of the viewpoints expressed towards volunteer firefighters here...

I'm from a rural area, we only have volunteer departments. Did you know that most volunteers undergo more training than paid career firefighters? If they come up behind me, I yield the right of way. No, you aren't required to, and they are required to follow all traffic laws while operating under the blue light.

They're also trying to get to an emergency scene or to their station to get equipment, and someone's property, and more importantly, possibly someone's life, is waiting on them. To say that you won't pull over because they're speeding is a big :noway: in my book; it's not your responsiblility to hinder them; they're taking whatever risks they have chosen, and are speeding in an effort to get to someone who needs help quickly. As they say, in a life or death situation, seconds count.

If they're being wreckless, get out of the way; get the vehicle description, and call it into the department; I guarantee you the chief will handle it and it will be addressed. Most departments have strict guidelines in place (in addition to the state laws) about behavior and driving while running the blue light, and most volunteers act responsibly regardless.

Just my :twocents:

Top Bottom