The dumbest thing I have ever done thread.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    This is a child of another thread which went off topic.

Lets hear about the dumbest thing YOU have ever done in your life. There may be one, there may be many. Safety is of no issue, because the lack of is usually the driver for the dumb action.

:popcorn:

I'll start.

Over 25 years ago my neighbor and I swiped every bit of black powder from our dads stashes and filled up a gallon milk jug with it. We commenced to tear all the fuses from a pack of firecrackers, tie them together and stick it in the top of the gunpowder. We buried that jug about halfway into the front yard, lit the fuse and ran like hell.

The result could not have been predicted.

We blew a hole about 6 feet around and 3 feet deep in the yard, and it made a mushroom cloud that would make the military proud.

Yup, you guessed it. We got whupped. Also had to pay for the black powder we used. I think I split wood the rest of the summer and fall for free for that shenanigan

If we only had video cameras and YouTube back then.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Dumbest thing? I said the "F" word to my mother and lit up a cigarette.
    A regrettable occurrence, to say the least...

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Cowboy Action Shooting (Im not cowboy material )I'm not trying to offend anyone involved in this sport but this was not my cup of tea & felt very much out of place at these events

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Attempting to 'drift' an F-250 through a left hand turn in a busy intersection...

I attempted something similar once.

Was driving a COMPANY VEHICLE. An F350 single-cab dually with a fully loaded service body on the back. 7.3L Powerstroke. Every single compartment was chock full of heavy stuff. There was also a water tank in the back that filled the entire floor of the bed...but that was empty. Relatively high GVW.

I was on an officially sanctioned errand, on a very snowy day (like today!). I wanted to park the beast.

I thought to myself: "Self, this would be kind of fun to maybe do a little doughnut in."

It WAS fun until I almost hit another vehicle before I stopped spinning on my ONE revolution.

Thankfully, I didn't hit anything. And my job was spared. But it was still DUMB! :D

-J-

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Moved back to the Midwest from Arizona.

Days like this our 'Bravo Snow Storm' day, as mayor Ballard has named it, brings back some great thoughts of the Southwest.

TK

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    When I was 9 and my brother was 7, we killed a 3 1/2 foot timber rattler and brought it home to show mom, (dad was at work). She went through the ceiling. Mucho grounding ensued.

When I was older, there was an incident with an aerosol can, the application of heat, an explosion, and the lighting off a barn roof on fire as a result.

Joe

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Cannot pic as there are too many good examples, but I will go with this one:

Set my leg on fire while testing liquid fuels to boost a shoulder fired rocket launcher I had built with my dad. He knew about the launcher, but had NO IDEA about the alternate fuels and "warheads" I had planned (estes rockets were too "boring"). I got the fire on my leg out, then the rest of the basement out too, and hid all the evidence.

House smelled like burnt human for a few days and hair still does not grow on that part of my leg very well. Dad did eventually find the "alternate" plans and the project was "cancelled" for supposed "safety and legal" reasons.

It is rough being 13 and stupid.

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    It is rough being 13 and stupid.

Sounds more like you were '13 and bright!' It takes an intelligent and creative kid to think about warheads and alternate liquid propellants! :D

It's the clever kids who think up some outlandish 'experiments.'

I recall making contact explosives as a kid. Perhaps that was the beginning of a career as a chemical engineer!

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Attempting to 'drift' an F-250 through a left hand turn in a busy intersection...

That's kinda funny, I did that in my focus one time when a light was turning yellow as I was getting there and was on snow and ice so could now stop. But with practicing it other times was able to put it right in my lane and be going straight by that time. :D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    DSC03582.jpg

44 mag rifle, cold hands, pointed in bad direction. Large hole in astro van post.

Not a proud day and my only AD ever.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Mine are too embarrassing, but I'll share my cousin's dumbheit:

While dear hunting in Northern MI, he was heading to or from his blind and saw this spectacular eight point not too far from where he enters the trail to get to his blind.

So he raised his .30-06 and squeezed the trigger. He couldn't believe it still stood there looking at him!! So he shot it again. And again. Until he was out of ammo.

Then two cammo'd DNR guys walked up behind him and asked why he was trying to destroy their decoy. It was to catch people shooting from a nearby road. But they took him and his rifle home to his dad's house and lectured him good. But no fine and he got his rifle back;)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Mine are too embarrassing, but I'll share my cousin's dumbheit:

While dear hunting in Northern MI, he was heading to or from his blind and saw this spectacular eight point not too far from where he enters the trail to get to his blind.

So he raised his .30-06 and squeezed the trigger. He couldn't believe it still stood there looking at him!! So he shot it again. And again. Until he was out of ammo.

Then two cammo'd DNR guys walked up behind him and asked why he was trying to destroy their decoy. It was to catch people shooting from a nearby road. But they took him and his rifle home to his dad's house and lectured him good. But no fine and he got his rifle back;)

I heard about a guy here in IN shooting at one of their decoys like that from the road. He had been driving along, saw it, stopped and grabbed his shotgun and took the shot. It didn't go down so he shot again. Then the DNR caught him. They ended up fining him and taking the gun, but said his shots were the best of anyone who had tried it so far. :):

I was told about this from a guy I used to work with. I guess it was someone he knows.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Dumbest thing I ever did was one time I posted something dumb I'd done on the internet.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I was 14 and changed gears in my go-kart for faster top speed. Across the road there was an open field that led to a creek and woods. Well there was a nice little natural ramp set up about 3' high that went right off the edge of the steep 15' cliff leading to the creek. So being Evil Knievel I though I could jump it and the stop before the creek.... I rolled that go-kart multiple times and ended up in a 6" deep creek. I had to weld the roll cage back on my go kart and straighten the front tires back. My mother wasn't impressed but, my dad and I were. :D

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    When I was about 16, I smarted off to my dad. He said "You think you can take me don't you?" And, knowing full well that he had been a successful heavyweight Golden Gloves competitor, I said "Sure I do!" The rest is ugly

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Dang... I don't have any stories nearly as good as y'all's. :( Blowing craters in the lawn, building rockets, jumping go-karts? Sounds fun to me!

Best I have is, when I was about 6 or 7 I found my grandpa's old BB gun in our garage shortly after he moved in with us. It looked EXACTLY like the toy gun my friend down the street had, so I started playing around with it. We were not a gun-owning family, and I'd never been educated about them. Luckily, all I shot was the house across the street before I realized it wasn't a toy gun.

EDIT - yay this was my 200th post! Movin' up.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom