• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Ive been looking at motorcycles for this year even though I promised myself I wouldn't waste my money and time this year. I have my license and I just can't seem to get away from them.
    Cost too much money compared to the enjoyment you get out of them
    One more thing to get plated and pay insurance for
    The weekend comes around you're looking forward to riding and guess what-its raining :xmad:
    Better stuff to spend money on.
    My friends all have motorcycles and motorcycles are cool HOWEVER I just can't help but think that they are OVER RATED. Maybe its just not in my blood or maybe Im about to get flamed :D Thanks for reading my thoughts

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'd really like to get another one but it will have to be several more years down the road. I can't justify the cost. Almost tempted to just get a Sportster or a cheaper Dyna series in the future. I may also forget about that and stick to quads or dirt bikes. I don't like sharing the roads too much when I'm in my truck since most people are doing 10 different things while driving.

billyboyr6

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    greenfield
    I want another sport bike so bad I cannot stand it. I rode one for 3 years before the other half and I had a baby. I put 18,000 mi on it in 3 years. That's more then most people drive their cars lol. I just have not been finantially stable enough to buy another one yet. It's been almost 6 years now and with spring coming, it's killing me. To say the least, about the OP, I'd say you just haven't rode the right bike down the right road yet to make it part of your blood. :D

gohard43

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2010
    Northside Indy
    I will probably always own one. Some can justify it, some can't.....really just a personal opinion.....a lot similar to owning a bunch of really expensive guns and rarely shooting them ;)

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Ive been looking at motorcycles for this year even though I promised myself I wouldn't waste my money and time this year. I have my license and I just can't seem to get away from them.
    The weekend comes around you're looking forward to riding and guess what-its raining :xmad:
    My friends all have motorcycles and motorcycles are cool HOWEVER I just can't help but think that they are OVER RATED. Maybe its just not in my blood or maybe Im about to get flamed :D Thanks for reading my thoughts
    Sounds to me like you really don't want a mortorcycle.
    They're not for everyone. I love my street glide. I ride every chance I get still not nearly as much as is like to. I wish I was on it now on my way to Daytona bike week!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    They are just to dangerous to drive in the city, all of my friends that ride one have had accidents

Everyone that I've ever met that has ridden a lot of miles over a good portion of their lives (quite a few 1% club members, Goldwing lazy boy types, and guys into sport bikes) have always told me that it isn't if you go down...it is when and what you learn from it. I've known some iron butt guys that have done over 100,000 miles on Goldwings and various Harleys. One thing in common, they've all went down. Most have been lucky enough to have it be a slower speed, fairly controlled impact.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I <3 bikes.

As far as enjoyment goes, I've yet to find anything that surpasses moments like this:

IMG_5785.jpg

FWIW, that bike wasn't plated, insured, never saw city traffic, and sure as heck got ridden in the rain. Motorcycle racing doesn't cancel for rain! (unlike some wimps :D )

They ain't for everyone, but my personal heaven is a bike and a racetrack.

Puttering around town or droning out miles on the superslab, I can live without though.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I had a Sportster 1200 Custom for years. I loved that thing. And with the loud Vance Hines racing pipes, everyone else hated it :D

I rode all the time. But after awhile, it got old. I started only riding on weekends. After that every other weekend. It got to where I hardly ever rode it.

So I ended up selling it, and used the money to pay it off, buy stuff for my Jeep and the 4-wheeler I had at the time, and bought my girl a ring. (now married)

Now, today, there are times when I'd love to have another bike. I do miss it. They are a great weekend toy. But, they can get a bit boring if you're alone, or unable to talk to your passenger. (Unless you invest into the radio helmets)

I have no idea if I'll ever get another one. Just because I have more fun dropping the doors and top on the Jeep. I think I'd rather have a dirt bike anyway.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012

60 miles per gallon at $3.50+ a gallon this summer, having one to commute back and forth to work is most definitely cost effective as I can ride my bike 3 times as far as my truck for the same amount of gas. (even though bikes do cost a little more to maintain then a car... )

I own 2 motorcycles....
    A 2009 Suzuki GS500 with full coverage and a 2006 Ninja 250 with partial coverage and insurance is pretty cheap.

BTW... if anyone is looking for a good entry level motorcycle, I am selling the Ninja 250 for a good price. The bike is in excellent condition, has been properly maintained and has less than 6000 miles on it. I bought it for my fiance to ride, but apparently she prefers being a passenger more than a driver (lame.. but whatever). But runs great and has no problem hauling a medium sized person anywhere they want to go. I weigh 195lbs and have had it up to 85mph+ and it seemed to still have plenty of pull if I wanted to go any faster.

hit me up for a good deal and I can drum up some photos.... cash or maybe even a trade if you got something interesting. I can't ride'em both :):

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    There are three forums that I look at every day. Two of them are bike forums and one is INGO. If I could find a legal sport that combined riding and shooting I would be very happy.

To the OP - you obviously don't want a bike. Just forget about it and do something you enjoy more. No big deal. Life's too short to do what other people think is cool.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Maybe the OP really wants a bike, but is trying to talk himself out of it. :dunno:
    Every single time that I've been w/o a bike, i've wished i had one! I'm fine until i see one, then that old lust/longing rears its ugly head. I don't ride near as much as i used to, and almost feel like i could give it up. but when i do ride, it's always more fun than i remembered. i would hate to not have mine, and hubby still have his...i don't like being a passenger on a bike, just not comfortable. we used to take lots of vacations/camping trips on our bikes, but the last few times have not been so fun. i'm not into the bike rally thing anymore, drunk people get on my nerves, and then i become one of them! i don't like riding the busy interstates anymore, and i used to not mind at all...now, anxiety/panic kicks in when i'm surrounded by fast-moving vehicles. i just like going for a good ride, nothing more. maybe one of these days we'll take a big trip again, but i'm going to insist on taking the less-traveled route!

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I'd really like to get another one but it will have to be several more years down the road. I can't justify the cost. Almost tempted to just get a Sportster or a cheaper Dyna series in the future. I may also forget about that and stick to quads or dirt bikes. I don't like sharing the roads too much when I'm in my truck since most people are doing 10 different things while driving.

I have a 1999 Dyna Super Glide. If you have the choice get the Super Glide. It sits a couple inches lower. I've had both and this one is a keeper.

Outlaw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 1, 2011
    Cornfield east of Indy
    I think I'm gonna strap down this year and get a 400 or higher used enduro. My thinking is ill get more use out of it than a streetbike or a Harley. I've figured out I can get one for about 2k or less. Plus it'll make one hell of a bug out vehicle too:rockwoot:

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I've owned a couple bikes and I had fun with both of them. After a while though, it just started feeling like something I shouldn't be doing especially when I was on a busy interstate. I decided to build the contraption you see below instead. It still costs next to nothing to fuel or insure and I can drive it on or off road. Although it is still a good weather vehicle for the most part.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    With the exception of two years, I have had street bikes continuously since 1972. I have wadded up three of them, that last was 2004 and I took 4 months to heal from that. I traditionally have not been a "cruiser". All my bikes since 1980 have been 90 hp or higher, and I like to exercise the ponies. I traditionally spend a lot of time on them. I have owned 25 or so bikes and rode over 250,000 miles on the last three. Two of my bikes I put about 100,000 miles on and the people who I sold them to are still using them. I made at least 12 one thousand mile days per year when I lived in Texas and my kids and grandkids were here, 1050 miles from my Texas residence. (If you drive straight through you do not have motel expense). In Texas you can ride about 50 weeks a year, in Indiana we are lucky to see 1/2 of that.

Are they dangerous? I guess so.

I commuted from the south side ot Chicago to the north side up the triState express way for about 7 years. Every morning on my way in, someone in a car died on Chicago express ways. Every evening, someone in a car died on Chicago express ways. I do not commute into Indy, but from the radio, it sounds like Indianapolis express ways are just as dangerous. Yet we still go to work every day.

If you can afford a bike and want one, get it. If you do not want one, or cannot afford one, you do not need to apologize to anyone.
    Legislatively, motorcycles are not attacked as much as firearms, but they are attacked, and the motorcycle community has to fight to keep fair rights. Even if you choose not to have one in your life right now, be willing to support the rights of those who want to exercise the freedoms. It is very seldom that you meet a motorcycle rider who does not support the 2nd Amendment.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Full coverage on my bike is less than 1/2 the cost on my truck. So insurance isn't too bad. I can ride it about 9 months or more out of the year.....that includes removing rain and snow days. And I love the 32MPG plus I get with it. :)

And I have been known to ride in January.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Pssh.

I bought a 87 Kawasaki 454 for $700 bucks, stripped it down, fabbed up some straight bars, spray painted it with engine paint, blacked it out, and ratbiked that sucker every day to work for 2 years.

45 MPG, fun, and for $700 bucks... I got my moneys out of it.

It doesnt HAVE to be about tons of cash, 200 mph, or shiney Harleys.

Sometimes, its just about getting to work and back.

LeeStreet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    South of Steuben Co.
    I don't think it's in your blood. I've owned many bikes over the 44 years that I've been riding, & can't bring myself to sell my Gold Wing & be done riding. It's paid for, insurance is about $ 200. & the plates are cheap.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    If you like to ride, it's worth it.

Get a bike you can pay cash for. Financing vehicles is not smart, financing secondary "toy" vehicles is dumb. I ride to work every day I can. I run as many of my "errands" on my bike as possible during the summer. I meet friends who have bikes and we ride to places to eat etc... I go to vintage bike night at the Steer In on the first Thursday of each month. I like to see the old bikes people have / still ride / restore. I take trips or weekend getaways on my motorcycle. My wife and I will enjoy a weeknight trip to the Mug & Bun for dinner.
    It's a part of my life and I would miss it very much.

There are times in the summer my truck sits in my driveway for 5-6 days in a row, because I'm on my bike. That's a gas / wear & tear savings. Insurance is $300 a year, plates are based on value, so you can control that.

Sometimes riding a motorcycle is extra work/preparation, but to me it is worth it. I enjoy it.

If you really like it it's worth the time / effort / money. If you don't, you don't.

You could say that about anything really... off road trucks, jeeps, NASCAR... even guns.
    You either enjoy it enough to justify the cost / effort / time or you don't.
    I wouldn't waste the time or money going to or watching NASCAR but thousands of people do every year, because they like it.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom