• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Prayers sent for a full and speedy recovery. Looks like there is a good chance his actions saved someone else from the same or worse fate.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009

Thanks Frank, I figured he was in uniform but as usual the media in this town fails to tell the whole story.

I wish the media would point out he was in uniform so maybe some of the sheep would realize that even with a LEO around you are still not safe:dunno:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    So...quoting from the story...

"There was an enormous amount of officers responding which is very typical when any one of our own is in need. They got here as quickly as possible, there's a lot of camaraderie that draws all law enforcement together as a family," said Sargent Paul Thompson.
    Does that mean they don't value other citizen's lives as much as their own?:dunno:

That being the case...if you ever want officers to respond to your location like they SHOULD, you must let the 911 operator know there is an officer down.;)

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

"There was an enormous amount of officers responding which is very typical when any one of our own is in need. They got here as quickly as possible, there's a lot of camaraderie that draws all law enforcement together as a family," said Sargent Paul Thompson.
    Does that mean they don't value other citizen's lives as much as their own?:dunno:

That being the case...if you ever want officers to respond to your location like they SHOULD, you must let the 911 operator know there is an officer down.;)

If you have to ask...

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Glad to hear he's doing fine, I was a bit worried when we got to him. Sat night will be one of the most memorable shifts ever turned, had two other somewhat high profile runs that evening also.

Last edited by a moderator:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

Once again someone can't read a story about something having to do with law enforcement without having something negative to say. How about recognizing that he was out doing his job and took a bullet because of it instead of nitpicking that there were a lot of officers onscene to help the one that was shot.

I can't speak for every officer, but I can say that the majority of us do value the lives of other citizens just as much as we value or own. If you don't believe me, maybe you should ask the woman that I kept from getting her head chopped off with a machete, or the guy that I grabbed before he could jump off of a bridge onto I-70. If I really didn't give two ****s about the "average citizen" I would have stood around and waited until they were dead so that I could take the report and go about my business.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Once again someone can't read a story about something having to do with law enforcement without having something negative to say. How about recognizing that he was out doing his job and took a bullet because of it instead of nitpicking that there were a lot of officers onscene to help the one that was shot.

I can't speak for every officer, but I can say that the majority of us do value the lives of other citizens just as much as we value or own. If you don't believe me, maybe you should ask the woman that I kept from getting her head chopped off with a machete, or the guy that I grabbed before he could jump off of a bridge onto I-70. If I really didn't give two ****s about the "average citizen" I would have stood around and waited until they were dead so that I could take the report and go about my business.

I'm not saying that all LEO are this way...but when you have a Sargent that says...

Why isn't this typical when anyone else calls 911?:dunno:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    How does his insurance work? Does it cover him while working "off duty" if not I imagine a bullet wound is going to be pretty expensive. Hope he does recover fully.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not saying that all LEO are this way...but when you have a Sargent that says...

Who said it isn't?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN

How do you know it isn't? How quickly and how many officers respond is completely dependent on the type and circumstances of the call. Have you ever gone on a ride-along or been present on the scene of a high profile incident? Based on your attitude I highly doubt it.

If you want to question how LE agencies do things, take it to another thread. Don't soil this one because you are disgruntled by a quote in the media.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    How does his insurance work? Does it cover him while working "off duty" if not I imagine a bullet wound is going to be pretty expensive. Hope he does recover fully.

Had he been on-duty working hs normal assignment he would be covered by workman's comp. Since he was off-duty and working for a private company his health insurance will still cover him, but it will come out of his pocket instead of the city's.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    This is spinning a bit out of control, I can honestly say that every shooting I have been on downtown, actually everywhere in Marion Co., by the time I have arrived on scene there was an overwhelming amount of LEO presents. City Block perimeters have been set up, the scene barricaded, and several officers with the pt and or witnesses. Some might call this a waste of tax payer money, I would have if not involved directly with the scene. But this is the way criminals get caught, and further escalation of the scene is controlled. And probably several other aspects of LEO work that I don't understand.

The only difference btwn most shootings and the officers was that every intersection was held for the ambulance to travel through from scene to Wishard. I blame no one, he is a public safety officer and I will allow him a bit more of "perks" than the avg joe gets, IMO.

Top Bottom