• ...and so much more!
  • nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Storm Short Wart. I've had this lure for 35-40 years. It's caught largemouth, smallmouth, spotted bass, crappie, walleye, sauger, and a catfish. about 10 years ago I tried to order a replacement, and found out they were discontinued. :xmad: saw one on ebay for $40, pass. I have a couple other short warts in other colors. not to mention, there are plenty of similar lures. It got to where I was afraid to throw it for fear of losing it. so I retired it and hung it on the wall.

20240902_111444w.jpg

20240902_111800w.jpg

anyone else have a 'special' lure?

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    My "special" lure got me married to my wife!

I lose too many lures to have kept any for a period of time. That's awesome that you can look at a lure and think of all those fish!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    DUDE!!!!

We've used a larger, probably 5" blue and silver deep diving version of that lure up in Canada for years! We all call them "the magic bait" lol and when someone loses one up there we mourn for it and toast it's service. :lmfao:

I've likely logged a dozen hours over the years looking through FB marketplace, craigslist and ebay listings looking for more of those magic baits. I don't know what it is about them but they work.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    DUDE!!!!

We've used a larger, probably 5" blue and silver deep diving version of that lure up in Canada for years! We all call them "the magic bait" lol and when someone loses one up there we mourn for it and toast it's service. :lmfao:

I've likely logged a dozen hours over the years looking through FB marketplace, craigslist and ebay listings looking for more of those magic baits. I don't know what it is about them but they work.

one of the other versions I have is silver and blue. maybe I need to start using it. ;)

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My go to when fishing farm ponds or other shallow water is a Kelly's Striper in red/white when the sun is bright, purple and white during low light or wine and white when it is overcast.

I always had more luck with the Thinfin than any of the Wiggle Wart variations.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I seem to lose lures before they can become my favorite. Red and White spoon has worked.

BTW. I am told that in Colorado and a couple other places, you cannot use real worms and you cannot use barbed hooks. What is that all about?

Zjhagens

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Like INP8triot, I lose them way too quickly to have any specific lure that’s been with me for all that long if it’s something I use a lot.

But I love top water fishing more than anything, and my favorites for that are a hula popper when it’s really calm, or a whopper plopped when it’s less calm or the there’s a current.

The good ol Texas rigged senko is hard to beat for fishing the bottom.

But my favorite lure at any given time is whatever I caught my last fish on ;)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When I was a kid, my nextdoor neighbor used to talk about surface fishing in the strip pits out near Brazil with a Neal Spinner. Torpedo shaped with "propellers" on the front and back. When we went up to Canada and fished this little lake that we had to traverse two lakes to get to called Salo Lake (Yes, Salo, not Solo). It was filled with pretty much nothing but smallmouth bass.

There was a canoe stashed at the third lake. My dad, my nextdoor friend and Dad fished it for the first time. Dad was old school and just trailed a nightcrawler on a hook out the back of the canoe. Billy (my friend) used the Neal spinners. We were tearing them up (literally a strike, if not a catch on every cast), while Dad was only catching one intermittently.

1725665990386.png

Now I pretty much have become my dad and mostly still fish with live bait. :):

But, my main reason for posting is because the "Neal" company has a Hoosier history!

Neal spinner:

1725665675327.png

Oh, and btw, this is Billy now...

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I got rid of my bass boat in 2012 when momma wanted shade. We bought a pontoon, and I quit fishing. I used my my fishing money to start buying guns, and joined INGO.

I’d still fish occasionally, but basically quit.
    I moved to Texas in 2020, and started working at a little company in 2022, in the small town I live in. They have an annual bass tournament.

We fish 4 times at three different private ponds, from the bank. No boats allowed, but most guys wear waders.
    The largest pond is about 55 acres. It was designed solely for producing trophy bass. They have 3 little ponds adjacent to that they raise tilapia to feed the bass. We fish this one twice every year, and have the fish fry there. (Bonus fishing)

Long story short, I won big bass at two of the four events fishing a 4” Senko.
    It’s been my go to bait for 20 years.

DCR

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    I've caught more fish on an SPRO 3/8 oz White Bucktail than anything else except fresh shrimp. Here's what one looks like after ~40 Whiting in ~45 minutes.
    1725673878612.jpeg

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Live Gobi.

We fish off the North dock on Pelee Island Canada. (extreme western lake Erie. Its the southernmost inhabited point in Canada) That area is overrun with Gobi. Yes, that same fish your kid has in his fish tank. They were brought over from Europe in freighter ballast tanks and are an invasive species.

We run 2 way spinner rigs with a nightcrawler. Its a snell with beads and a small spoon. We will load up a nightcrawler and start running the rig slowly. That tends to snag a gobi thats maybe 4" long. We will reset the hook and and start casting the gobi out as a lure.

After a few casts we tend to get Drum and small walleye that will latch onto it.

Top Bottom