• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Walkersdlx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Evansville
    I'll eat my pets if shtf happens haha. j/k I have some food stored back for my dogs. Their boxers and eat one 60 pound pound bag every 30days. Anyways, i have six, 60 pound bags for the dogs.

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    If you have a dog and expect it to work well with you, you should be able to control it with both verbal or hand command. Of the 1000 or so dogs that go by our home, ours is the only one that I have seen that can be kept in check when off a leash. The rest are just a liability.

My dog is definitely in the liability category. The woman has babied it so much my boxer/pitt/hound(?) mix is just a big baby. :laugh:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have 3 dogs at my house. I lab/Pit mix that is a good watch dog, but tends to be more of a Wal-Mart greeter as far as disposition is concerned. I also have a GSD ***** that is trained as a Protection Dog. And of Coarse there is Beau the young one of the pack. He is completely trained in Obedience and starting to learn the Protection now. He really likes to bite Decoys that he does not know, ones that he knows it is more like playing rough with him... After we get him though Protection I am thinking of starting him on Tracking...

By the way I feel sorry for anyone that thinks Pepper Spray or Mace will make my Dogs run and hide, well actually no I don't feel sorry for them...

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Being able to support a pet, is the luxury of the rich.

Better plan on being "SHTF rich" or else you are going to have to choose between food going into your kids mouth, or into your dogs.

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    If you have to ask then you must not know and if you don't know then you don't currently own a working animal.

The best place for you to start is to get the wildest ass kitten you can find and turn her into a working cat killing rodents on your property. When SHTF, rodent populations will explode the first year and they spread diseases, damage your food stores and your gardens.

If you have a dog and expect it to work well with you, you should be able to control it with both verbal or hand command. Of the 1000 or so dogs that go by our home, ours is the only one that I have seen that can be kept in check when off a leash. The rest are just a liability. Our dog will eat anything given it excpet zucchini and after 10 years she even started eating that last year. She is easy to feed. She will also eat the mice and birds the cat kills if I let her. She can also catch her own. A dog is easy to maintain.

Fleas and ticks are the thing you should store meds/chemicals for use in controlling to help keep the animals healthy and your home clean.

I asked to form discussion on it to see what others thoughts are. My dog will go with...She has her own stockpile of food and could get her own if needed as well. Again all dependant on what the SHTF scenario is. If it required alot of stealth or "hiding" she might make things worse. But either way I will find a way to bring her.

radar44

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    noblesville
    My big dog serves as a early warning system , and he will eat anything .

Sooo , I will serve him ....dinner.:)

It doesn't hurt to keep a few months of dog food around , so we do .

After that , he is a good enough hunter that he will probably be feeding us!

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Depends on how bad it gets. If we're talking extended blackout or Katrina scenario, I'll stick it out with him. If it becomes the Book of Eli or Dawn of the Dead, I might have to let him loose, the food requirements might be too much and his barking could get me killed. The cat can stick around either way, he doesn't eat much or make much noise.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    My cats come with me, no question about it. I've got a couple reasons for this:
    1) My kids love them and would be heartbroken if we left them.
    2) When the kids are freaking out about everything going on the cat climbing into their bed purring just like "normal days" will be a great psychological aid.
    3) They kill mice, rats, and snakes. Heck they love to go hide in the pantry with the preps and sleep there, I love it cause I haven't had a single mouse issue since they started doing that.
    4) They're a part of my family.

I used to have german shepherds, and probably will again some day. Both my dogs were schutzhund trained and were great for defense. I had food put back for them, rotated it through like the rest of my stores. After my last one was put down I donated the food to the local animal shelter since I knew I wouldn't be getting a dog again soon.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I wonder how much it costs to feed a cat for a month.

I have heard its similar to the cost to feed 25 chickens.

I dont know. I feel 38 chickens.

And zero cats.

I wonder if a cat owner could chime in on what it really costs to feed a cat?

I know my chickens give me hundreds of eggs back for that food. Cats eat... mice I guess.

Top Bottom