• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Sure, we can all agree you have to be five kinds of stupid to have a gun "go off" accidentally.

But even the best of us have our hurr-durr moments. Leaving your keys in a locked vehicle, tripping over stuff your kids laid out on the floor, cutting yourself with a kitchen knife, etc.

I'm betting at least some of you more experienced shooters have some funny stories to share (even if it's not your own). I think it would be beneficial to hear some of those stories. If you want, you can make it doubly educational and tell us what precautions that makes you take now!

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Wilbur Wright Shooting range near New Castle. 8 years ago.

I watched as everyone called for the range to be cleared. So people went down and did their thing with their targets...About 30 seconds later you hear POW POW POW.. and then someone screaming in terror. I look over to my right about 3 lanes down. Some dumb**** "accidentally" pulled the trigger why he was loading some new mags on his mini-14 three times.... One of which hit his buddies holster downrange and ricochets into the dirt beside him..Luckily he wasnt hit himself. After that everything was in slow mo----You could see the terror in the guys face that got shot at turn to angst, then calm, then his eyes twitched and the rage began. The next 2 minutes were full of a good ol' fashion superman kick into a ground pounding. The whole time his buddy is getting tagged in the mouth he is just screaming.."Im sorry" "im sorry." They left immediately after. One was walking..Without his guns. The other was driving with new ones. hahaha. That is the last time I ever went to Wilber Wright to shoot.

Skip 8 year to this present one. I was at Attabury a couple months ago. First time I have been back to a public range since the first story. During of which I was flagged numerous times by retards and at one point had someones muzzle brush my back. Never again will I visit another public range. To many retards with too much money and no common sense.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Once at a public range in TX the guy on the leftmost stall had his ar-15 jam, and he points it to the right (so the bullet would have passed thru EVERY other stall) and without removing the magazine proceeds to start beating on the rifle with the cleaning rod trying to unjam the stuck round. Several people saw him, but said nothing. Me and the gf had just arrived, but took that as our cue to leave and never return. The potential for harm was just to high, especially if everyone who saw it had no problem with it.

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    Was at the Range in Mongo some years back when two new shooters arrived. The little Tyrant loaded a bolt action 22lr, chambered a round, and procceeded to swing it in everybody's direction with his finger on the trigger. This father wasn't any better and had a Ruger 10/22. I snatched the rifle from that kid an alerted the DNR Officer as he drove past making his rounds. Both were booted from the range.

While I don't believe in permits or registration of any kind for firearms, I believe people should obtain a License of some sort for ammo through classes. I don't believe the License needs to be renewed or anything. Just proof the person has gone through some type of safety training.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    First off let me say this, I have been shooting on my own since I was able to drive (age 16). I'll never forget, me and a buddy were at Attabury at the pistol range (this story is about 20yrs old). When a guy walks up with a Mossberg 500, 12 gauge shotgun with a pistol grip. He didn't even know how to load it, he asked the guy next to us, and of course he loaded it for him. The shotgun owner then steps up and takes his one and only shot, apparently he was not holding the shotgun well, the recoil threw gun straight up and back and hit him right in the nose, which of course made his nose bleed. By this time we were packed up and headed out.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    when i got my first AR15 5 years ago i didnt know much about them. so i took it all apart inspecting it and when i took the stock assembly off i didnt realize how much tension the buffer spring was under. needless to say i caught a hard piece of plastic in the lower chin at a high rate of speed. left a nice bruise for a couple days.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Last squirrel season I drove an hour Willow Slough to squirrel hunt and found out as I got my gear unloaded that I had left my ammo in West Lafayette.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    I was loading the .30/.30 in the closet (where its kept) cause the cops were seriously looking for some ppl very close to my home. I somehow hit the trigger (still don't know how) shot through the window sill, broke some glass and nearly wet my pants! Thing is I use to load this gun nearly everyday to call my dogs home when we lived out in the country, never had a problem....needless to say I look real hard at that safety button now! upside is my bedroom smelt great!

starcrack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I was loading the .30/.30 in the closet (where its kept) cause the cops were seriously looking for some ppl very close to my home. I somehow hit the trigger (still don't know how) shot through the window sill, broke some glass and nearly wet my pants! Thing is I use to load this gun nearly everyday to call my dogs home when we lived out in the country, never had a problem....needless to say I look real hard at that safety button now! upside is my bedroom smelt great!

Wow, what did the cops have to say about that? :P

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    after a hunting trip in southern IN, my mom, my brother and I are unloading our shotguns. I had a bolt-action .410 and they both had pump-action 16ga ithaca 37s. I get mine unloaded and locked down, and they get about done and BLAM! my mom and I hit the deck, and my brother turned white as a sheet then red with embarrassment... dunno how he managed to blow a round while unloading, but he did... left a nice hole in the bed of our suburban. all I can think is he didn't have it on safe and bumped the trigger... he claims it went off on its own, but he was 15 when this happened, so there's that...

my best story is when I locked my car running but took the remote fob with me, thinking it would unlock the car while it warmed up in the driveway... had to call AAA

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i did go rabbit hunting one time and noticed i forgot my gun. i was so usto running dogs with no gun it didn't even cross my mind that i planned to kill rabbits this time. no big deal but kind of embarrising to go with 3 other men and be the one that forgot your gun

WillBrayJr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    Auburn, IN
    I remember reading a news article about an old timer that got the Authorities called on him after he shot his car's engine because it wouldn't start. He was asked why he was shooting his car. He told the LEO that he was putting his car out of it's misery.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Back in or around 1988 maybe 89 I was in the Mojave desert shooting with my Dad (I was about 11 years old)

For anyone who has not been out west; it is just very open space in the desert with basically nothing around for miles and miles.

We had all of the guns and ammo in the back of the Pathfinder...with the hatch back open.
    As I was loading my Dad's Colt Gold Cup 1911. I let the slide fall on a loaded mag. I then proceeded to remove the magazine so I could do it all over again; and rack the slide "like they do in the movies".

Well, I pulled the trigger with one in the pipe. Sent a round right through the side of the Nissan.
    The best part was nobody was hurt except my pride (and a hole through the truck). Next big step was to go tell my Dad I had just shot a hole through their brand new truck.

I told him. For the most part he didn't really flip out. Just told me to tell Mom we were away from the vehicle and someone drove by shooting at our water cooler (cool story lol). We would have told my Mom but she hated guns so we did not need to give her any ammo against our hobby.

ak keep the second

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    i went shooting in logansport, i live on Indys NE side and took my .308 along with some other guns, took out my .308 to find i had 4 rounds and those were the ones in the mag...fail

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Duck hunting in a private marsh close to home fall of 2008. The only cover we had for an east wind, which is rare, were head high cat tails. Don't get me wrong head high cat tails are great cover, but it leaves something to be desired when it comes to a spot for a dog. We did what we always do in cat tails and hunted my black lab out of a "dead sled" (for those of you not familiar its a plastic sled we use to haul gear roughly 6'L 4'W and 12" deep). This worked great as it has many times before. When Molly comes back from a retrieve she swims opposite the dead sled from me puts her front feet on the edge of it and lets me help her in with a hand behind her neck while she pulls herself up. Really the only way to do it other than picking the dog up out of the water and placing her in the sled. On one particular retrive for some reason there were 2 guns in the sled instead of just mine. Both safties were on both pointed in a safe direction out front and both laying as far to the front of the sled as possible. Molly always gets in the back part of the sled so this has never been a problem. This time however when she got in the sled she decided to shake off. She shook hard enough to knock one of the guns from its perch onto the floor. Before I had time to react she shook again stepping on the saftey and the trigger at the same time. After a quick count confirming everyone was indeed ok we all had a pretty good laugh, but the guns NEVER reside in the sled anymore when hunting a dog out of it.

Top Bottom