• ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    HSLDA | Johansson Family Back in Court

Okay, so the title is a little Rambone-esque. It's taking place overseas. And the source is extremely biased (but has always done a very good job of remaining accurate with the facts, IMO).

With the history of court rulings here in the States giving precedence and priority to schools and the state, it's only a matter of time before one of them makes it to SCOTUS, and I am less than convinced that the outcome will be any different fromm the one in this story. In terms of legal precedence that is set anyway. To an extent, the practical reality is already happening: whilst inside that school building, the state, not you, has all the control.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    The June 2012 ruling was the family’s first victory since Swedish police seized then 7-year-old Domenic on June 26, 2009. The boy and his parents were on board a jetliner minutes from departing Sweden for Annie’s home country of India when Dominic was seized. Authorities justified the taking by pointing to the fact that Dominic was homeschooled.
    I wish they said more than this. What made their case unique? Not that I have trouble believing it.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Look, I know you guys love to panic about "Th' Gubbm't," but this is ridiculous. I hear that people aren't free to own firearms in North Korea. HOW LONG UNTIL THEY TAKE OUR GUNS?>!@> :rolleyes:

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Whilst your children sit inside in that school building, the state, not you, has all the control.

So send your kid to private school. The state, at the moment, will even pay for you to send your child to the private school of your choice. Or you could home school your kid/s. But not everyone can afford to home school. For example, my wife and I both have jobs that we cannot possibly afford to give up to home school. So for us, and most people, public school is the only option.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    So send your kid to private school. The state, at the moment, will even pay for you to send your child to the private school of your choice. Or you could home school your kid/s. But not everyone can afford to home school. For example, my wife and I both have jobs that we cannot possibly afford to give up to home school. So for us, and most people, public school is the only option.

Hello, noob.

1. The state doesn't pay to send kids to private school. Where do you get your information?

2. Public school is not the only option. It may be the best option giving the circumstances, but it is not the only option. The choice not to enroll one's children in a private school is a CHOICE. One made because parents do not make the sacrifices necessary to do so. It may very well be that what would have to be sacrificed would be a greater detriment to the family than the choice to send the kids to public school. But it is still a choice. And frankly, there are very few families so destitute that they cannot make the sacrifice but rather do not make the sacrifice.

I won't even adress the point that your statement hinges on the assumption that you have a right to expect others to pay for your obligations.

3. I don't think you're seeing the forest because you can't get past the trees.

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    Hello, sir.

1. The state doesn't pay to send kids to private school. Where do you get your information?

2. Public school is not the only option. It may be the best option giving the circumstances, but it is not the only option. The choice not to enroll one's children in a private school is a CHOICE. One made because parents do not make the sacrifices necessary to do so. It may very well be that what would have to be sacrificed would be a greater detriment to the family than the choice to send the kids to public school. But it is still a choice. And frankly, there are very few families so destitute that they cannot make the sacrifice but rather do not make the sacrifice.

I won't even adress the point that your statement hinges on the assumption that you have a right to expect others to pay for your obligations.

3. I don't think you're seeing the forest because you can't get past the trees.

Let's just agree to disagree. You think I'm wrong and I think you're wrong. Congrats to you that you've risen above the tyranny and oppression that is state education. Now stop trying to tell me how to educate my kids, you're starting to sound like the state or something.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Let's just agree to disagree. You think I'm wrong and I think you're wrong. Congrats to you that you've risen above the tyranny and oppression that is state education. Now stop trying to tell me how to educate my kids, you're starting to sound like the state or something.

:laugh: What's there to disagree with?

When did I tell you how to educate your kids? I don't give a rat's ass how you choose to educate them. But I don't mind reminding you at every opportunity that you have no claim to my money to pay for it.

Could you at least tell me how the state pays for private education?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    In terms of legal precedence that is set anyway. To an extent, the practical reality is already happening: whilst inside that school building, the state, not you, has all the control.

That's not just practical reality, 88GT, that is actual law. Google up the Parker vs Hurley decision from the United States District Court of Massachusetts. The long and short of it is: "Parents have a fundamental right to raise their children. They are not required to abandon that responsibility to the state. They may send their children to a private school...They may also educate their children at home."

In other words, parents have the right to 1) Private School their children 2) homeschool their children or 3) State School their children (read: abandon their responsibility to the state and accord with the state's desires)

In 2008 the SCOTUS refused to review the case which left the District Court's decision to stand as nationwide precedent.

:twocents:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    After having experienced public, private and charter schools I will say parents have a whole lot more influence in private schools. They actually listen to paying customers.

beararms1776

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    INGO
    But not everyone can afford to home school. For example, my wife and I both have jobs that we cannot possibly afford to give up to home school. So for us, and most people, public school is the only option.
    I have to agree here. If a significant other wants you to sit in class with your child instead of providing food and shelter by working, then they can foot the bills, but then, I suppose you'd be considered a deadbeat parent if you can't sit in class and work to.
    Just how much do these significant others care? Time will tell.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom