• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I was mowing multiple lawns at 12. Started as a W-2 stockboy at 15 (making less than my lawn jobs). Worked as a pharmacy stockboy all through high school and college. Worked as a CPA the last four decades and retire in two months. It will be weird not working.

My loser nephew at 26 has never worked a 40 hour job. Spends more time in mom’s basement playing video games than he has ever worked.

Can’t figure it out. I have some young people who work for me that are smart and hard working but many young people I encounter have absolutely zero work ethic/ desire.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Can’t figure it out. I have some young people who work for me that are smart and hard working but many young people I encounter have absolutely zero work ethic/ desire.

You're on a relatively conservative forum, with a better than average understanding of events in the country, and you don't understand why young people don't see themselves as having a future?

They're too young to even understand why they feel that way, but their brain knows what's going on.

If you're too young to be sitting on any assets and have practically no market valuable skills, unless you're driven beyond average, I'd honestly say you don't have a chance on the current trajectory. Have your home appraised if you don't believe me.
    It also doesn't help when they're told from every authoritative source that because they were born white they are the ultimate boogieman, and that it will be a good thing when they become a minority in their own town. Or that if they're unwilling to date a cross dresser, that means they're hitler.

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I graduated from high school in 1964 and back then you could quit a job and be working a new job the next day. There was a General Motors foundry, Bohn Aluminum, Hyster, G. E., Aluth Proudy and more I can't remember right now. These were companies that employed from 300 to 3,000 people with a whole bunch of places that employed smaller numbers of people but still good jobs.
    All the places I named manufactured a product of some type and are all gone now for years. The only one with a presence is Hyster who still has a parts depot but no manufacturing. There are a couple large distributer warehouses/trucking outfits and one large manufacturing plant which is Krup. That is all the good jobs I can think of, nothing like it was back in the day Jim.

Reactions: Leo

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    And do they still exist, or did that move to china?
    Long gone… but it really needed to be. Golden was OLD, their four gas fueled furnaces were uncontrolled; the neighborhoods around it were covered in corrosive ash, automobile painted didn’t last a year (convertible tops died instantly).

Part of the annual shut-down work was shoveling accumulated ash and cinders off of the roofs. Periodic cleaning of the 'bag rooms' was another favorite (bag rooms were the air filtering system; floor to ceiling tubular fabric bags that accumulated dust); three times a year the bags (hundreds of them) had to be removed, shaken, and replaced (us youngsters got the job).

This job was instrumental in convincing me to head off to Purdue, which I did.

1706823687365.png
    Not at Golden Foundry, but this is a small bag room; the ones at Golden were about 10'x10'x20'; bag spacing was it appears in this photo.

1706823994543.png

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Long gone… but it really needed to be. Golden was OLD, their four gas fueled furnaces were uncontrolled; the neighborhoods around it were covered in corrosive ash, automobile painted didn’t last a year (convertible tops died instantly).

Part of the annual shut-down work was shoveling accumulated ash and cinders off of the roofs. Periodic cleaning of the 'bag rooms' was another favorite (bag rooms were the air filtering system; floor to ceiling tubular fabric bags that accumulated dust); three times a year the bags (hundreds of them) had to be removed, shaken, and replaced (us youngsters got the job).

This job was instrumental in convincing me to head off to Purdue, which I did.

View attachment 329911
    Not at Golden Foundry, but this is a small bag room; the ones at Golden were about 10'x10'x20'; bag spacing was it appears in this photo.

View attachment 329914

I know what it's like to come home looking that way. I hauled coal ash for a lot of years, and regularly had people accuse me of being racist for doing blackface.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I did bailing hay and trapping in the 70’s, good money. Then part time work after school. Low pay factory work until I retired. My oldest son did odd jobs for money and got a job at 18. Making 3X what I was making before retirement. My other son did nothing until he turned 18, that was fine with me. He is doing really good and paid off his house 5 years ago, he’s 33. Neither one any college. Both are decades ahead of where I was. Don’t see where it matters. Depends on the person imho.

Top Bottom