• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    I'm not dead set on 40. Are Rock Island 1911's any good?
    Rock Island 1911's are good solid pistols for the money. I would suggest that you look at a Taurus PT1911 as it is probably the best 1911 for the money.

By the way,
    hmm those look like high points. Never fired one before. any good ;)
    WOW!!! Although, I do agree, at first glance those high end HK's look a little like fancy HP's.:D

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    what about a 3'' 1911?

dpahx3.jpg

mitchmoore1989

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    Mooresville
    if you are looking for a good .40 go for the springfield xdm. i have one and love it. you should go to the 1500 and look for one you should be able to find one between 500 and 600. i bought mine in july 09 for 600.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Guess people can not read, no Glock please. I like the m&p, Xd/Xdm, and FN for polymer framed pistols. Also I have heard really good things about the CZ P-07, feels good but I have not shot one. If you want something of the metal variety, I would suggest a CZ 75, or CZ P-06. Honestly, CZ's are the best steel framed pistols I have ever shot. In my opinion, even more so then some more expensive 1911's. I like the .357 sig, my Dad has one in an Xd. However ammo is not readily available at least not that I have seen locally. Not to mention a bit on the expensive side. Also chances are eventually it will probably fade away. As for a revolver, the last box of .357 mag my Dad bought was $20+ for fifty. Of course I do not know your budget either. Taurus makes allot of good models of revolvers. Some say they are junk, however I have shot allot of them over the years. They are accurate, do the job, and reasonably priced. I also like the Ruger GP-100. They are one hell of a revolver. If I was to buy though, I would go with a .357 because you can always shoot .38's.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    XD-40
    XDm-40
    M&P 40

Then get another barrel and you can shoot .357 SIG.

But really, you might like to try a 4" DA .357 Magnum... or a 5.5" SA .357 Magnum

A buddy of mine just got a Ruger Blackhawk .327 Magnum stainless w/ rosewood grips. It's pretty enough to make you cry.

The GP-100 also now comes in .327 Mag, then you can shoot anything from mild wo wild... .327 Mag, .32 H&R Mag, .32 S&W Long, .32 S&W.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm not dead set on 40. Are Rock Island 1911's any good?

They are quite good. My wife's GI is as accurate as anything you would spend considerably more for. It's quite reliable, except with Blazer aluminum. Stumbled twice in 25 rounds on that ammo (no great loss there, IMHO.) Everything else, ball or JHP, it's fled flawlessly. My step-father's GI and my best friend's Tactical exhibit similar accuracy and reliability. My Tactical stuttered some until I dumped a couple mags. It didn't like Blazer aluminum, either.

darngolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    I would suggest a Sig in either 226, 229 or 239. I would look at CPO ones(certified preowned) and get an extra barrel in .357 sig and then you can shoot both calibers. By going used you could have the gun, extra barrel, and a couple of magazines for the price of a new gun. The barrel change takes about 30 seconds. I have one used 226 and one new 226 in 40 and not much difference between the two other than cost. I also have the extra barrel in .357 sig. Also, I reccomend the mec gar mags. They are cheaper and have worked flawlessly in any gun I have tried.

jmancobra

Plinker
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    kokomo
    GET BOTH!!!! what about a sig 229 or 239. you can sometimes find them with both barrels(.40 and .357) or at least if you find a .40 you can buy a .357 barrel. Im personally looking to do the same thing. make sure the ORIGINAL caliber is the one you want to carry. ive heard the changing calibers is for range only! im sure that would depend on the pistol though. im wanting a .357 sig to carry in my car.....but target shoot .40 for obvious reasons. just my:twocents:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Maybe another FNP. I'd like a 1911 but don't know if I'm ready to make a 1k commitment

Tons of 1911's for under a $1,000. Kimber, Colt, Springfield, RIA, Taurus all make great models forwell under a grand

Already got my Sub compact and snubbie.

I've also heard that small 1911s don't work the way they're suppose to.

Don't believe everything your read on the internet, tens's of thousands of short barrel'd 1911 owners that love their guns and they work well without ever having an issue. Remember not the size of the barrel but how you shoot it. :D

Top Bottom