• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We don't have cable either. Just watch broadcast network TV after the kiddos go to bed.

I will say this for TV and the government. PBS taught my son all of this letters and his numbers up to 10 before he was 2.5 y/o.

The rest of the time the TV plays DVDs and video games.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    WE have one in everyroom but one. The bathroom, and If it were up to me I would put one in the throne room also. I do like the local news in the morning while S<S and S time. We now have the high speed internet and basic cable and I believe that we could get by with just the internet but the basic package is fairly priced. There has been several channels dropped lately on the package like court TV but nothing I really watched. The girlg are little and like NICK and DISNEY channel so for no we will keep it.

Mostly it is background noise. I guess if I did not have one I would not miss it as much as I think i would. Most likely I would just put on music as background noise.

We had free cable for years when we moved into our first house. Even HBO. Just plugged in the tv's and was good to go. After several years the neighbors sold the house and moved. Several months later the new owners must have ordered cable service and my free cable stopped. We broke out the rabbit ears and never looked back. We were kidless and it just stunk when the weather got bad and we got stuck with little to do outside the house.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I have a tv... but its been so long since I turned it on im not entirely sure it works anymore. With hulu/netflix/other websites, the need/desire to watch network TV is non-existant. Id sell the damn thing, but I don't want to go thru the hassle of trying to ship a 65" LCD tv, and I don't know what to change :D

Mitch B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2010
    indiana
    I'll admit, I watch more than I probably should. Come summer I watch much, much less, though.
    quote]

This for me to, come summer I don't watch much TV at all. I would much rather be outside in a John Deere!

But it's nice to relax and watch it also!!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    My wife watches TV alot, and I'll sit and watch it with her sometimes, but mostly I'd rather be doing other things. We did go for 5 years without TV when we were on active duty and found that, except for not being able to ignore it when we were visiting friends, we didn't miss it much. Nowadays, we have TV and VHS/DVDs (my preference), but don't have cable.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My wife watches TV alot, and I'll sit and watch it with her sometimes, but mostly I'd rather be doing other things. We did go for 5 years without TV when we were on active duty and found that, except for not being able to ignore it when we were visiting friends, we didn't miss it much. Nowadays, we have TV and VHS/DVDs (my preference), but don't have cable.

I find that I am not immunized against tv anymore. There's no such thing as having it on as background. Now when I am around one it captures my attention, and I hate the fact that many bars and restaurants have them placed so it is impossible to NOT see one.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I will say this for TV and the government. PBS taught my son all of this letters and his numbers up to 10 before he was 2.5 y/o.
    ATO, that is awesome to hear because I can say the exact same thing with my son! In his bedroom we put it on PBS Sprout and he watched it all the time and loved to go to sleep to watching it. Before we knew it, he was counting and doing his alphabet and we linked it to PBS being the biggest influence!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I was talking to a guy I work with today and he said his family has not had a TV in 7 years :dunno:. He said he dosn't like to waste time and watch stupid stuff on TV. No sports, no news to see whats going on in the world? I don't think I could do it. Do you know anybody like this??

Not My Personal Choice. Same here But starting my 2nd week. Cold Turkey TVless is Tough for the 1st week But I'm getting better. Radio, Internet, DVD's & NetFlix is it till the Spring Thaw and I can dig up my broken DISH TV Cable :xmad:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I haven't had cable/satellite for almost 10 years. And if it weren't for football, a 24-hour weather station, and something on which to view the movie collection, I could much prefer not having one at all. If I could convince my son that it only played movies, I might try it.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The only show I watch is Tosh.0. Anything else I watch on TV is VHS or DVD. Yes, I still use VHS. I'm moving in a few months and the girlfriend won't let me get rid of cable.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I was talking to a guy I work with today and he said his family has not had a TV in 7 years :dunno:. He said he dosn't like to waste time and watch stupid stuff on TV. No sports, no news to see whats going on in the world? I don't think I could do it. Do you know anybody like this??

I haven't owned a tv in 4 years. I'm as informed as necessary between radio news, internet and print news and I don't waste my time on all that trash. TV is a time killer.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    If I had my choice, I would get rid of mine.
    I hardly ever watch Dish Network anymore.
    My wife on the otherhand, watches it constantly.
    I made the attempt to cancel my subscription and was met with Hells fury.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    We have one TV in the house. It's hooked up to a DVD player and a Wii. I haven't watched any kind of broadcast/cable/dish television in about ten years. We do stream netfix, though, and recently started watching a couple television shows that way.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Dees-TV.bmp

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Television 'programming' gets worse and worse every time I catch a few moments of it. Brainless "Reality" shows that keep people blinded to reality, shameless indoctrination of children with subliminal messages, every other commercial is a Pharmaceutical advertisement, pro-government slant on every news channel (yes even Fox News)... It keeps Americans fat and docile.

I've been TV-free for quite a while. I never intend on getting sucked back in.

slimel_dees.jpg

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Not My Personal Choice. Same here But starting my 2nd week. Cold Turkey TVless is Tough for the 1st week But I'm getting better. Radio, Internet, DVD's & NetFlix is it till the Spring Thaw and I can dig up my broken DISH TV Cable :xmad:

Unless you are stealing your cable, if it is outside of the house your TV provider is responsible for fixing the cables, at least that is what I have been told by my providers before. Maybe they are refusing to do so until spring. If thats the case hopefully you arent paying.

I wouldnt be without TV or Internet. If I had to I would cut the bills elsewhere. I have too much money invested in home theatre stuff to not use it. Plus I watch a ton of sports and the wife watches her garbage shows. Hell watching the Penguins in HD is worth the cable bill alone. Hockey is crazy in HD on a big tv or projector.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I wish Comcast would allow you to pick what channels you wanted, and only pay for those channels. I watch maybe 6 channels tops. Or, HBO and Encore for movies. I will say that 99% of TV is pure trash.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Television 'programming' gets worse and worse every time I catch a few moments of it. Brainless "Reality" shows that keep people blinded to reality, shameless indoctrination of children with subliminal messages, every other commercial is a Pharmaceutical advertisement, pro-government slant on every news channel (yes even Fox News)... It keeps Americans fat and docile.

I've been TV-free for quite a while. I never intend on getting sucked back in.

slimel_dees.jpg

Mkay

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    I grew up without TV. When I was kid we had a reel to reel projector. We watched Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy etc.
    After I moved out I got a TV for the free channels, I've never had paid TV.
    I do sometimes download shows from the net that I want to watch.

Top Bottom