You Are Walking Through The Woods Tomorrow and...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    You are out squirrel hunting tomorrow. It's hot like today. Dry like it's been for a week. Squirrel hunting is really over for the day, it's about 9am so yer just sort of taking a look around.

Walking up a dry creek bed you notice it's damp and a little ravine coming in to it here. The steep hill side is may be 50 yards through the brush. Half way to the hill side there's water. It's COLD. Another ten yards closer to the hill the water is tumbling over rocks down hill. Now you can see the spring coming out of the hillside.

Stepping over a down tree, you see the lid of a white 5 gallon bucket laying in bottom of the barely flowing spring.

What do you do now?

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Toss the lid up and shoot it like skeet. I mean to heck with it, huntings over and its time to play.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    is it your property?

Hoosier National Forrest or any other public ground. I suppose it could be private ground as well that you don't own but let's go with HNF. Game on, it's only your own skills, expirience and conciense to be your guide.

You are alone, no phone a friend, an hour walk from the road, haven't seen a person since you turned on to the road you parked on. No one for miles even knows your name and no one you know would have a clue where to put a finger on a map.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    You are out squirrel hunting tomorrow. It's hot like today. Dry like it's been for a week. Squirrel hunting is really over for the day, it's about 9am so yer just sort of taking a look around.

Walking up a dry creek bed you notice it's damp and a little ravine coming in to it here. The steep hill side is may be 50 yards through the brush. Half way to the hill side there's water. It's COLD. Another ten yards closer to the hill the water is tumbling over rocks down hill. Now you can see the spring coming out of the hillside.

Stepping over a down tree, you see the lid of a white 5 gallon bucket laying in bottom of the barely flowing spring.

What do you do now?

Is this like some twisted, l-o-n-g haiku, Jack?? I've been drinking Scotch while Mrs Paddling_Man has been mowing.

The sound of the running water off that hill makes me need to go take a leak.

BRB

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Toss the lid up and shoot it like skeet. I mean to heck with it, huntings over and its time to play.

You set your gun aside and bend over to pick up the lid. It's caught on something. You can see the entire top side of the lid. How can it be stuck.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I start digging and looking for airflow. Or I *ahem* would if I weren't a good little citizen who does everything the DNR says.

You have nothing to dig with. Your hole fills with water, your hands are sore and you broke a finger nail. Your shoes are wet and pants muddy. Your rifle fell over when you sat back on the bank in disgust.

The bucket lid is still in the middle of the rocky stream bed, level with the rocks and the sound of the trickle of water makes it sound as if it is laughing at you. When you squit just right the smile of one of those goofy walmart smilies seems to appear.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    GO up stream to where the water is coming out of the ground and plug it with my big toe, while digging out the lid with my boyscout spoon that I keep in my hat band.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    You have nothing to dig with. Your hole fills with water, your hands are sore and you broke a finger nail. Your shoes are wet and pants muddy. Your rifle fell over when you sat back on the bank in disgust.

The bucket lid is still in the middle of the rocky stream bed, level with the rocks and the sound of the trickle of water makes it sound as if it is laughing at you. When you squit just right the smile of one of those goofy walmart smilies seems to appear.

wait, hang on...which finger nail?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Is this like some twisted, l-o-n-g haiku, Jack?? I've been drinking Scotch while Mrs Paddling_Man has been mowing.

The sound of the running water off that hill makes me need to go take a leak.

BRB

What direction do you move to perform this act?

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    GO up stream to where the water is coming out of the ground and plug it with my big toe, while digging out the lid with my boyscout spoon that I keep in my hat band.

A little digging around the edge and moving a couple stones reveals the lid is attached to a bucket and every other tab has been cut. It appears it is to ease removal of the lid from the bucket.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

Well then it's game over for me...I'm going home and pouting.

French tips aren't cheap.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.

WHAT????? I broke a NAIL????

I have dug a pit 35 feet deep through rock with my bare hands (mostly). This weekend we will finish it and then those who said I was crazy will all see! bwahahahahaha*

*see what a 2 year long obsession does to a man?

Top Bottom