Yet another mass shooting this time, Texas again.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Back in the 60's when streaking started -Pro sports would broadcast every sick streaker and make it front page news - Giving them their one minute of fame - Them they woke up and refuse broadcasting it and it has just about stopped. Mass shooting are terrible - but the news is doing the same thing, giving these sick people their one minute of fame,

Same thing with teen suicides.

Yet, the media will REFUSE to acknowledge it, until some kind of pressure becomes difficult to overcome.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Sigh. :( More fuel.

Came across this tweet:

"glorify the gun that was used to kill them"

Well, it's a pretty glorious gun.
    It's not like they're wearing pins in the likeness of the mentally ill killer who was wielding the gun.
    These anti-2A folks should consider finding something else to point their fingers at.

How many people are killed by cars?
    Yet people still put car mfger images on t-shirts, key rings, etc.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I think it would be worth knowing for research purpose, to determine the causal factors. I wouldn't claim that the meds are the cause. But we're not going to research that question if we're too busy blaming guns for all the mass shootings.

If research does discover a link, well. That's just really inconvenient for pharma. But if it is a link, I wouldn't say we should ban those meds. A whole lot of people are able to live a more normal life because of them. But perhaps contraindicators can be discovered.
    LOL, I like your optimism. I'm too pragmatic I guess. Who will do the things you suggest? No one, that's who. Besides, considering the vast majority of active killers do not survive the incident, the answers die with them. Correlation does not equal causation.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    The deceased perp (alleged perp?) either likes the city of Dallas a LOT or it’s a gang tat. Multiple references to a gang tattoo here, including secondhand Dallas PD opinion:

I know I’m gonna get “Denny’d”, but you asked so I’m answering. Yes, it’s all anecdotal; I recognize that.
    Ugh, 17 pages or mostly useless drivel. However, I did find my answer. A poster wrote, "100% a gang tattoo.....a friend at Dallas PD said they all have them." Well crap, it's settled. The internet has come through again. I did an image search and couldn't find anything, that is why I asked. It may be a gang thing. I was just looking for a REAL source I could see myself. In the end, it's not that deep if it is or isn't.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    LOL, I like your optimism. I'm too pragmatic I guess. Who will do the things you suggest? No one, that's who. Besides, considering the vast majority of active killers do not survive the incident, the answers die with them.
    No one is going to research it because there's no money in knowing if SSRI's are causing some people to do these mass shootings.

Correlation does not equal causation.
    That's a popular internet thing to say. Correlation can be evidence of causation but is not proof thereof. How do we know what causes cancer? Well, besides looking on a box of cereal for a California warning.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    To look at the facts. And stop blaming the guns. ATF seems to think taking guns will solve the problem. They want to make felons because you have a piece of plastic they said was ok but now it’s no ok with them. How is that helping? They are simply more interested in taking away rights and blaming guns. Rather than the criminal and why they got that way. I don’t really like listening to your BS either to be honest.
    Only the men/women who are the 1st line of investigations have the facts. Then they get pushed up and EACH SIDE takes what facts suits them and runs with it. The ATF? Maybe focus on the elected officials that are creating/passing the ACTUAL laws. The ATF has some power but it pales in comparison to what people's representatives can/does do. As far as the why? That is a super complex question. My BS? That cuts deep man...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    No one is going to research it because there's no money in knowing if SSRI's are causing some people to do these mass shootings.
    No money? Maybe. But we have a chicken or the egg situation. A depressed person with suicidal ideations takes SSRI then goes on a killing spree. How would we PROVE it was the SSRI that caused it? Give SSRI to mentally stable people I guess and see if it makes them killers. 12-13% of population in US (40-42 Million people) are on SSRI. Mass shootings are exceedingly rare.
    That's a popular internet thing to say. Correlation can be evidence of causation but is not proof thereof. How do we know what causes cancer? Well, besides looking on a box of cereal for a California warning.
    For typing brevity, it is popular to say on the interwebz. But so many use it as proof, here and in the real world.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No money? Maybe. But we have a chicken or the egg situation. A depressed person with suicidal ideations takes SSRI then goes on a killing spree. How would we PROVE it was the SSRI that caused it?

Doesn't that require a lack of imagination? I get the chicken/egg thing.

Statistical analysis could prove correlation. That wouldn't be all that expensive. Then further research could determine causality. That would probably be expensive. How do they figure out carcinogens? It's only my contention that such research would not be profitable for anyone to fund because if the answer is no, that's the profitable answer which they have without asking the question. If the answer is yes, it's not profitable.

BTW. How did they figure out to put the warning on the bottle that it can cause suicidal thoughts? If people took SSRIs for reasons not related to suicidal thoughts and never had them before, started having them after SSRIs, told their doctor, had the meds changed, and then no longer had suicidal thoughts. What caused the thoughts?

Give SSRI to mentally stable people I guess and see if it makes them killers. 12-13% of population in US (40-42 Million people) are on SSRI. Mass shootings are exceedingly rare.

For typing brevity, it is popular to say on the interwebz. But so many use it as proof, here and in the real world.
    I don't think there's any proof yet that the mass shootings are all caused by SSRI's. I think it's reasonable to say that SSRI's can cause suicidal and other dangerous ideation. And that it's pretty rare too. Perhaps the planets align. It's worth studying causal links, if we're really interested in finding the causes of mass shootings and stopping them.

I think one thing would tend to stop it. If every mass shooting ended like the one in Indy where the guy who ended it got all the publicity, I think there'd be less incentive. Now people are using it to get their message out. Probably not the Texas one. But the two before that certainly.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Back in the 60's when streaking started -Pro sports would broadcast every sick streaker and make it front page news - Giving them their one minute of fame - Them they woke up and refuse broadcasting it and it has just about stopped. Mass shooting are terrible - but the news is doing the same thing, giving these sick people their one minute of fame,
    Ding, ding, ding, we got a winner!!!. Most (or a lot) of us can remember the Tylenol murders, kids had to have their candy X-rayed before the parents would let them eat it.

A nut bag is gonna be a nut bag.

Not big on infringing on the “Bill Of Rights”, but the first amendment doesn’t give you the right to yell FIRE in a crowded theater. To me this seems to be exactly that. All for a Democrat, not to be confused with democratic reasons. JMO

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    For those wanting stats, this may help. I hope this link gives all of the info I got when it came out. ( I read the whole thing) It’s about a million pages, but gives all the info you could ask for. You just have to look for where your wanted statistic is located. They don’t make it easy, they only publish it once every **** long time. Good luck.

edit: after looking at the link once it posted, if this doesn’t get you to where you want to be, it will point you to the .gov publication that will.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ugh, 17 pages or mostly useless drivel. However, I did find my answer. A poster wrote, "100% a gang tattoo.....a friend at Dallas PD said they all have them." Well crap, it's settled. The internet has come through again. I did an image search and couldn't find anything, that is why I asked. It may be a gang thing. I was just looking for a REAL source I could see myself. In the end, it's not that deep if it is or isn't.
    I get it man. Like I said, anecdotal. Bunch of people on Twitter saw the tattoo and pegged it as a gang tat. And, like you said, doesn’t make much of a difference now. But that triple D thing is really distinctive and he doesn’t look like the kind of person who would put the equivalent of “I love Dallas” on the back of his left hand.

Between this monster and the person who ran everyone over there are some sick mother****ers in the world. It’s no wonder so many people who have to deal with scum like this have a hard time coping. I sure as hell know I couldn’t do it.

Reactions: Mij

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Yeah, I don't watch any of that BS.

HIPPA is difficult to get around, even when they are dead. So what medications and mental problems are worth noting? Are you suggesting those persons on medications and with mental problems should not have access to firearms? Or those are the reasons they killed?
    You shouldn't put your head in the sand. I have Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts -- but won't deal with TIkTok (CHICOM Spyware). Twitter and Instagram are how I keep my ear to the rail. Plenty of TikTok stuff gets cross-posted to Twitter. 21 years of Uncle Sam pounded it into me: KNOW YOUR ENEMY! Indeed, keep friends close. Keep enemies closer.

Last edited:

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Is it known/confirmed if he was wearing body armor? I'm starting to rethink my, "I don't have to dress-around-gun gun to 5.7x28." I wonder how that S&W 5.7 handles this:

https://eliteammunition.com/
    It was an ammo chest rig for holding 30-round mags. No body armor. He had a "basic load" and then some. More guns and ammo were in his car. I've little doubt he didn't anticipate being taken down as quickly by an Allen PD officer already there on another call.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Again the question is asked... Why can't people have guns in the malls?

When you look at the attacks that have taken place in GFZs then look at what happens when a good guy has a gun it doesn't make sense why the rules are still there.

Bad guys don't care about breaking the rule.

I wasn't aware that Texas had the silly sign law like Ohio does. I am going to Ohio end of the month and that is one thing I am not too keen on.

Top Bottom