Yard Sale Shotgun - What have I got here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Just picked this up at a yard sale. It's a Moore & Sons side lock 12 gauge (not a muzzle loader). It's in very good shape. I haven't started researching it yet, so I thought I would start here on INGO to see if anyone knows anything about these guns. It has some interesting proof marks. Bore is in great shape, and there is only some very minor pitting on the receiver. No surface rust whatsoever.

IMG_2209_zps28702ec7.jpg

IMG_2210_zps1b62bbf4.jpg

IMG_2216_zps6aa4d0b1.jpg

IMG_2212_zpse59c6df6.jpg

IMG_2214_zps0bc22833.jpg

IMG_2215_zps513ab3c0.jpg

IMG_2217_zps24fc4e53.jpg

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I know for certain it's made in Liege, Belguim by some of the proof marks. . My old shotgun has some of the same ones.

Firearms History, Technology & Development: Testing Firearms: Proof Test

Going by the marks in totality, it's possible to nail down an age range for your shotgun - as certain employees had individual / unique stamps. Those are a known quantity and can be used to narrow down a time span when that individual was doing that certain job.

-J-

Buck67

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Until you can find out if it was proofed with modern smokeless powder, don't shoot anything but blackpowder loads in it. It looks like a shooter.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know for certain it's made in Liege, Belguim by some of the proof marks. . My old shotgun has some of the same ones.

Firearms History, Technology & Development: Testing Firearms: Proof Test

Going by the marks in totality, it's possible to nail down an age range for your shotgun - as certain employees had individual / unique stamps. Those are a known quantity and can be used to narrow down a time span when that individual was doing that certain job.

-J-
    Wow, interesting! Maybe I've found a diamond in the rough... or not... Doesn't matter I guess, but it would be a bonus if it were valuable! :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    sempriobie, thanks! I bookmarked that site too...

Buck, presumably one of those proof marks will tell me that? Thanks for that info too... I'll definitely find out if it is safe for modern ammo. If not, it'll be a safe queen/ wall hanger.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't see the PV mark (one of the Belgium markings for smokeless powder (Nitro Proof), but there is "NS" in a couple of places... Nitro/Smokeless maybe?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Found out more here... Belgium

This mark:
    Belgian17.jpg
    Indicates a blackpowder proof mark.

There is also an E with a star above it. According to the site that indicates that the gun was inspected by Jamarte Auguste sometime between 1924 and 1959. If I'm interpreting what I think is a lower case "g", that would be a Belgian date mark, indicating it was made in 1928. I still don't know what the NS signifies.

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    Black Powder.

Hey my friend..That is a beautiful old piece, do not get in a hurry to move it down the road. IMO the sidelocks are much more desirable than a common boxlock,and if it is a fluid steel barrel,not pitted too bad inside,I would not be afraid to shoot low brass..I know a couple of guys that are knowledgeable in this field if you want to PM me. With the rise in popularity of "Cowboy" type events,black powder shells are not too hard to find. A little expensive..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    After more research and some info from some guys on another forum, I have found that it's older than 1928... quite a bit older. Here's one bit of info I got from the other forum:

"Moore and Sons was a trade name used by Henri Pieper of Liege Belgium in the period 1880-1898 and most likely imported into the US by H. and D. Folsom Arms Company. Your specimen will be equipped with Damascus, Twist or Laminated Steel barrels and is not safe to use with modern ammunition. Your gun lacks the specific proof marks: no nitro proof (1891-present), no barrel weight (nitro proofed guns 1892-present), no choke designation (1924-present), no gauge and chamber length designation (1924-present). Your gun was made before 1891 based on the lack of proof marks plus the side lever design that was obsolete by the 1890's."

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Thanks guys! I gotta say it was one of my better yard sale finds. Seems like mostly I come across baby clothes, toys, rusty tools and old clothes... DoggyMama is a yard sale queen, and she has found some bargains, but like I've told her, I go for quality not quantity! :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It's a wall hanger. I wouldn't shoot anything through it unless you have a good gunsmith look it over and still I personaly wouldn't fire it (I have a couple similar in age and design). I don't see it being valuable but if you spent around $50 on it you probably did good if you like guns you can't shoot. Its purdy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's a wall hanger. I wouldn't shoot anything through it unless you have a good gunsmith look it over and still I personaly wouldn't fire it (I have a couple similar in age and design). I don't see it being valuable but if you spent around $50 on it you probably did good if you like guns you can't shoot. Its purdy.
    Well, I paid considerably more than that. Probably more than I should have, but I was able to speak with the former owner (he wasn't at the sale when I bought it), and he said that he bought it at an auction 7 or 8 years ago. He said that the auction was split into two groups - one group of non-working "parts guns" and one group that were supposedly certified to be in working order. This one was in the latter group. (Take that for what it's worth. :dunno:) I really don't see any reason why it wouldn't be safe to fire with black powder loads. It locks up tight, and there is no pitting of the barrels, inside or out. Even if it's a wall hanger and I paid too much, it wouldn't be the first time I've paid too much for something I really liked and wanted. Probably won't be the last! :):

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    It could even even be a vet bring back from WWII. Never know without the papers. But still neat to think about. I'm a sucker for all guns wall hangers or not. Those Barrels can be real weak because over time the way those are made you have rust and other issues that can further weaken them and make them not safe to fire. That's why I said I'd have a person in the know give the thumbs up before firing anything other than a primer through it. Just my 2 cents.

Top Bottom