• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    My brother recently bought a Springfield XDS 45. This was his first weekend with the gun so we went out and put some rounds through the gun. I brought both my Ruger SR9C and 1911.

After firing a mag through each of my guns and him firing one through the XDS he looks at me and says "Can you shoot this to let me know where you think its hitting" A little confused since this is not remotely the first time he has shot a gun I said sure and gave him both of my guns to load up so he could shoot them.

I take the XDS and fire one shot, its about 6-8 inches low at 15 feet, not only that but damn I think I just broke my wrist. Oh well lets figure it out.... try it again this time my wrist has got to be broken and I hit in almost the same place. Well at least we know the gun is consistent but kicks like a mule. After a few more mags we were able to figure out where to hold and man it was weird! We had to hold the front sight at 12 compared to the rear sights and cover the target up with the front sight. (Rears sitting low)

It was weird that both of us had the same experience with the sights but either of the other guns were dead on.

Anyway overall I found the gun uncomfortable to hold, kicked like a mule and was awkward to shoot due to the sight picture.

I had high hopes for it, I enjoyed the xd9 and the xdm9 both but this just was not the same.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I had an XD-s in 9mm flavor. Really liked the way the gun shot, it was (I thought) a pretty soft shooter, but I haven't tried the 45. I don't recall, though, that my sights were off... I too covered my target with the front sight, which isn't any different than the way my XDM or Glock sights are lined up. I wasn't over the top of my target, just right on it.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I bet the 9mm would be a huge difference. My SR9c is comparable in size and doesn't kick near as much.

It wasn't so much the covering up that threw me off as it was the front sight sitting way high and the rear sights hanging low.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    My GF shot my XDs .45 Sunday and instantly fell in love and is looking for one now.

I don't know what is up with yours, I can hold a 3-4" group at 50' and the sights are level with the "pumpkin on a post" with the front sight just below the target. I don't think the recoil is bad at all, but then I am also a 10mm and .44 magnum shooter mostly 8-)

INDY45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Aug 28, 2012
    Henryville, Indiana
    I have both the XDs 9mm and 45acp and both shoot to point of aim, The 9mm is very lite in recoil. And the 45 is a little snappy but very manageable my 16 year old daughter can control and shoot the 45 well at 10 yards. Groups in a 5" circle, Is yours pre or post recall and how is the trigger? What grain ammo are you using, I shoot the 78 grain lead free in the 45 very low recoil and puts a large hole.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Yep, sure sounds like you got something wrong with your example. My wife actually commented on how soft her XDs 45 shoots, loves it. As far as sights, hers is dead on at 7 yards, havent really stretched it much past that because I dont like chasing brass in the snow, lol.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    Maybe the sights are just off on this particular gun, not sure. Has anyone ever heard of sights being off that much from the factory? I would figure with the manufacturing tolerances of today it would be pretty had to get one off that much.

Don't get me wrong the groups were fine, it was holding good groups just not were we were aiming. With the 7 round mag it would put all shots within 2-3 inches of each other. They just all seemed 8 inches low from where we were aiming.

We were shooting 230gr whit box. Same thing I was shooting through my 1911

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Maybe the sights are just off on this particular gun, not sure. Has anyone ever heard of sights being off that much from the factory? I would figure with the manufacturing tolerances of today it would be pretty had to get one off that much.

Don't get me wrong the groups were fine, it was holding good groups just not were we were aiming. With the 7 round mag it would put all shots within 2-3 inches of each other. They just all seemed 8 inches low from where we were aiming.

We were shooting 230gr whit box. Same thing I was shooting through my 1911

What are the manufacturing tolerances in Croatia......:)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    My father carries a 45 XDS. Ive shot it a mag or so, and the only complaint I had was its loud threw ear muff's, but its a 45 on a 3.5?? barrel, so its not like that's a big surprise.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I put night sights on all my pistols, and haven't had any issues. I have the XDS in both 45 and 9, 9 still has factory sights. I can put them through the same hole at 5 yards.

wrzr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    West Lafayette/South Bend
    I actually had the same accuracy problem with my XDS. Nobody that tested my XDS could hit what they were aiming at either. I was very dissatisfied with my XDS. After sending it in to springfield for the recall, it came back with a worse trigger than it left with. Needless to say I sold it.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    Come to think of it, the last XDS 45 I shot was very low to, and that was at 15 yards. To me the recoil was different than most other pistols I've shot, I wasn't a big fan of it. Hopefully the xds 9 4.0 doesn't have the same issue, as one might be coming home in a few days...

Top Bottom