• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    xd40 sub compact now, its weighted well, and the craftsmanship is good, I just dislike the .40.....I can handle a 45 much better. That being said, the xd40 has taken over for the glock in the carry department for now...lol

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I love my XD45C and I am seriously considering getting an XD9SC if they shoot as well as the 45. I have several other brands of pistols but the XD is the first polymer gun that I have owned and I have not had a minutes problem with any ammo. I guess I'll clean it when it stops shooting.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    A good summary on XDs is found here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/7945-why_do_i_need_a_glock-2.html

Originally Posted by Mike Elzinga
    XD's recoil more due to a much higher bore axis. This is also what lends to the 5" models feeling nose heavy. Go shoot the exact same load through an XD, a Glock, and a CZ. If you are honest about it, you will find they recoil most, less, and least. This is a direct relationship to how high the bore sits in your hand. If you like a gun with a little more recoil, or a busier muzzle end, as some people do, then fine. Just dont act like an XD is the end all be all for every situation. Lets not forget that Springfield didnt make the XD, they bought the design, and IMO, cut corners to make them even cheaper. The old HS2000's had issues of their own, but were still better than the current crop of XD's.

I've seen more XD's go full auto than all other semi automatic pistols combined. Then you get to ship it back, on your dime, and pay to have it fixed because Springfield wont sell any parts to you, or any gunsmith for that matter.

Try taking an XD all the way apart and you will need a pliers and flat screwdriver to pry the ejectors out, due to them being pressed in. That sound like advanced mechanical engineering to you? Then you get to use a brass hammer to tap it back into place, providing you havent broken the part removing it. The last ones I have seen were full of hollow roll pins, which when bent, smashed, or oblonged limit the flexing of the frame that is so important to function. Try putting an XD and a Glock through a 1,000 round weekend practice session, and I wouldnt bet a drive through dinner that an XD is still standing at the end. My Glock is still going after plenty of them.

My Glock eats lead bullets and 50,000 rounds later I'm still waiting for it to break. They eat everything from 9mm Major loads down to 100 pf steel loads with nothing more than a change in recoil spring. I'll put me and my Glock against an XD anyday if someone wants to take the Pepsi Challenge. I wont win them all, but I am confident I'd win enough to prove a point.

I dont really care what anyone else shoots, but lets at least be honest about what the score is, or make an attempt to look at things from a mechanical perspective when analyzing a mechanical item.

Also, there is no single platform to choose. We can all have 1911's, XD's, Glocks, Sig, Beretta, and even (gasp) revolvers, shoot them all and use them where each is best suited to a particular individual.

That is almost total Bull...

I found, shooting them back to back, that I liked shooting the XD much better. It's maybe got a LITTLE bit more muzzle flip compared to the glock, shooting them back to back to back, but not something you'd notice if it wasn't back to back (ETA: In fact, I didn't even notice until it was pointed out to me that I may feel it, then it was an "I guess I can feel it" effect), and because the grip on the XD is much better for my hand, I found the XD easier to control than the Glock. I also didn't like the unnatural grip angle... I always ended up pointing the Glock up farther than I wanted to and having to concentrate on bringing it down, whereas the XD (and pretty much everything else other than a MKII) has the same (natural) grip angle as the 1911...

I've been on XDTalk for a year and haven't seen any reports of any going full auto. In fact I think mine was one of the only ones that wouldn't feed 100% on some hollow points... until I got it fixed... It turned out that what I'll call the "sliding block" on the underside of the slide (that pushes the top round in the magazine back when the slide goes back) was too rough from whatever the metal process is that makes it resist corrosion, that it was pushing the top round in the magazine back too hard when running +P Hollow points, which had bulged out the back of the magazine. I called Springfield and they said send it in and they'd fix it and replace the mags. I didn't want to be without it for any real length of time, so I just polished up that "sliding block" myself (after making sure it wouldn't void the warranty), and they replaced all (5) of my mags free of charge, INCLUDING SHIPPING... As a matter of fact, Springfield stuff has a lifetime warranty, so you you don't have to "pay to have it fixed" ever, unless it's something you modified, voiding the warranty... BTW, they are now starting to have parts available, and are now becoming more open to selling the parts.

I've currently got ~2500 rounds through my XD45C 4", and after the initial 500 rounds when I got the only issue fixed, I've not had one failure of any kind, including the ~300 rounds my wife's put through it. AAMOF, that's the other part of getting the XD... At the range, my wife was having pretty consistant failure to feeds out of the Glocks because she couldn't get a good enough grip on them because of the large grip, and was basically limp-wristing it. I wanted something that my wife could pick up and fire more than one round without it jamming, so that put the final nail in the coffin for me buying a Glock.

Plus the grip safety is nice...

ETA: I've had a 550 round weekend with no cleaning and no issues... Haven't tried a 1000 round weekend, though...

Mike

Last edited:

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I think that no matter what XD you own, you are probably happy with it. You would probably buy another because you like them not because you found one cheap. They are a great weapon. I have seen a lot of trash talk about them from a certain group of shooters but I have not met anyone that did not like to shoot them.

terrance250

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Terre Haute, IN
    I carry a XD45C & the wife carries a XD9SC. Great pistols IMO. We've put thousands of rounds through both guns & have yet to have any problems.

I carried a Glock 23 for a long time, and although it was the perfect size & a very reliable gun, I just never did like the grip angle. My XD45C is roughly the same size, the grip angle is much more to my liking, and I'm a bigger fan of the .45ACP over the .40S&W any way.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I have not shot the .40 but I understand that it has a little more felt recoil than the .45. I don't think it has anything to do with what type of pistol you are shooting it from, I think it is just the nature of the beast.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    I've got an XD9sc. I was going to buy a glock until I held the XD. It felt so much better in my hands than the glock that I bought it without firing a shot. The only problem I've had is that once or twice when drawing from an IWB holster I've failed to get my grip right and didnt fully engage the grip safety, causing it to not fire when I pulled the trigger. I've spent more time drawing and dry-firing at home and havent had that problem since.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    How do you like that XD9SC, I am seriously thinking of buying one of them. I have looked at them a couple of times but have never fired them. Just sold off my Beretta that I never used because it was just too big for a CC gun. Now have the money for the XD.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    How do you like that XD9SC, I am seriously thinking of buying one of them. I have looked at them a couple of times but have never fired them. Just sold off my Beretta that I never used because it was just too big for a CC gun. Now have the money for the XD.

I love it and would buy it again in an instant if I had to do it over.

I've shot the .45 and 9mm xd's, I don't care to shoot them. I prefer a glock, and a 1911 over that ;)

A 1911 is definately on my list of things to get once I graduate and start making money, assuming all firearms havent been outlawed by then.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I'v only had my XD9sc for a couple of months, but I wouldn't part with it. It is comfortable to shoot and accurate as all get out. I like it so much I'm thinking about getting a tactical model next.

FattRed1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Pendleton
    I love my XD.40 I'm tough on my toys and have put lots (idk how many really) of rounds thru it. Never once has it malfunctioned, in 4 years.

All of my buddies carry them (with one owning 4 diff models!) and many of the Marines in my unit bought them upon returning home from Iraq.

Great gun, but I do recommend shooting it prior to buying. I shot a Glock (when I was shopping) and there was something that just wasn't right about the angle of its dangle, if ya get my drift.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Springfield has a new offer for free gear when you buy a new XD. You get two extra mags and a mag holster. Did not read the fine print so don't hold me to it being on every XD. Check it out, lowers the total cost of you purchase of a new gun.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Springfield has a new offer for free gear when you buy a new XD. You get two extra mags and a mag holster. Did not read the fine print so don't hold me to it being on every XD. Check it out, lowers the total cost of you purchase of a new gun.

IIRC, they've always had that. At least, when I bought my XD a couple of years ago, a gun holster, mag holster, two mags and a speed loader came with it. I don't think the kit has changed.

bnatc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Glock guys and XD guys are going to argue till the end. Go out and shot the XD. Go out and shoot as many handguns and you can get hold of. Buy the gun that you feel good shooting. The main thing is that you shoot what you carry and that you shoot it enough that it becomes familiar enough to you that in a high stress situation, you will know how to handle your weapon of choice.

When you get to that point, what ever you have chosen to carry, you too will argue that it is better than all of the others, even if it is not a Glock or XD.

Well put!!!

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    I think this is an additional accessories kit like everyone had for sale with just the mags and the mag holster. I got an email the other day from Springfield Armory. Showed picture of one of the accessory kits, not the stuff that is packaged with the pistol.

Go to springfieldarmory.com/gearup

It is indeed a limited offer from Oct. 15th to Jan. 15th for two extra mags and a mag holster. All of the other gear that comes with the purchase is still packaged with the pistol.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom