Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    how do the classifiers work?

I'm going to go ahead and join the USPSA, trying to learn the system.

The first four classifiers get your classification and then it changes based upon your best six scores from your most recent eight. We have a group of stages called classifiers that come complete with measurements so they can be set up the same across the nation. Ideally everyone shoots the same stage and are ranked from Grand master, master, A,B,C,D. So in matches you can compete in the same division (gun), and against people of a like ability (classification).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    One thing I have just realized is the difference in scoring between them. Seems Limited is more about speed than perfect marksmenship, while Production is rewards moving well but requiring much higher marksmenship.

One of the big differences you may be missing is that Production Division is always scored as minor power factor, so you get one less point for every non-A hit. In Limited, you can shoot either major power factor (like Coach and Slow1911s), or minor like BigCraig and a few others. Regardless of the division, if you shoot minor power factor, you have to shoot mostly As or you'll take a bigger penalty in points compared to those who shoot major.

Given that, you're right about Production, Limited 10, and Single Stack requiring better marksmanship, but it's mostly because you can't take as many chances. If you call a bad shot and you have a lot of extra rounds in your magazine (like in Limited or Open), you can take another with minimal loss of time. In the divisions with more restricted ammunition capacity, you can't afford the mistakes or you'll be doing extra reloads.

For instance, on a shooting position (or stage) that requires nine shots, a guy with only nine rounds maxium in his gun has to take a little more time with his trigger control and follow through because he can't afford any misses. If you have 22 rounds or more in the gun, you can push harder (i.e. try to go faster), and have a little insurance if you need it and you have the ability to call a bad shot.

Ultimately you should only compare your performance to others in your specific division. The combined results are not official and are not even supposed to be published (we do it because of the demand for it). If you look at the results for clubs like South Central, you'll notice they do not publish combined results because within the rules of USPSA, they are meaningless.

The divisions are supposed to be separate and division results are calculated only for those who are in that division. For instance, if you're in Production Division, your scores are only compared to others in Production. The performance of someone in Limited or Open plays no factor in determining the results of Production Division.

Equipment can make some difference, but take a look at the #2 in the combined results. He was shooting a single stack gun with 8 rounds in his magazines. Usually he is at the top of the combined results when he chooses to shoot with us at WVPPS/RileyCC. He's got both the accuracy and the speed plus a few other essential skills (like being able to analyze a stage and determine the best way to shoot it).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    At least you didn't get a "failure to engage target" and dump 60 points like me. I didn't see that target behind the barrels on stage 2 (I think).

It's unfortunate when that happens, but it's part of the game. Planning and thinking on the run are just as important as the basic shooting skills. That's one of the reasons why walkthroughs are allowed before the shooting starts.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The first four classifiers get your classification and then it changes based upon your best six scores from your most recent eight. We have a group of stages called classifiers that come complete with measurements so they can be set up the same across the nation. Ideally everyone shoots the same stage and are ranked from Grand master, master, A,B,C,D. So in matches you can compete in the same division (gun), and against people of a like ability (classification).

I think we should all expect you to get your Master Class card this year, by the way. If you don't, well, I'll be disappointed.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think Coach should shoot Single Stack. :whistle:

I will if I ever get to an IDPA match. But other than that don't count on it. Limited a .45 acp to 8 rounds when they make perfectly good ten round mags is stupid. I may have said this somewhere before.:)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...take a look at the #2 in the combined results. He was shooting a single stack gun with 8 rounds in his magazines. Usually he is at the top of the combined results when he chooses to shoot with us at WVPPS/RileyCC. He's got both the accuracy and the speed plus a few other essential skills (like being able to analyze a stage and determine the best way to shoot it).
    Coach done me a huge favor placing me with "#2" and slow1911s. Both are spooky good and not shy about sharing their knowledge.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    Another great match. If anyone is thinking about trying this type of shooting, do it. Does not matter what skill level you are.

Anyone shooting the the ss/prod state match on next weekend? I got stuck shooting sunday and all the people I know are shooting Saturday.

Top Bottom