WTH is wrong with the slide on my M&P???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Like I said, that's my opinion. How does the slide look now after cleaning? Does it look good, does it function? Everybody wants something for nothing, or at least very little. Sorry if my opinion varies from the other posters. :twocents:

And, seriously, if they gave you a new slide and some free mags who do you think would have paid for that? That shizzle don't grow on trees, to pay for it they'd have to raise their prices, so everybody that buys their products in the future pays more.

Yea your right, I pay $500 for a gun with a lifetime warranty, and low and behold it has a warranty issue and I shouldnt expect a brand new replacement part. Okay,

I demand equisite customer service for any warrantied item reguardless of what it is. I dont expect to be sent a used replacement part and have to just "work with it". I have sent over 2500 rounds down range with the old slide and it has never ever come close to looking as bad as the replacement I recieved. That sir is uneceptable.

To answer your questions: How does it look? After cleaning it still looks like I have owned and shot this slide for years, but its better. The finish is as it should be.

How does it function? Havent been to the range yet, but it does cycle thru a mag of rounds. When disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling the slide did get caught up a little when sliding back on the frame (unlike the og).

As far as wanting something for nothing...A. Its human nature. B. I didnt expect anything, but I am familiar with S&W's supposedly suppurb (sp)customer service and they will often include a mag or different sights for having to go thru the trouble of dealing with a warranty issue...which I think is completely excepable and a good measure of their commitment to their loyal customers such as myself. EVERY pistol that I own is a Smith & Wesson.

And No, these items dont grow on trees, they come from the massive production facility where they are made. I cant sit here and believe that you thinking that the prices will go up for them putting a mag in my return order. They scrap more mags during the manufacturing process than they give out for free...(Not to mention the 2 free mag offers that they often have). So as it should not be expected, it also, should not be a problem nor a variable used to raise prices. :twocents:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yea your right, I pay $500 for a gun with a lifetime warranty, and low and behold it has a warranty issue and I shouldnt expect a brand new replacement part. Okay,

I demand equisite customer service for any warrantied item reguardless of what it is. I dont expect to be sent a used replacement part and have to just "work with it". I have sent over 2500 rounds down range with the old slide and it has never ever come close to looking as bad as the replacement I recieved. That sir is uneceptable.

To answer your questions: How does it look? After cleaning it still looks like I have owned and shot this slide for years, but its better. The finish is as it should be.

How does it function? Havent been to the range yet, but it does cycle thru a mag of rounds. When disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling the slide did get caught up a little when sliding back on the frame (unlike the og).

As far as wanting something for nothing...A. Its human nature. B. I didnt expect anything, but I am familiar with S&W's supposedly suppurb (sp)customer service and they will often include a mag or different sights for having to go thru the trouble of dealing with a warranty issue...which I think is completely excepable and a good measure of their commitment to their loyal customers such as myself. EVERY pistol that I own is a Smith & Wesson.

And No, these items dont grow on trees, they come from the massive production facility where they are made. I cant sit here and believe that you thinking that the prices will go up for them putting a mag in my return order. They scrap more mags during the manufacturing process than they give out for free...(Not to mention the 2 free mag offers that they often have). So as it should not be expected, it also, should not be a problem nor a variable used to raise prices. :twocents:

You said you wanted to wait to see what others say in your post and then you get mad at me for expressing my opinion. It's just that, my opinion. Nobody asked you to like it and if you don't want to hear others opinions don't ask for them. Or is this one of those threads where everyone is supposed to pile on and bash S&W and cry along with you? If you have issues with them contact them. As far as the free mags go just add up how much it would cost if they just gave everyone that had warranty service done free mags. Everyone thinks b/c a company is big that they don't have to pay for the stuff they have. I dunno, maybe I'm still pissed b/c I just found out that I had 2 guns basically stolen from me by a supposed friend. I'm just sick of it all. Sorry for your problems....

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Looks to me like they fired a mag or two through your gun. Slide looks good to me. May or may not be a refurbished slide, but should work like new, and hopefully won't corrode again.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You said you wanted to wait to see what others say in your post and then you get mad at me for expressing my opinion. It's just that, my opinion. Nobody asked you to like it and if you don't want to hear others opinions don't ask for them. Or is this one of those threads where everyone is supposed to pile on and bash S&W and cry along with you? If you have issues with them contact them. As far as the free mags go just add up how much it would cost if they just gave everyone that had warranty service done free mags. Everyone thinks b/c a company is big that they don't have to pay for the stuff they have. I dunno, maybe I'm still pissed b/c I just found out that I had 2 guns basically stolen from me by a supposed friend. I'm just sick of it all. Sorry for your problems....

not to :hijack: but please tell me it wasnt one of your many 1911's??? I work with vwfred69 and he talks about your collection.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    not to :hijack: but please tell me it wasnt one of your many 1911's??? I work with vwfred69 and he talks about your collection.

Don't really want to say much about it, especially here, but it was a Colt Gold Cup MKIII .38 Mid Range and an Erma .22 Luger Navy Model.

alwalker84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Looks to me like they fired a mag or two through your gun. Slide looks good to me. May or may not be a refurbished slide, but should work like new, and hopefully won't corrode again.

Im starting to think it is from a couple mags of testing...

Im not going to make an issue out of it or call Smith & Wesson, as long as I dont have any problems when I take it shooting this weekend.

wolfy25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Indy

I agree it looks just fine to me and I would think the residue in the barrel would clean out with a swab or two. As long as the exterior of the slide is good I don't see a reason for complaint.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Do not think it's to much to recieve a new slide.

This...

You would expect a new slide. Not a reconditioned or used one. The numbers that have been written on the slide is a dead give away of either being used or remaned. New
    m&p's don't come like that. What's the reason
    for returning it to the customer not in new condition as you would expect. If somone returmed their 1000 dollar kimber for warranty work and they sent back a filthy used slide. I'm pretty sure there would be some discomfort in receiving that type of service to your 1000 dollar gun.

As far as reciving free stuff from S&W it has been noted several times and on several boards that they sometimes throw in goodies (night sights,mag) just for the trouble. That's cool and all but the op knew that it was no biggie that he didn't get these things and I don't think he expected them either just good service with new materials.

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast

If you have a weapon that is only a few weeks old, never had any weathering and cleaning chemicals applied to it and only shot a few times, I would expect new parts.

You stated that you have shot over 2500 rounds through this pistol and you expect what?
    I would more than happy that they exchanged my defective finish with anything that looks good and works - espeacially knowing that I have shot it as much as you have. As for the dirty barrel and slide, I would be happy that they tested the weapon to ensure that it was a safe and usable handgun.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    This...

You would expect a new slide. Not a reconditioned or used one. The numbers that have been written on the slide is a dead give away of either being used or remaned. New
    m&p's don't come like that. What's the reason
    for returning it to the customer not in new condition as you would expect. If somone returmed their 1000 dollar kimber for warranty work and they sent back a filthy used slide. I'm pretty sure there would be some discomfort in receiving that type of service to your 1000 dollar gun.

As far as reciving free stuff from S&W it has been noted several times and on several boards that they sometimes throw in goodies (night sights,mag) just for the trouble. That's cool and all but the op knew that it was no biggie that he didn't get these things and I don't think he expected them either just good service with new materials.

I agree. You pay $xxx's for a quality gun with a manufacturers warranty. You gotta think the manufacturer figures in warranty work in the price of the gun. If he bought that gun NEW I would fully expect to get a NEW slide replacement. AL already said it was "no biggie" that he didn't get a free mag.

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    If you have a weapon that is only a few weeks old, never had any weathering and cleaning chemicals applied to it and only shot a few times, I would expect new parts.

You stated that you have shot over 2500 rounds through this pistol and you expect what?
    I would more than happy that they exchanged my defective finish with anything that looks good and works - espeacially knowing that I have shot it as much as you have. As for the dirty barrel and slide, I would be happy that they tested the weapon to ensure that it was a safe and usable handgun.

It doesn't matter how many rounds he put through it, the warranty work was not a result of how many rounds he fired through the gun. It was because the slide wasn't finished properly..

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    It doesn't matter how many rounds he put through it, the warranty work was not a result of how many rounds he fired through the gun. It was because the slide wasn't finished properly..

How many times was the slide wiped down and with what kind of cleaner? If the cleaner ate the finish away???

You remove the clear coat on your car, do expect the car manufacturer to repaint your car?

40calPUNISHER

Master
    Rating - 99.1%
    116   1   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    How many times was the slide wiped down and with what kind of cleaner? If the cleaner ate the finish away???

You remove the clear coat on your car, do expect the car manufacturer to repaint your car?

S&W has already acknowleged that they have messed up on a short run of slides... You are trying to make something out of nothing.

Last edited:

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    I'm just amused by the people that have absolutely no fracking clue what melonite really is. It's not some crappy spray on coating. It's a salt bath process that bonds on a molecular level and penetrates into the steel itself a couple thousanths of an inch (kinda like case hardening). It's not something you're gonna scratch off or wear off with some harsh cleaner. Hell, everything is heated to upwards of 1,000-1,100 degees to apply it. You're not getting anywhere near that when firing. Glocks have Tennifer (same thing) with a coat of black stuff over it (used to be parkerizing for the Gen 2's and before). The M&P should be just as impervious to the elements as Glock if the melonite process wasn't screwed up. They screwed it up and had some problems, now they're taking care of it.I won't comment on the issue of new slide/used slide as I can see the pros and cons of both sides.

Top Bottom